10.3 forces you to change passcode

macTW

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
As the title says, for multiple people I know, iOS 10.3 forced us all to change unlock passcodes, even those of us who recently changed it. On top of that, there is now a minimum length for passcodes - 4 characters.

Just an FYI for anybody who didn't see this in the update notes (I didn't).

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Never saw that either, nor did I have to or was forced to change my passcode on my phone when upgrading from 10.2.1 to 10.3. My passcode is alphanumeric, plus am using TouchID. That's on my iPhone 6s.

My wife didn't have to do anything either, upgrading her 6s+ from 10.0.2 -> 10.3, and hers is a 6 digit passcode.

Finally, no passcode on her iPad 4 WiFi running 10.0.2. No forcing of changing the passcode there either. It will prompt you to set a passcode if you want to set one, but does not force you to change an existing passcode to something else.

There's nothing in the notes for that, because that isn't something that is or should happen.

BL.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I can see where it would be confusing to someone who doesn't go through the setup screens very often though. The list only shows 'Do Not Use Passcode' when you press on Passcode Options.

Apple maybe can be accused of being somewhat opaque on the matter since they don't present the option to not use a passcode in the initial screen for it.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Hasn't it always been a minimum of 4? Or, if you choose 'more complex' passcode, does it let you do less? (don't have device with me to test at the moment)

cbreze

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I noticed this as well. Set up a 4 digit passcode before I remembered I don't use a passcode. Lol.

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
My passcode stayed the same on my 7+ and I chose no passcode on my wife's 7 and 6+.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As the title says, for multiple people I know, iOS 10.3 forced us all to change unlock passcodes, even those of us who recently changed it. On top of that, there is now a minimum length for passcodes - 4 characters.

Just an FYI for anybody who didn't see this in the update notes (I didn't).
Upgraded and didn't need to do anything in relation to the passcode (aside from having to enter it to start the update and after the phone turned back on).

macTW

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Here's the sequence of events:

Downloaded iOS update.
Begun install.
Install complete - type in passcode to unlock after shutdown
Hello screen.
Enter Apple ID password.
Choose to send analytics to Apple.
Got to home screen.

A few seconds later... a pop up saying I have to change my passcode.

This wasn't in the white-screen introduction portion. This was after all that, hence why I think something in 10.3 changed that required a minimum length of a passcode to 4 characters and anything shorter wouldn't be allowed.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Here's the sequence of events:

Downloaded iOS update.
Begun install.
Install complete - type in passcode to unlock after shutdown
Hello screen.
Enter Apple ID password.
Choose to send analytics to Apple.
Got to home screen.

A few seconds later... a pop up saying I have to change my passcode.

This wasn't in the white-screen introduction portion. This was after all that, hence why I think something in 10.3 changed that required a minimum length of a passcode to 4 characters and anything shorter wouldn't be allowed.
Do you have any sort of business email accounts on your device? Or perhaps an Outlook mail server sort of thing? These (and possibly other similar things) can result in the requirement for a passcode change.

Reactions: psac and Nermal

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
4 numbers was the minimum then it changed to 6 numbers.

Are you using the non-number password option using letters and numbers? I don't use that so not familiar enough. Also, this could be a point of confusion for many reading this.

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
6 is now the default, but isn't the minimum; you can still use 4 if you prefer.
Interesting - you appear to be correct! Kinda have to jump through hoops to get there though. Once you choose it, and you go to change your passcode, it does try to make you go to 6 characters.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Interesting - you appear to be correct! Kinda have to jump through hoops to get there though. Once you choose it, and you go to change your passcode, it does try to make you go to 6 characters.
Yeah, I believe since iOS 10 came out, if not sometime before that, they've tried to push 6-digit passcode as the default basically, but there's still a way generally to select a different type of passcode (or no passcode at all).
[doublepost=1490837587][/doublepost]
4 numbers was the minimum then it changed to 6 numbers.

Are you using the non-number password option using letters and numbers? I don't use that so not familiar enough. Also, this could be a point of confusion for many reading this.
It was more of a default rather that the minimum, as in 6 is basically the default that is suggested/offered now, but 4 can still be selected. That might be different for actual alphanumeric passwords/passcodes (vs. the number PIN ones).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.