10.5.2 Translucent Menu Bar Issue?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Holyghost, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Holyghost macrumors newbie

iBook G4 1.33ghz, just updated to 10.5.2/leopard graphics update and the option for turning off the translucent menu bar is missing. Anyone else have a similar issue? See attached:

Attached Files:

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Was it translucent before? Older graphics card have never featured the translucent menu bar.

3. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

I believe it's missing because your computer doesn't support the Translucent Menu Bar to begin with. I have 2 computers both running 10.5.2 now, one's a Power Mac G5, and the other's a new-ish MBP. The G5 doesn't have a translucent menu bar, and it also doesn't have the option in System Preferences. I was disappointed when I originally updated to Leopard because I was looking forward to that Translucent bar, and I researched the issue online, but discovered that older machines just don't support it.

My MBP, however, does have the Translucent Menu Bar and it also has the option in System Preferences.

4. Holyghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks translucent to me (click to enlarge)...

Attached Files:

5. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

OK. I stand corrected. Haha.

Then my newly modified answer to your question is this:

I have no idea. Sorry.

6. jaglad macrumors member

Well I have just updated my Macbook Pro 2.4 and my Mac Pro 2x3.2 which has got 2 ATI graphics cards. They both have the transparent menu bar but only the Macbook Pro gives you the option to turn it off!!! And yes the graphics update has been run on both computers.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

my ibook 1.33 GHz has a translucent menu bar.

8. Spievy macrumors regular

my 1.42 ghz ibook has the translucent menu bar with 10.5.2.

Do you have the Radeon 9550 or 9200, the 9200 does NOT support core image (hardware accelerated) therefore no translucent menu bar.

9. saxman macrumors 6502

My 12" PB 1.33 has never had the translucent menu bar before or after the 10.5.2 update. My wife's 14" iBook 1.42 does though... I would have turned it off anyway so it doesn't really bother me. My card does support core image though as I get all the other effects

10. Holyghost thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 9550, one of the reasons i waited for this revision of the ibook was to get core image (and again, see pic above of translucent menu bar).

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Strange I have a Rev A PMG5 and its translucent on mine. :confused: I also have the option to turn it off.

12. Holyghost thread starter macrumors newbie

But do you have the option for turning of the translucent menu (assuming you have installed 10.5.2).

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sorry I edited that bit. Yes I do have the option. :)

14. TheRumour macrumors newbie

For those of you with a currently translucent menu bar and no option to turn it off in 10.5.2, I'm wondering if you used an app like OpaqueMenuBar (www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/opaquemenubar/). I did and I'm just wondering if it's an issue with the modification that app does to Leopard. I don't mean to point a finger at the app, as it did it's job well but I'm curious.

15. Spievy macrumors regular

Out of Curiosity...

Have you actually SHUT DOWN the computer since the update?
    I was having sound issues (horrible chops) with my powerbook g4 17" after all of the updates were completed. I shut it down and waited 5 seconds then booted it up and the sound worked fine. Maybe this will work on yours?

Also did you do the graphics update?

Does your System Profiler: Graphics: say Core Image (Hardware Accelerated) ??

BTW my ibook also has the Radeon 9550 and I do have the translucent menu bar.

16. ethank macrumors newbie

This is exactly the issue. If you modified your machine to do opaque menubar before 10.5.2, the option won't show. I've tried every method of reverting that change, but it still wont' show.

Now we need someone to write a hack to reverse the hack :)

17. bearda macrumors 6502

I've got a 12 inch iBook (1.33) that has shown a translucent menubar since I installed Leopard, and I don't have the option.

EDIT: Yes, I installed the 10.5.2 update and the graphic update. Yes, it shows up in about my mac. No, I never installed anything to disable the transparent menu bar. System Profiler does show Core Image accelerated.

Attached Files:

18. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

my powerbook 12" also does not have this option either.

19. Spievy macrumors regular

I must of mis-understood the problem. I thought you DIDN'T have the translucent menu bar. I see that you do have the Trans menu bar, you just can't shut it off.

My ibook can't shut it off either, w/ 10.5.2. That is wierd :confused:

20. Holyghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Besides flip 4 mac, I have no hacks, third party system modifiers, etc installed - this is a very stock 10.5 install.

21. zygo macrumors member

same problem

It doesn't bother me but...

MBP[SR] has the translucent bar and on/off option.

MP[2007 1 ati x1900, 2nd nvidia 7300] HAS translucent bar and does NOT have on/off option.

Haven't used any hacks.

22. Spievy macrumors regular

Mine is a stock install also. I do like the translucent menu bar. However, I would like to know why I can't shut it off on my ibook.

23. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

my powerbook doesn't give me the option. my menu bar is not translucent.

24. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

iBook's with the Radeon 9550 chip are Core Animation enabled.

25. Spievy macrumors regular

It doesn't support Core Image (Hardware Accelerated). Your PB has a Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200