Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaijinjim

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by iHack
...NO WAY you can compare this to M$ crap. After being a PC poweruser for many years, all this mac stuff is trivial. To a former PC user, many Mac users are lazy whiners...

Okay, love the fact that I was called a whiner. I have been a Mac user since almost day one. First Mac in 1986. The thing with using a Mac is the fact that Apple has always been great with their quality control. They control both the hardware and software to ensure that the computer/OS work properly together. That is the thing that makes Macs superior over PCs. It works; people are not forced to try and figure things out and pray that they work.

However, I have never had the black screen occur since I have used Software Update even when it was buggy in 10.0. Also, the Mac did not fall asleep after the installation. I stepped away from the computer for less than five minutes, less than the time set for it to sleep.

And obviously you have not been dealing constantly with Apple trying to resolve the Airport Extreme issue. Crud I even sent them a tcpdump of my network traffic so they could inspect the packets to determine what is going on.

And if you read the post, you would notice that I didn't compare Apple to M$, but stated that Apple is headed down the same path that M$ took, in the fact that the current software releases are not up to par with the quality Apple has been known.

Later.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by iHack
Same here. it seems you should not have you mac fall asleep after running the update and before rebooting. The problem is minor really. After the hard reboot, everything is fine and dandy.

My TiPBG4-400 reliably hard freezes if I put it to sleep before remote access has fully and completely gone into idle mode. No quick log-off and close the case while computer shuts down even that process.

Whenever we see a hard freeze related to sleep one wonders if it is not the sleep utility that has a bug. It may be Apple either is not getting enough sleep bug reports or that it is a problem as difficult to find as the Airport Estreme firmware x.1.1 bug.

Rocketman

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
How long did you wait for it to wake up?

My computer did also fall asleep after the installation, I made sure to turn off sleep because I needed my computer to download and install all last night (the wonders of dial-up). This morning when I hit the spacebar to wake it up, it didn't wake up immediately. About 15 seconds later the screen flashed on and then went back off, so I just banged on the keyboard for a little while longer. When it didn't do anything I left it alone and went and brushed my teeth and washed my face and lo and behold when I came back the computer was up and telling me to restart.

It took a while to boot that first time but I rebooted it again and it seemed just fine. Umm. . . so my point is. . . wait longer for it to wake up! Or maybe I just got lucky. . .

btw, this is on a 700mHz eMac CDRW

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
My TiBook 500 is at least twice as fast as it was before. I think part of that may be that the optimization look 20min. Possibily, OSX now uses my full complement of RAM, shrinking the swap file, and making the machine respond faster. Its also possible, that 10.2.8 finally setup the AGP bus to start borrowing memory from the internal memory, like its suppossed to .

TEG

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
No internet!!!

The good news about 10.2.8 is that Virtual PC does not seem to freeze the entire system now. That is a good thing.

The very horrible thing is my internet no longer works! Even when booting up, it just hangs when trying to initialize the network. My internet was working just fine until I installed 10.2.8! If anyone knows how I can fix this problem, please suggest a solution! I'm currently using my iBook, so I'm not completely computerless right now.

macmonster

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Install went very well but I lost all file association to my Microsoft Office and other applications. Docs on the desktop show up as blank page icons. Did not have time last night to mess with it.

This is on a iMac 800 FP.

fahlman

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
How's it work on Rev. C iMacs?

Has anyone installed 10.2.8 on an Rev. C iMac (266MHz)? I have one. It contains all our accounting information for our small company. I will back up anything important before installing the update, so losing the information is not a problem, but reinstalling OS X and all the applicaions is something that my schedule doesn't permit. Maybe I should wait. Any advice?

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Re: No internet!!!

Originally posted by edenwaith

The very horrible thing is my internet no longer works!

You're not the only one have trouble with the internet. I'm getting a really wierd bug. When I boot my TiBook 1ghz, it doesn't find my wireless network anymore. Get this, if I unplug my linksys router and plug it back in, 10.2.8 finds it instantly. I've never had this problem until I installed 10.2.8. Is anyone having similar problems?

avvpiras

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Cagliari, Italy
iMac LCD 15" G4 800Mhz

As for the previous updates, I have downloaded the standalone 10.2.8 combo installer, in order to have a fresh new update directly from the original Jaguar 10.2.
The first restart after the update has been a little slow, with a quite long delay (blank blue screen) after completing the progress bar and before the login screen.
Immediately after completing the startup, I ran Disk Utility to repair permissions, then I made another restart, that has been quite snappy and without any problems.
Everything seems to work well, Safary seems noticeably faster at startup and when loading pages.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Installed on a 15 inch FP iMac - 800 MHz. No problems.

Currently installing on a AL 15 PB - the install hangs while loading. This has happenned twice. Not sure if this is the same issue, but I may cancel the upload and wait until these issues are sorted out.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: How's it work on Rev. C iMacs?

Originally posted by fahlman
Has anyone installed 10.2.8 on an Rev. C iMac (266MHz)? I have one. It contains all our accounting information for our small company. I will back up anything important before installing the update, so losing the information is not a problem, but reinstalling OS X and all the applicaions is something that my schedule doesn't permit. Maybe I should wait. Any advice?

