10.5.2: New Mail sound in Mail.app Sporadic?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arn, Feb 11, 2008.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Can someone confirm or deny?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_OS_X_10.5.2_Fixes,_Bugs_and_Problems

2. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

This didn't happen for me in previous Leopard versions. After running for a while now with 10.5.2, it seems Mail's sounds are still working fine on my MacBook Pro (first rev.)

Perhaps model-specific?

3. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Ya, I knew what you meant--I didn't mean to come off stand-of-ish if that's how it appeared. It's a minor, yet frustrating, bug in Mail. I'm shocked Apple hasn't tackled that because it's pretty common.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

6. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

No problem :)

At the risk of going off-topic, perhaps there's a workaround...

- Set up a rule in Mail's preferences that will always be matched
    - Set that rule's action to 'Run AppleScript'
    - Make an AppleScript which will play an alert sound

I might be going over old ground with that suggestion, but it might ease some frustration!

(and, as a side-benefit, you'd be able to set up different alert sounds for mail arriving at different account... hey, I might just do that myself!)

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I just sent myself 2 mails from different accounts. The sound only triggered with one mail.
    This sucks Apple. Why do they always need 3-4 updates to get the small bugs? :mad:

8. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I'm still trying to decide if the the problems I'm having with Mail.app are from bugs from the app itself or problems with our antiquated mail server. Thunderbird handles the server like a champ, but Mail has several problems with it (no need to list here--will be off topic).

Based on discussions over at Apple, it appears the new mail sound happens to others as well. I never had this problem with Tiger, so I leaning more on the side it's a flaw in Mail.app.

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I don't think the mail sounds have even been touched by this update. My custom sounds are intact. Usually, if Mail has any work done on it, the resources are updated.

10. kanketsu macrumors member

Hi, I have a similar issue. In my case, the new mail/ no new mail sound is played normally, but the timing is off.

What I'm saying is, my Mail will decide which sound to play & play it after a fixed period of time, (about two seconds after I hit the "Get new mail" button) instead of after the whole activity ended.

I have two mail accounts: GMail & the one given by my ISP. GMail took about 4 seconds to fetch, the other one took about 1.5 seconds. Let's say that I have new mail in the local account, but not in GMail, the played sound will be No New Mail. Because when "the timer" reached 2 seconds, Mail sees that no new mail has been collected and then proceed to decide the sound right away, instead of waiting for GMail.

In the case where I have new mail in my local account that needs more than 2 seconds to download, ...well I think your guess is correct: No New Mail.

Never happened on 10.4.10 (I jumped straight to 10.5.2).

I have another minor issue. The Mail Activity box in the main window only displaying outgoing message. Fetching mail doesn't appear there, unlike the separate Activity window which displays every activity. Is this an issue, or is that how it supposed to be?

11. isepic macrumors member

Instead of stating the obvious and posting examples of others asking the same question on other fourms, why not post links that have a possible solution? Like this one: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20081227031321447

Worked for me and fixed it 10.5.5 and 10.5.6