10.5.2: Escape key not working in Terminal or iTerm?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arn, Feb 11, 2008.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Can someone confirm or deny?

"The esc (Escape) key doesn't seem to be working correctly in the Terminal or iTerm. If you open a document vim foo and then go into edit mode (the i key), the esc key should put you back into command mode. The bug happens locally or via an ssh session to other machines, it also is happening on different terminal applications, so I believe that the esc key code itself is getting filtered at the OS level. (MacBook Pro 2,2)"

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_OS_X_10.5.2_Fixes,_Bugs_and_Problems

2. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Working fine here - (MacBook Pro 1,1)

(waiting for my Mac Mini G4 to reboot - then I'll test via an ssh session)

update: also working fine via ssh from the MacBook Pro to my 10.5.2 Mac Mini G4.

Using the 'Pro' preset scheme chosen from Terminal's preferences.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Escape works in Terminal running vi locally or via ssh. I'm on a Mac mini with a white wired keyboard.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

ESC key seems to working fine in terminal for me (mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro Dual G4 all running 10.5.2 update). I did a vim foo, went into edit mode and successfully escaped back to command mode.

Maybe it's specific to the MBP keyboard? What happens if you plug in an external keyboard?

I don't have my MBP handy, but will check it later this evening if no one else gets to it.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

I know that you can change what a key does in the terminal, I have this done on my old PB g4. I had it set so home and end, in terminal using vim, would goto the beginning and end of the line. page up and page down would not scroll back, but scroll a page up or down in the file I was editing. I do not have that PB anymore, it died, so I cannot check to make sure what I am saying did exactly what I typed above. I do know that they were no longer doing their default functions in Terminal.

Maybe there was a code update that broke the code for the esc key in 10.5.2?

6. Deej macrumors regular

7. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member