Wouldn't even try. Without Firewire or SCSI possible on that machine without at least a $350 upgrade, you are better off getting a Blue and White G3 or better to run Mac OS X. No Firewire means no fast reliable backups. No reliable backups mean you need to keep your operating system pristine clean except for Apple software and no third party hacks or utilities that might break during the next software update. And if they do break you want to as quickly as possible recover to the last system version update.

JasonGutierrez

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Texas
Mac OS Dead.2.8

I noticed that the ScreenSaver preference is dead, or dead slow. It was taking a super long time to recognize that I even had screen savers in the library. I think there is a problem with the sleep. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another update in the next few days.

Strangely enough this only happened on one of my three Macs.
10.2.8 server seems to be unaffected.

matttichenor

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
DiskWarrior

I experienced that Blue Screen and no login on two Powermacs with one of the previous 10.2.x updates. I seem to remeber it being a permissions problem, but the long and the short of it was that I then bought DiskWarrior and it has been a lifesaver. It solves a lot of these problems right away and keeps the system optimised. This coming from a guy who never, ever uses utilities (Norton SUX). I couldn't recomend DiskWarrior enough, it totally rocks and is well worth having close to any Mac.

m

ALoLA

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2003
Greater Los Angeles Area
10.2.8 ok for my iMacs

Used Software Update to update to 10.2.8 on my 800 MHz G4 15" iMac and my 266 MHz G3 (upgraded to 500 MHz w/Firewire) tangerine iMac. Both running fine with no problems.

JasonGutierrez

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Texas
Still Dead.2.8

After running the hardware test disk (extended) and rebooting, nothing happened. This really sucks. I'm having to write this post from a peecee while my TI decides what to do. How embarrasing.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
OK on my 17" 800Mhz iMac.

(input menubar item still appears after some restarts though - will they ever fix that?)

iHack

macrumors regular
Maybe I should've been a little more generous with the sarcasm...
Originally posted by gaijinjim
Okay, love the fact that I was called a whiner. I have been a Mac user since almost day one. First Mac in 1986. The thing with using a Mac is the fact that Apple has always been great with their quality control. They control both the hardware and software to ensure that the computer/OS work properly together. That is the thing that makes Macs superior over PCs. It works; people are not forced to try and figure things out and pray that they work.

However, I have never had the black screen occur since I have used Software Update even when it was buggy in 10.0. Also, the Mac did not fall asleep after the installation. I stepped away from the computer for less than five minutes, less than the time set for it to sleep.

And obviously you have not been dealing constantly with Apple trying to resolve the Airport Extreme issue. [snip]

And if you read the post, you would notice that I didn't compare Apple to M$, but stated that Apple is headed down the same path that M$ took [snip]
Later.

hey, sounds like a comparison to me ;)
Sounds like we agree on the Macs being superior thing. In the early says you had to be half a mechanic to be able to drive a car. Nowadays, most people don't have a clue about what's happening under the hood... and they shouldn't have to know. Windows still seems to be in the Model T Ford era...

Sorry to hear about the Airport extreme issue...
I've been impressed by airport extreme since I've got it. I'm on my network as soon as I walk into my home office with my 12" PoBo. Practically no configuration necessary, except for some security stuff. The only thing is that my wife's Dell LS sub-notebook I put a wifi card in can't reconnect after it lost its connection. The only fix I can find is to turn of virtually all security. All my neighbours have to do is spoof the MAC address of the pccard and their in... Bummer.

M.

Marc2B

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
10.2.8 problems

:eek: I've got 10 G4s here and have downloaded it onto 6 of them. Three of them have had the ethernet crap out. Lovely. The three that crapped are 2-733s and 1 800. I downloaded 10.2.6 onto my Xserve, copied the download onto the 1.25, wrote it to a CD-R, and now I'm going to try and do an archieve install from the 10.2 disks, and upgrade back to 10.2.6. This whole thing pisses me off to no end.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
This looks like a real mess. (Glad I held off!) Apple needs to yank this update soon. Imagine all the less tech-savvy Mac users seeking Software Update pop up, letting it update, and then being flummoxed and PO'ed when their computers stop working. (Sort of like the tech-savvy ones, actually. But at least the tech-savvy ones can find their way here to complain and commiserate.)

JasonGutierrez

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Texas
Dead.2.8

This is cute (from the Apple site)

You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. This precautionary statement does not apply to the normal installation of application software.

Who doesn't have third party system software installed? Don't blame it on others doode.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
My G4-733 went down after the update. It restarted after the install ok, but the keyboard wasnt working, so i shut down and restarted. Nothing happend for 5min, then i got the broken folder Icon. After many restarts and trying to book of old system / norton disks, I got it to start up in os9.2 from the original install disk that came with the machine. Neither of the 2 internal drivers were mounted, only one could be seen in first aid!. I shut down and opened up the computer to see if the drives were spinning, when i started up, it booted ok in to 10.2.8 fine except for asking me to set up my bluetooth mouse, that I dont have! very odd, may wait a while until I update my ibook.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.