10.5.2 Internet Down! Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonDann, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JonDann macrumors member

JonDann

Hi guys,

Anyone else can't get online since updating? I get an airport signal and an IP and my iPhone still works so I know my router us ok. Safari, Mail, Skype... Not a dime!

Anyone know how to fix this?

C2D SR 2.2 MBP

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

In the interest of a quick response:

Reset WiFi Network - Network - Select Network and Click the ' - '

Allow WiFi to 'find' your network again :)

3. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

thankyou but I think I'm going to have to reinstall. I can't even get past the grey apple logo now. :(

Thank god for time machine

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, let us know how it goes

5. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

well before I did that I started in verbose mode and my window server is messed up!

I get

_registerApplication() FALIED to establish the default connection to the Window server

Any ideas where the app is stored so I can boot from the DVD and copy it via the terminal?

6. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

ok so I created a new partition and reinstalled. At a fresh 10.5 I could get online and then I upgraded to 10.5.2 without doing anything else and it won't get online again. I've removed my wireless password from key chain and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

7. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

Ok so it fixed itself, I'm so confused. I didn't do anything else!

8. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Mine's doing the same thing, can't seem to fix it.

9. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Actually, the internet seems to work okay, just not in Safari.

10. firesong macrumors member

My wireless connection is not working either (posting this using an Ethernet connection).

Weird.. I'm wondering what gives.

10.5.2, using a D-Link DIR-635. Worked previously in Tiger and previous versions of Leopard.

/FS

11. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I'm using the exact same router.

12. magir macrumors newbie

Hi there! I've done this but it doesn't find any network! :mad:

13. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

I spoke too soon its still dead. And yes that's my router alright!

14. sdl3 macrumors newbie

My Wireless is broken after the 10.5.2. Lets see if there is a pattern here. I have:
    Mac Mini
    Linksys wrt54G(I think that's the model #). 802.11G
    Using TKIP for security.
    Symptom: I see other AP's around me and some have a lock symbol so they are secured but I'm not sure what method they are using.
    My AP was working fine before the upgrade. After the upgrade and subsequent reboot my AP does not even show up in available networks. Tried rebooting Mac, no help.
    My macbook that I did not upgrade but is running Leopard still works fine on the same wireless AP. So obviously will not be upgrading it...

This all happened last night and I have not had time to troubleshoot further.
    Steve

15. jakeopolis macrumors member

as soon as i installed 10.5.2, my wireless network disappeared.

i restarted my router, no luck. the network has vanished.

i reconfigured the whole thing, and with airport off and my macbook plugged in to the router everything is fine. as soon as i turn airport on, my wireless network shuts off and kicks all connected machines off.

i fiddled with it for 4 hours, nothing is working at all.

i restored from a time machine backup and voila, problem solved. everything is normal again.

what the hell?

16. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

My brother in Australia had the same problem with his D-Link router during 10.5.1...

It appears to be an endemic fault in it's compatibility with Leopard.

I was down there over Christmas, and I was trying EVERYTHING - the only thing that I could do to make the internet connection work was to take out WEP or WPA encryption, and then voila! NOT something to recommend, though - so we put it back and had to suffer with a cable, leaving us scratching our heads (not good form to have an ethernet cable sticking out of the back of a Macbook, though...). Now, he's ordered an Airport Time Machine box - and I'm sure that's guaranteed to work.

Funny thing is that when I recently upgraded to Leopard (two weeks ago), suddenly my internet connection became erratic, slow and just ridiculous. I could still talk to my Netgear router, but I'd have to restart the router and the computer's Airport connection every once in a while to reset the internet. So I KNEW it was a 10.5 problem.

I went down to the local Apple Store (after reading the plights of many hundreds of people on Apple's own discussion boards who have the same issue - and found Apple ignoring them), and asked for a little help. The guy pleaded ignorance (great strategy - it's not a problem if you don't know about it...), but suggested to search the Netgear website for any firmware updates.

This I did, and have now found my router to be VERY reliable....

So - may I suggest for you to go to D-Link's website and download and update your router's firmware to it's latest version? It might help...

Let me know how you get on!

:)

17. PURCELL429 macrumors member

The same thing happened to me, 10.5.2 killed my router. So I guess I will have to revert to a time machine backup, huh? Great, the last one was a week or two ago.

18. TC2COOL macrumors member

This really isn't cool. I can get online at home, at the coffee shop, but the university... no good. And I really need to be doing work in the library.

My guess is that there aren't more people complaining, cause they can't get online.

19. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

It happened to me too. So I just kept on trying to force the network to scan my router and/or kept rebooting and then it finally worked! :D

20. PURCELL429 macrumors member

ok, I need some help here I think. So my router died last night, and I used my roomates windows laptop doesnt work either. I plug his laptop directly into the modem, no luck. I called comcast, they say I need a new modem.

Meanwhile, I try to restore from a time machine backup and it hangs at 14 percent for over an hour. I'm reinstalling and erasing now, let's see what happens....

21. allweb macrumors newbie

How to solve this problem with dir-635!

Hello,
    I have this router (D-link dir-635) and I had the same problem when upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2 from 10.5.1

The problem is in the communication with the 802.11n Mode

How to solve it?
    - Go to the dir-635 web interface (192.168.0.1)
    - go to SETUP
    - go to WIRELESS SETTINGS
    - after "802.11 Mode :" select Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b
    - select "save settings"

The router now can communicate with the wi-fi connection of your Mac.

I hope this can help you!
    Best regards from Italy (sorry for my english), Allweb

22. firesong macrumors member

I thought it was my router dying, so I went to test with a D-Link DiR-655 (the "big brother" model with the gigabits and the whole works).

Apparently, I don't have any problems with the 655 at all. It connects and works flawlessly.

I suspect the Draft-N 2.0 certification on the DIR-655 had a part to play in it. I seem to recall the DIR-635 had Draft-N 1.0 certification only - and I know that quite a lot was changed from 1.0 to 2.0.

23. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

Can anyone confirm that the latest firmware for the DIR-635 is 1.09?

24. allweb macrumors newbie

Yes, it is. :(

Bye!

25. JonDann thread starter macrumors member

JonDann

Looks like no 10.5.2 for me then,

I tried just downgrading the router to only use 802.11g but it became so slow when using skype :(

I wanted bug fixes, I just like living on the bleeding-edge