Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Some the issues I had:

- WiFi connectivity
- Lag with Mission Control when invoking (on a retina Mac)
- Lag with animations in general
- Slow shutdown times
- Messages not syncing sometimes
- Mail is terrible
- Lag in Finder scrolling
- Lag with Preview documents

...the list goes on and on. I found it to be a terrible OS. El Cap, even in beta 1, vastly improves performance and fixes most of these issues.

I have the same system as you and had none of those issues except the messages sync bug which was an iMessage server issue unrelated to the OS. If the OS was such a huge failure there would be media reports. The media loves to report anything negative about apple.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I've had Mail crash on me on multiple occasions, downloading messages over and over again, saving draft copies of the same message multiple times.

WiFi disconnects intermittently, not to mention that it doesn't work with mi iPhone's personal hotspot at all.

Messages have syncing, sending issues- they arrive on receiving ends iPhone but not on computer.

Safari requires restarts to use Google search - I get a timeout every so often. Also, El Cap is the first desktop Mac OS where I got the "Page reloaded because of a problem" - there I was thinking this would be relegated to my 6+.

Neither Continuity nor Handoff work for me at all.

This touches on some of the issues I encountered. I like the graphical smoothness and the fact that I suddenly don't run out of RAM as I did, while doing the same things, so there are definitely positives.
But I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the people who claim that El Cap is such a blast while Yosemite was crap. Yosemite might have had it's problems, but El Cap is hardly mature enough to get all head over heels about it just yet.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
What features do you want then? El Cap was never meant to be a feature packed release anyway.

In 10 years it would have been nice to maybe throw in some screen savers that don't look like 1990, maybe a launch pad that doesn't look like the tired iPhone home screen. Maybe video wallpapers, maybe some better customization like windows (mail notifications, weather widget on the home screen, news feed somewhere on the screen, etc, without having to go into an old school separate display).

Sorry if this seems like a windows windows windows ad, but to be honest, they're doing it right with 8.1 and really right with 10. Looks 2015 instead of 2005. Took them a while to get to this point, but they're here, Apple is not.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
In 10 years it would have been nice to maybe throw in some screen savers that don't look like 1990, maybe a launch pad that doesn't look like the tired iPhone home screen. Maybe video wallpapers, maybe some better customization like windows (mail notifications, weather widget on the home screen, news feed somewhere on the screen, etc, without having to go into an old school separate display).

Sorry if this seems like a windows windows windows ad, but to be honest, they're doing it right with 8.1 and really right with 10. Looks 2015 instead of 2005. Took them a while to get to this point, but they're here, Apple is not.
These features aren't major... And geek tool gives you widgets on the desktop.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

Double post.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
These features aren't major... And geek tool gives you widgets on the desktop.

I didn't realize Apple had bought Geek Tool and incorporated it into the OS. The features aren't major? What's the first thing you notice when you look at a computer? It's overall design, and the look of the OS. I beg to differ the features aren't major. It's the most prominent aspect of Windows OS ... tiles. What's prominent about OS X? The dock. Which hasn't changed in 10 years.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I didn't realize Apple had bought Geek Tool and incorporated it into the OS. The features aren't major? What's the first thing you notice when you look at a computer? It's overall design, and the look of the OS. I beg to differ the features aren't major. It's the most prominent aspect of Windows OS ... tiles. What's prominent about OS X? The dock. Which hasn't changed in 10 years.
Then it sounds like Windows is for you, and OS X isn't. Plenty of people are very happy with OS X, especially after Apple announced a version dedicated to improving performance and stability. You're simply not one of them, and that's okay.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Then it sounds like Windows is for you, and OS X isn't. Plenty of people are very happy with OS X, especially after Apple announced a version dedicated to improving performance and stability. You're simply not one of them, and that's okay.

Plenty of people are happy with their old Mac, their old iPhone, and their old cars. So should all manufacturers just stagnate their product development because a lot of people are happy with the same old-same old?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Windows tiles
Ugh

Makes for a nice desktop when you can see news, emails, stocks, weather, and other things all on your desktop. So funny how many people trash the idea, yet those same people are the ones showing off their jailbroken home screens with widgets all over it, LOL

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Plenty of people are happy with their old Mac, their old iPhone, and their old cars. So should all manufacturers just stagnate their product development because a lot of people are happy with the same old-same old?
You're implying that development of OS X has stagnated. This is only your opinion. Again, OS X simply doesn't seem to be what you want.

Reactions: chabig

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
You're implying that development of OS X has stagnated. This is only your opinion. Again, OS X simply doesn't seem to be what you want.

I'd say it absolutely has stagnated in my opinion. Your opinion is that it hasn't. I guess your opinion is more right than others' opinions. It's bizarre that you keep going with the "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" in regards to OS X. It's people like you that accept stagnation and complacency to where Apple is able to get away with it.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I'd say it absolutely has stagnated in my opinion. Your opinion is that it hasn't. I guess your opinion is more right than others' opinions. It's bizarre that you keep going with the "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" in regards to OS X. It's people like you that accept stagnation and complacency to where Apple is able to get away with it.

