10.2-Inch iPad Said to Launch in the Fall as Successor to 9.7-Inch iPad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple is widely expected to release a new 10.2-inch iPad later this year as a replacement for its $329 entry-level 9.7-inch iPad, and hit-or-miss Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes has now added its weight to this rumor, claiming that the tablet will be released in the "late third quarter."

If accurate, that timeframe means the 10.2-inch iPad would be released by the end of September, suggesting that the device might be unveiled alongside new iPhones at Apple's usual September event.

iPad releases in the fall have typically occurred in October, including in 2012 through 2014 and again in 2018. September would not be totally out of the ordinary, however, as Apple unveiled the original iPad Pro and the iPad mini 4 at its September 2015 event without hosting an October event that year.

It's worth noting that DigiTimes has a rather unreliable track record as it relates to the timing of new Apple products. This week alone, for example, the website published one report saying the 16-inch MacBook Pro will be released in September and another saying the notebook will launch in October.

Multiple sources have outlined expectations for a new 10.2-inch iPad, including reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and the previously-reliable mystery Twitter account CoinX. Apple has also filed several unreleased iPad models running iPadOS 13 in a Eurasian regulatory database, as legally required.

The 10.2-inch iPad would have a modestly larger display than the 9.7-inch iPad, possibly in tandem with narrower bezels.

A reasonable assumption would be that Apple will unveil new iPhones and Apple Watches in September and save the rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro, 10.2-inch iPad, and iPad Pro refresh for October, but Apple could always break with tradition.

Article Link: 10.2-Inch iPad Said to Launch in the Fall as Successor to 9.7-Inch iPad

SamuelFleming

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
So we’ll have a 10.2 inch iPad, 10.5 inch iPad, 11 inch iPad, and 13 inch iPad. Not confusing at all.
It dose seem a little confusing. All of the Apple lineup is a little confusing right now as these new rumored devices don't quite seem to fit with what exists. Hopefully they won't keep all these models around for too long. It seems like it would make some sense to get rid of the Air and keep the Pro the high priced one. But then what do I know? Or maybe the 10.2 will become a multi tiered device like a laptop with high and low end internals.
[doublepost=1564669888][/doublepost]
I think they're going to fix the entire lineup offering.
We really hope so. Same goes for the MacBooks.

Reactions: sydneysider88

supertiffany

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2019
If they keep the 10.2 on the 9.7 factor that woulf be better

The 10.5 is too wieldy.

They should do

And make the ipad mini with ipad pro bezels too, like the form factor of the ipad mini and it will sell a lot if it has slimmer bezels like ipad pro

TriBruin

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
This seems very questionable. One of Apple's primary market for their low cost iPads is Education. Well, Education has already bought their iPads for the 2019-2020 school year. It won't be until early 2020 that they start looking at their next purchases. That is why the low cost iPads have typically been released in the March/April time Fram.

Reactions: ConfusedChris

supertiffany

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2019
It dose seem a little confusing. All of the Apple lineup is a little confusing right now as these new rumored devices don't quite seem to fit with what exists. Hopefully they won't keep all these models around for too long. It seems like it would make some sense to get rid of the Air and keep the Pro the high priced one. But then what do I know? Or maybe the 10.2 will become a multi tiered device like a laptop with high and low end internals.
[doublepost=1564669888][/doublepost]
We really hope so. Same goes for the MacBooks.

It will be:

Budget iPad: 10.2 inches
Future ipad mini: 8.4 (7.9 with slimmer bezels)
iPad Air: 10.5
iPad Pro: 11 and 13

Maybe thats their line looking forward for budget ipad ipad getting better display, the current one is not as responsive, even air 2 is better

SamuelFleming

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
They kinda fixed the MacBook lineup a few weeks ago when they killed the 12 inch MacBook. MacBook Air is the consumer portable, and MacBook Pro is the pro portable. That falls in line with the product grid Steve created when he returned in 1997 to simplify the lineup.
I agree that right at this minute it makes some sense, but if these rumored 14" and 16" models are dropped into the lineup it will be a mess again.

The one thing I don't understand about the most recent round of updates is why they didn't change the base 13" MBP to just a MB after they dropped the 12". To my mind that would have made lots of sense so that it would be easier to tell if you had the high end processor or the low end and if you had 2 or 4 Thunderbolt ports.

CarlJ

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I just hope they add support for the newer Apple Pencil so that the whole lineup can use the same one.
My understanding is, the newer Pencil requires a different, more expensive, kind of screen. Given that this is the entry-level iPad, I don't expect that to happen.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
A small and a big standard iPad, then a bigger and bigger again Pro model, makes sense to me, so long as they drop the 10.5” model.
Agreed. And the 10.5 will be dead

On a side note, it must be really expensive to stock and sell cases for all these slightly different form factors. Maybe they need the adjust-o-case for the iPad xxx

Reactions: apolloa and smulji

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
So we’ll have a 10.2 inch iPad, 10.5 inch iPad, 11 inch iPad, and 13 inch iPad. Not confusing at all.
We'll have:
  • $329 iPad (32 GB), TouchID, 1st gen Pencil, two speakers, 7.5 mm, A10
  • $499 iPad Air (64 GB), TouchID, laminated & wide-gamut display, 1st gen Pencil, two speakers, 6.1 mm, A12
  • $799 iPad Pro (64 GB), FaceID, laminated & wide-gamut display, 2nd gen Pencil, four speakers, ProMotion, USB-C, 5.9 mm, A12X
The second is 52% more expensive than the first, and the third is 60% more expensive than the second. Where is the confusion?
[doublepost=1564671295][/doublepost]
They kinda fixed the MacBook lineup a few weeks ago when they killed the 12 inch MacBook. MacBook Air is the consumer portable, and MacBook Pro is the pro portable. That falls in line with the product grid Steve created when he returned in 1997 to simplify the lineup.
Except that there are still two different 13" MBPs.

Last edited: