Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
danman said:
So, no updates to OpenGL - so no threading a la current Mac Pros. :(

Grasping at straws perhaps, but...

Assuming the multithreaded OpenGL was implemented in a later build of 10.4.7 for the Mac Pros, we'd hope it was already thoroughly tested before it found its way into a shipping release. So, let's hope it's simply not noteworthy enough for seed recipients to focus on during testing.

Fingers crossed!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I don't like this many updates. Yes, it is good to get some issues fixed, but in my opinion the updates are coming in too soon. I'd prefer to get good updates twice a year, which would allow 3rd party software developers to fully test their software against each OS revision. Now they have very hard time to do so, especially specialiced companies like Digidesign who make premium audio software and "has to" support each OS version.

Two months between releases is not enough. I want more.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Fix Aiport on MBP please

I've been having weird problems with Airport connections since 10.4.7 update. Although the connection appears to be working it doesn't get an IP address so I have to turn the airport off and back on to successfully join the network. Really annoying :mad: and doesn't happen with my iBook G4 running 10.4.7 :confused:

tmphoto

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
USB is broken for some of us

bousozoku said:
Eeek. They're touching USB again. I expect another round of kernel panics coming from hot plug issues.

They need to touch USB again. For some of us it has been broken since 10.4.7. My PowerBook stopped seeing my Canon 5D. No tethered shooting.
Not funny.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
tmphoto said:
They need to touch USB again. For some of us it has been broken since 10.4.7. My PowerBook stopped seeing my Canon 5D. No tethered shooting.
Not funny.

You should be using FireWire or does Canon not support FireWire in such an expensive body?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
JFreak said:
I don't like this many updates. Yes, it is good to get some issues fixed, but in my opinion the updates are coming in too soon. I'd prefer to get good updates twice a year, which would allow 3rd party software developers to fully test their software against each OS revision. Now they have very hard time to do so, especially specialiced companies like Digidesign who make premium audio software and "has to" support each OS version.

Two months between releases is not enough. I want more.

Unfortunately, post numbers 53 and 54 below yours illustrate why updates should be released as soon as they're 'ready'.

Some people (what percentage of total users exactly, I'm unsure) suffer from bugs in OS X which may only be exposed by their particular configuration. These need to be addressed ASAP. As we know, these updates can trigger problems for some that weren't present in the previous release, but I don't think anyone could argue that, overall, 10.4.7 isn't a great improvement on 10.4.0.

Another simple truth about software is that no matter how thorough the testing, certain bugs are only going to be exposed by letting a few million pairs of grubby little mitts on the product. Personally, I quite like the current situation. Admittedly, I've been lucky - no problems caused by updates (barring the 10.3.7 -- or was it 10.3.6 misstep). It's nice to think that whenever a quirk shows up, there's a decent chance it'll be addressed within 6-8 weeks in a point-release.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
daneoni said:
Another app is Sizzling Keys. You can control itunes with it and it locks the screen just like XP with apps still running all you need to do is press Cmd+L (well in my case that is)

Actually OS X had this for ages, and it's much easier than press 3 keys at once...just go to the keylock icon and choose "lock"...nothing could be simpler.

How to: open Keychain Access, Preferences, select "show status in menu bar"...then everytime you wanna lock the machine, choose "lock screen".

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
Small White Car said:
Uh, it already DOES play HD discs.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dvdplayer/

Look in the very, very lower right. You have to play them off the hard drive since there isn't any hardware in a Mac that can play discs, but the software itself is ready.

Nope, look again...

It will play high definition material burned with DVD Studio Pro 4 which can be burned to regular 4.7gb DVD's or your Hard Drive. This is not support for the "HD-DVD's" you find at a store. When Apple adds support for the new blue laser drives, they will (99%) add support for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Which drive they will start installing in machines is up for debate (I would say/hope Blu-Ray), but they will undoubtably support both formats in their software.

tmphoto

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
bousozoku said:
You should be using FireWire or does Canon not support FireWire in such an expensive body?

5D=midrange body, USB only. You have to spring for the top end (1 series) to get firewire.
It's about a $5000 difference.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
BRLawyer said:
Actually OS X had this for ages, and it's much easier than press 3 keys at once...just go to the keylock icon and choose "lock"...nothing could be simpler.

How to: open Keychain Access, Preferences, select "show status in menu bar"...then everytime you wanna lock the machine, choose "lock screen".

or simply save your menu bar space and check "require password to wake computer from sleep or screensaver" in the security preference pane in system preferences. These require you to use a screensaver which isnt really ideal for your screen. Sizzling Keys however just bypasses all these and gives you the actual login screen by using the fast user switch technology.

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
Issaquah, WA
displaced said:
Unfortunately, post numbers 53 and 54 below yours illustrate why updates should be released as soon as they're 'ready'.

Some people (what percentage of total users exactly, I'm unsure) suffer from bugs in OS X which may only be exposed by their particular configuration. These need to be addressed ASAP. As we know, these updates can trigger problems for some that weren't present in the previous release, but I don't think anyone could argue that, overall, 10.4.7 isn't a great improvement on 10.4.0.