Indeed, it is only my opinion, and I never claimed or implied that it was any more than that. I just don't believe that performance and stability improvements are minor.

And it's "people like me" that are happy with the software and hardware that I use, because I use what works best for me.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

And I guess your opinion is more right then Tubamajuba. I will take OS X stagnation over something like Windows newest mess of a OS. And to think Microsoft still uses the registry in Windows 10. And how long has Windows been using the registry, since 1992. So your opinion has to be correct, right.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
And it's "people like me" that are happy with the software and hardware that I use, because I use what works best for me.

Not sure the "everything is great" works when you have 8% marketshare. Sure, the average user is happier with their computer\device than the average MSFT customer, but when you have only 8% of the market share, your users tend to be more fanatics. I'll admit, I have both a PC and a Mac, and I give Apple considerably more leniency on my criticism than I do Windows.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Not sure the "everything is great" works when you have 8% marketshare. Sure, the average user is happier with their computer\device than the average MSFT customer, but when you have only 8% of the market share, your users tend to be more fanatics. I'll admit, I have both a PC and a Mac, and I give Apple considerably more leniency on my criticism than I do Windows.
Apple isn't going to make business decisions solely around increasing marketshare. OS X has had a low marketshare ever since it was released, and Apple has shown no signs of being concerned about that. Significantly reducing the prices of Macs would increase the marketshare of OS X far more than anything Apple could ever do with software.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that fanaticism is why OS X users tend to be happier with their platform than Windows users. The people most disappointed with Yosemite's performance and instability weren't the people who bought a Mac for the first time- those people probably didn't notice much of anything. It was the people that have been using Macs for years if not decades that were most irritated by the issues that Yosemite brought them. Just look at all the diehard Mac users on MacRumors that still favor Snow Leopard over anything that has come since then. El Capitan is designed to address the needs of those consumers more than it is designed to introduce new features or UI paradigms. If there is anything that contributes to generally high satisfaction rates with OS X, it's that "Yosemites" are few and far between.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechGod

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast

8% market share with only one hardware OEM vs Windows and its literally thousands of OEM's ... I would say that Apple's market share is quite healthy and Apple's bottom line would agree with me.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
8% market share with only one hardware OEM vs Windows and its literally thousands of OEM's ... I would say that Apple's market share is quite healthy and Apple's bottom line would agree with me.

What you said is exactly correct. Apple is already earning money from their Mac line ups, and I'm sure Apple has already done their economical models (DWL, etc) to get the price at the right point from their perspective.

Reactions: TechGod

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004

Video wallpapers? Now this is just so 2005. Add a new, useless layer of distraction that just eats away on system resources.

As for the Windows tile interface - to each their own. Sure Apple is playing catchup with features such as Split View etc., but the fact that Microsoft rolled out the whole Modern UI thing doesn't automatically make it any more useful. I find myself going back to the traditional Start menu on Windows 8.1 more than anything else not because I find Modern UI to add nothing but clutter and bling.

Mackker

macrumors member
May 22, 2015

Hey kid, go back and do your homework. You can play Halo on your Windows computer afterwards.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
You say that in your opinion Windows looks better. I say, that for me, OSX especially in retina mode looks better. Who wins this? Both, and none of us.

Why argue about completely meaningful things?

Reactions: ErikGrim

Keene1bj

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
Apple isn't going to make business decisions solely around increasing marketshare. OS X has had a low marketshare ever since it was released, and Apple has shown no signs of being concerned about that. Significantly reducing the prices of Macs would increase the marketshare of OS X far more than anything Apple could ever do with software.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that fanaticism is why OS X users tend to be happier with their platform than Windows users. The people most disappointed with Yosemite's performance and instability weren't the people who bought a Mac for the first time- those people probably didn't notice much of anything. It was the people that have been using Macs for years if not decades that were most irritated by the issues that Yosemite brought them. Just look at all the diehard Mac users on MacRumors that still favor Snow Leopard over anything that has come since then. El Capitan is designed to address the needs of those consumers more than it is designed to introduce new features or UI paradigms. If there is anything that contributes to generally high satisfaction rates with OS X, it's that "Yosemites" are few and far between.

Great point. I first came to OS X last year from a windows 8 machine (surface pro 3) and was immediately impressed with Yosemites pollish and reliability. The integration with my iPhone, the easy setup and reliability of my Epson printer/scanner, and the ease of setup and integration with my base station extreme. I was sold on Apples ecosystem and integration of devices. Previously I had a windows 8.1 phone, surface pro 3, and an Xbox One. I was surprised that there was almost zero integration between the three besides Onedrive. I didn't want to feel like I "had" to have an apple machine but I feel that way now.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
You say that in your opinion Windows looks better. I say, that for me, OSX especially in retina mode looks better. Who wins this? Both, and none of us.

Why argue about completely meaningful things?

What is retina mode? Please explain.

I think you meant "why argue about completely meaningless things?" ??? Because the expression you wrote doesn't make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.