10.5.2 No Airport - Fix for Westell 327W

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gr8tfly, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

10.5.2 update "killed" the Airport wireless connection to a Verizon Westell VersaLink 327W wireless DSL router on a friends MBP (with "n"). After several tries at deleting keychains, reinstalling combo updates, etc., it all pointed to the router itself. That's usually the case, but it's obviously frustrating when it "worked" with a previous version.

Found the latest firmware and applied it - once again, all is happy in wifi land.

For reference:
    Model number: a90-327w15
    Firmware version (now): 4.04.03.00

edit: Verizon's Firmware download site

I hope this helps others using the Westell modem.

edit 2: just saw exact same model fixed with firmware update earlier this evening over at MacFixit.

2. quaker120 macrumors newbie

Thanks, gr8tlfy. If this works for me I'll be in your debt.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just be forewarned: there are at least three revisions of the Westell 327W. I know: I have two of the three, and they operate very differently and take very different firmware updates. So do be careful updating your firmware and make sure the update applies to your specific hardware revision. If not, you will fry the router.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with 10.5.2 and my Versalinks.

4. gr8tfly thread starter macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Absolutely! There are 6 models of the 327 listed at Verizon, using 3 different firmware versions. If there's any doubt about which version or being able to perform the update, call Verizon.

5. quaker120 macrumors newbie

Worked for me

This fix worked for me. Thanks so much!

Be aware, though, that the instructions on the Verizon Support page are only for the Windows .exe's. If you click the link for your router and get a .upg file download, you have to go into your router's Control Panel (usually http://dslrouter) and search around for the Update link (it's in different place depending on your firmware version). When you're prompted, browse to & upload the .upg file.