10.5.2 Safari Delay

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imationx, Feb 14, 2008.

1. imationx macrumors member

Just wanted to ask this because I have tried everything and can't figure this out...

I updated to 10.5.2 using the standalone combo updater the other night and after this Safari has been doing something weird.

When I type in a domain such as macrumors.com in the browser is will pause for around 2-3 seconds on a white screen and then go full speed to the site. I have monitored the network speed and I can see during the delay no data transfer at all is taking place. This happens on every domain I go to in Safari 3. Camino and Firefox do not have this strange behavior.

I have tried repairing permissions, restarting, deleting Safari PLIST file. I just know it wasn't doing this before I updated to 10.5.2 so I have no clue what is going on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Steven

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

DNS timeout is the most likely cause. Check that you have correct DNS settings, most likely one of them is not working.

Since you say this only affects Safari, perhaps you have a firewall program that might only be blocking Safari requests?

3. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for those suggestions. I checked the DNS settings in os x. They seem normal ..just as before - they point to my firewall/router. If it was that how would camino and firefox lookup DNS fine then? I had little snitch running but I disabled it and tried with the same thing happening still.

4. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

yeah, safari seems to do this for me too, but the webkit nightly seems to deal with this alright.

5. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Funny thing is webkit nightly even does the same thing. Maybe it uses the same plist file?

6. imationx thread starter macrumors member

I also just tried creating a new test user account . Safari did the same thing - only Safari. Is there any way to reinstall it?

7. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have any other ideas before I go crazy?

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Try launching Terminal and making a DNS request with dig:

dig apple.com

It should come back right away. If it pauses, then your DNS is slow for some reason.

I have noticed that Safari seems to stall at the same point frequently. Not sure what is going on...

9. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It came back right away with Query time: 40 msec

On my Macbook, on the same network, Safari running with 10.5.1 still has no similar issues which leads me to beelive it is 10.5.2 and the new version of Safari.

10. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

the 3.1 beta fixes this problem. its running extremely smooth now, with no delay what-so-ever.

11. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Where would I download Safari beta 3.1? I thought 3.1 came with 10.5.2 But i see it is 3.0.1

12. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the beta link. I downloaded and installed 3.1 and the delay is still there when loading pages... amazing...

13. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Just as an update...

I reinstalled Leopard a few minutes ago and of course Safari was back to normal and very snappy. As soon as I installed 10.5.2 Safari showed the delay I talk about... I can't believe everyone else that updated doesn't notice this huge difference! :confused:

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Does flushing your DNS cache help?

Open Terminal and type

Code:
    dscacheutil -flushcache

15. imationx thread starter macrumors member

it says command not found

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, my habits from pre-leopard days crept in. They changed it for Leopard and that's why i edited.

17. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Okay , flushed DNS cache. restarted Safari and still getting same delay..so wierd. It was perfect and as soon as i updated to 10.5.2 the delay came back make be not even question it is 10.5.2.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is no reason to believe safari 3.1 fixes any problem while webkit nightly doesn't, since webkit nightly is always newer.

do other browsers work? firefox 3 beta 2 or opera 9.5beta?

19. imationx thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if there is some way to return and use the old Safari from 10.5.1 ? Deleting the PLIST Safari doesnt seem to work.

20. imationx thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Safari beta 3.1 nor webkit nightly resolved the issue.

Firefox, Camino..etc do now show the same behavior as with Safari. They work perfectly.

21. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Try changing the DNS to a real DNS server, and not your router. And if that works, report the problem to Apple & the router maker.

22. imationx thread starter macrumors member

I tried that too.. to my ISP DNS server.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

last time this problem was brought up by somebody, the problem was DNS related.

I can't imagine why a DNS problem affects safari/webkit, but not firefox/camino/opera.

It just weird, maybe safari is indeed bundled to the system deeper than we expected.

24. imationx thread starter macrumors member

I guess my only choice is to not update to 10.5.2. Is there any known way to downgrade Safari to what I had on 10.5.1 ?