Another simple truth about software is that no matter how thorough the testing, certain bugs are only going to be exposed by letting a few million pairs of grubby little mitts on the product. Personally, I quite like the current situation. Admittedly, I've been lucky - no problems caused by updates (barring the 10.3.7 -- or was it 10.3.6 misstep). It's nice to think that whenever a quirk shows up, there's a decent chance it'll be addressed within 6-8 weeks in a point-release.

Good post! I agree with you, but empathize for those who really do not want to perform periodic updates. For them, of course, they have the option to only update when they wish. So, it would seem that both groups could be served, but only if the upgrades are available.

I have been a software programmer, analyst, architect, manager for 25 years. I work in MRP/MRPII/ERP systems. Your comment about "..grubby little mitts.." really made me laugh. Yes, that is when you really know how well your error trapping was done. It is important to make corrections as soon as is feasible. I commend Apple for releasing upgrades as often as they do.

I am a very fortunate user. I really do not experience most of the problems I read about. That could be do to what I use and how I use it. However, even though I am seldom effected, I can appreciate the needs of those who are.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
daneoni said:
Im only interested in Safari. Apple needs to address the RAM issue, Safari is the fastest browser for me out there and i've tried most if not all BUT the memory issue still annoys me as i have to quit/reset safari at least once a day. Not ideal.

You must be exhausted lol

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
tmphoto said:
5D=midrange body, USB only. You have to spring for the top end (1 series) to get firewire.
It's about a $5000 difference.

For the price of the 5D, they could have easily added FireWire. Only point and shoot cameras should be relegated to USB-only.

MacSA said:
You must be exhausted lol

I'm saving all my strength by using Firefox and avoiding Safari's unusual once a day restarting cycle. :D

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
it seems to me apple releases updates for the heck of it

login windows? image capture etc?

at least when microsoft updates its system is for something worth the cause
wow-the next update will be 400mb and it will be to fix issues with wallpapers issues nobody have.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
uNext said:
it seems to me apple releases updates for the heck of it

login windows? image capture etc?

at least when microsoft updates its system is for something worth the cause
wow-the next update will be 400mb and it will be to fix issues with wallpapers issues nobody have.

I guess you don't actually use a computer, if you can say such things.

I'd say the forums show plenty of issues that people are having that get fixed.

Then again, Microsoft fixes the same thing 3 or 4 times and the problem still exists, doesn't it?

UNIX4ALL

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
Canary Islands, Spain
I hope that 10.4.8 will fix my sudden shutdowns issues on my girlfriend macbook and the vertical colored lines on my fathers macbook ...

It's a shame, they dont have 2 months ...

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
bigbossbmb said:
Nope, look again...

It will play high definition material burned with DVD Studio Pro 4 which can be burned to regular 4.7gb DVD's or your Hard Drive. This is not support for the "HD-DVD's" you find at a store. When Apple adds support for the new blue laser drives, they will (99%) add support for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Which drive they will start installing in machines is up for debate (I would say/hope Blu-Ray), but they will undoubtably support both formats in their software.
The high definition discs which may be authored with DVD Studio Pro 4 are compliant with the HD-DVD spec.

It's true that a 4.7GB or 8.5GB red-laser DVD-R is not a 25 or 50GB blue-laser HD-DVD. A red-laser disc with HD material created in DVDSP 4 is, however, considered an HD DVD-R.

Look up the specs for which discs the Toshiba HD-DVD players can handle. Among them is HD DVD-R. link

It's understandable that so many people aren't aware of this; Blu-Ray supporters tend to not know about HD-DVD.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
SiriusExcelsior said:
Would the big size of the updates be due to all the debug stuff they put in for developers? After it's fixed they take out the debug routines and the size drops quite a lot...

Good point, debug releases are often WAY bigger than the final releases

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
UNIX4ALL said:
I hope that 10.4.8 will fix my sudden shutdowns issues on my girlfriend macbook and the vertical colored lines on my fathers macbook ...

It's a shame, they dont have 2 months ...

They're both hardware issues. Software won't fix them, you need to call Apple and get them fixed.

UNIX4ALL

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
Canary Islands, Spain
Chundles said:
They're both hardware issues. Software won't fix them, you need to call Apple and get them fixed.

I read that at least vertical colored lines is a post 10.4.7 update issue and, the problem of sudden shutdowns is after the MacBook Firmware update, before of it, it was fine.

I really hope that it can get fixed via software or a firmware update.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Macrumors said:

The build weighs in at 305 MB for intel and 147 MB for PPC. If left as-is, the updates would be some of the largest in history (Mac OS 10.4.7, released in June, was only 133 MB intel and 64 MB PPC). However, many of Apple's early builds are significantly larger than when they are released to the public.

Digg This

It's larger because all the debug flags were turned on during compile time.

The official release will be debug symbol stripped.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
daneoni said:
Im only interested in Safari. Apple needs to address the RAM issue, Safari is the fastest browser for me out there and i've tried most if not all BUT the memory issue still annoys me as i have to quit/reset safari at least once a day. Not ideal.

lynx is the fasted browser period. Barely uses 1MB running, too. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
73CortinaV8 said:
It's larger because all the debug flags were turned on during compile time.

The official release will be debug symbol stripped.

Thanks! You're a few days late with that answer but it confirms the answer just a few posts before yours. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.