10.5.2 Install Disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ungraphic, Jan 13, 2008.

1. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Is apple going to be shipping all new copies of leopard as an OS X 10.5.2 installer? I dont want to install 10.5 and then download the updates, id rather have a clean proper install from the get go.

2. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Not straight away. It took about a month with 10.5.1 I think.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Don't worry about 3 decimal place upgrades being less stable than a clean install. Apple knows that the vast majority of people are going to be running 3 decimal place upgrades rather than a clean install, so they make sure that those upgrades are totally solid. The only precaution you should take is waiting a few days after the release to let other people be the guinea pigs to see if there were any problems that got through.

4. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If I had to guess, I'd say they won't ever update the retail copies to ship with 10.5.2. They'll wait until a later revision to update them, since they just updated them to 10.5.1. Even that move was a bit of a surprise, since the Tiger retail version didn't get updated until 10.4.3, and then again at 10.4.6 and I believe at 10.4.9. I guess 10.5.0 had enough bugs that they wanted to get people moving straight into 10.5.1. Don't think they'll be doing that again soon.

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Yeah, life's so tough sometimes. I don't even know how I make it out of bed in the mornings.

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

No, it doesn't. You're literally worrying about nothing. Unless I've missed something and you can explain to me why it's at all a problem.

8. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I think I explained that one in the first post.....

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Yeah, like this morning. I not only had to make m own coffee, I had to WAIT FOR IT TO BREW! :eek: That's a whole several minutes that I'll never get back. Life's too hard.:(

10. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

No, you didn't explain it. You said you didn't want to do it, but you didn't say why you didn't want to do it or why you thought it was a problem.

11. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

12. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

What? No answer? What is your reason for not wanting to update? Its very easy, you click on System Preferences, click on Software Update then click Check Now. What is the big deal?

Pfft. PC users....:p

13. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Whatever OS you buy, you're going to need to install updates at some point. it is unlikely that 10.5.2 will be rolled out into a retail DVD. It's far more likely that they'll wait for two or three more updates before they roll 'em into a new shrinkwrap release.

Your 'LOL mac users' comment mystifies me. When did you last manage to install Windows without immediately applying updates?

...... I thought not.

"LOL - newbies" :rolleyes:

14. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

Seriously, what is your problem? No need to label us.

You are the one that's causing troubles since you only want to do a clean install without doing extra updates. Listen to me, that is almost NEVER going to happen. There are always security updates, small patches, software updates, printer updates.

You expect Apple to burn new discs any time they release a 1 mb fix or someting?

Do you see Windows doing that? Right, they don't. Install windows for a change and go to Windows Update. Loads of extra installs.

So chuck it up, do a clean install, immediately install the 1 update (you don't have to install each incremental update) and get some work done. Easy as that.

15. ~David macrumors regular

~David

You'll have to upgrade to 10.5.3 in a few months time anyways, so what does it matter?

16. psonice macrumors 6502a

You think this is a mac problem? I install windows all the time at work, and even with an xp service pack 2 CD, I still need around 90 updates before it's patched! And that's without starting on the drivers...

It's actually quite a lot of work for apple to make a 10.5.2 retail disk. They'd need to combine the update with the original install, test it thoroughly on every supported mac, send it out to developers to test, change their manufacturing for the CDs and packaging. They're better off spending that time and effort on ensuring the updates work perfectly, which is what they do.

Having said that, I would want a 10.5.2 disk if I was on dial-up!

17. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Even if you're on dial up, all you'd need to do is go to anywhere where there's high speed such as a library and download the standalone upgrader which you take home on a cd-r or flashdrive or ipod disk. It's a great alternative that apple provides for slow net access users, and is probably a much better solution than that offered to MS Windows users to apply their necessary updates and upgrades.

18. neilspartacus macrumors member

Ur worrying for nothing

They dont make slipstream I mean clean install DVDs for small updates!
    You are worrying to much for nothing...there is no harm to upgrade and it wont take a lot for time to download aswell if u dial-up!
    Stop worrying and install the update!

19. teiresias macrumors regular

As someone who only recently switched to using OS X exclusively for home use (aside from one Linux box), and is still forced to use Windows at work, I can only laugh at you, since I can tell you if having to install ONE update after an OS install on the mac is driving you crazy I don't know how using either Windows or Linux didn't drive you into the madhouse.

20. SawTooth500 macrumors member

Don't know why installing WinDoze didn't drive you BugHouse, any way.
    Makes me shudder!:eek:

Advantage with the Mac OSX is you are NOT constantly updating your software.
    Seems like WinDoze is releasing updates every other day or so. And some of those will screw up a perfectly good machine. Probably why he wants to have a n install CD to do the clean install from.:apple:

21. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Holy crap, a lot of you amaze me with the stupid comments presented here.

1) I am a mac user of the last....mm, 8 years.
    2) Why is it that most of you assume I was on windows before? There are other platforms.
    3) No, installing, downloading or updating to 10.5.2 is, as we all know, peanuts. I was hoping to have a disc that has all the other crap ready, you know, to buy and be done with it. Or did some of you go to torrentspy?

My problem? Have you not been reading the replies here? Its a well known fact that mac users contain a cult like approach, having 'holier than thou' sentiments. There are no other OS users out there, or people people who tie themselves greater to a computer company than apple fanboys. None, and you know this very well. I'm sick of it. Yes, apple produces a lot of very good stuff, and it also produces some pretty crappy stuff. However, this whole notion of belonging to apple and arrogance is pathetic; Hi, I'm a mac user and therefor I'm better than you.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think people were just trying to figure out what you had against downloading and installing updates, but were confused by your (paraphrased) response 'Because I don't want to'.

23. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I kind of agree. I would rather have a disc with 10.5.X on it. It would just make things easier.

ie: I couldn't start my Macbook last week and nothing I could do helped. I figured there was something wrong with OS X so I tried to run a update (because I didn't want to loss my data), but I couldn't because I was running 10.5.1 and my disc is 10.5.0 and it said my disc was older than the OS. It wouldn't let me do a archive and install either so I was just up the creek without a paddle.

In the end it did let me do a full restore from my time machine backup (which took a long time, like 3 hours or so). It was my last resort (other than a full reinstall), because my backup from was from 4 days ago and I would rather not of lost the information I had in between...

Also, if I was re-installing from fresh I would myself rather have the most current version on the disc just to make things even easier and painless because nobody likes reinstalling an OS and waiting and then waiting some more to download and install updates. It would be EVEN WORSE if you were on... dialup... gross... or you didn't have a internet connection at home for some reason.

The Stig

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

He could go to an Apple Store, as I am sure they have one in Toronto and Apple will do it for you.

25. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

--and that isn't a stupid comment? And what other comments are you calling stupid besides your own.
    Well, by your "LOL, mac users......" comment, we can assume that you are not one as you are insulting us as many PC users do to Mac users.
    The 10.5.1 update took me no longer than 5 minutes or so to install, not all that much to "buy and be done with". 10.5.2 will probably be very similar to this. And plus, you'd have to do the same when 10.5.3 comes out and such.
    So by your logic, you are a member of the [non-existent] Mac cult. "Holier than thou", weren't you the one laughing at all Mac users?:rolleyes: