10.5.2.... worst update ever?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vitek, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Vitek macrumors newbie

I don't really get it when they said that it fixed wireless problems, because it caused a lot more!

2. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

what exactly is the problem with it? my only gripes lately have been with skype and the newest beta has seamed to have fixed it

3. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i've never had a wireless connection drop with leopard, and i have a linksys 56 something something at home. i have however, had a wired connection drop in and out, but i think thats because of the various power outages and w/e we've been having here.

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

No problems here,.. hope you have better luck in the future.

5. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

false? :confused:

But honestly, I never had any issues in 10.5.1, and there were no issues updating to 10.5.2. Maybe I'm just lucky? :eek:

6. quinny61994 macrumors newbie

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Has worked fine for me. Fixed my only issue (X11). Post some more details and maybe we can help, but it was a good update for many of us. Except for the menus. Why did they take away my translucency? :(

8. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

10.5.1 had no problems for me (on an Airport Express) and I just installed an AEBS the day after 10.5.2 came out and have not had a single problem.

Maybe I'm lucky because all my equipment is new, but I don't have any problems.

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I don't know, honestly, I think its one of the better updates. Everything is running very well on my computers. It was running fine before 10.5.2, but it always felt, at least to me, a little rough around the edges.

10.5.2, and especially the graphic update, seemed to have
    polished everything up and put the finishing touches on it. I hope it gets better for you (and anyone else who is having issues)

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no problems here ive never had a wireless dropout with Leopard. its just that damn Time Machine bug that clears your Exposé keyboard and mouse shortcuts after you delete or restore a file.

this is good hearing about Leopard users with no major problems. its usually the users with major problems that are more apparent.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My Mail.app doesn't work over my university's wireless network anymore. I'll have to go back to the UniMail website and send emails from there.

Thanks, Apple.

12. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Worst ever is a bit rough. Leopard hasn't been pulled off as smoothly as previous versions of osx, but apple will fix it they always do. By 10.5.4, 10.5.3 it should be smoothy, silky, softy, and comfy.

13. Vitek thread starter macrumors newbie

my wireless connection drops approximately every 5 minutes...

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm sorry to hear that. maybe it's another problem. what kind of router do you have?

15. Vitek thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's another problem because many people are experiencing this. I never had any problem before I installed the update, I have a 2WIRE wireless router.

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Running Leopard on an iMac and previously on a G5 Powermac.

Never had any issues with wireless connections dropping.

Maybe it's a hardware problem?

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

September Macbook here. Wireless problems have not decreased, though they haven't increased either.

But seriously, this is a software issue. A simple reboot corrects the problem... for a while. Then it starts again.

However, 10.5.2 seemed to make it faster to reconnect AFTER I had a dropout. :eek:

18. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

am i the only one who's still using tiger?

i want to upgrade, but posts like this scare me. :(

19. Crispy Duck macrumors regular

Worst update ever for me that's for sure.

Well it has been the worst for me:

10.5.0 and 10.5.1 – My White 24" Intel iMac would not wake up from sleep, or shut down properly. Some process or fan still running even though it 'appeared' to be off... not able to reboot without holding the power button for a few seconds first to properly shut down, before rebooting.

10.5.2... Above problem NOT rectified... and now - iMac now takes 5 WHOLE MINUTES to start up... Tried everything to rectify it, eventually ERASED and REINSTALLED FROM SCRATCH, and BOTH the above problems persist. Nightmare.

20. iBunny macrumors 65816

10.5.2 has executed flawlessly for me. I was not experiancing any issues whatso ever with 10.5.1 tho either.

I Erased & Installed Leopard from Scratch, then 10.5.2 combo update directly after, then the Leopard Graphics Update after that. Everything is perfect. I didnt want to take the chance and upgrade to 10.5.2 over my existing 10.5.1. Looks like I potentially saved time by doing it the lone way :) Nothing is broken and everything is faster. :D :apple:

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No issues here,before .2 i had wifi dropouts maybe every 15mins or so since
    the update not one

No other problems to report either

22. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

While posts like these probably are a little scary for people who want to switch from tiger to leopard, be aware that people who have problems with their macs are more likely to create this type of thread than people for whom leopard works fine. For example, it's pretty rare (although there are some out there) to see a thread saying "I love OS X 10.5.2" because there is no need for help if everything's going fine.

23. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

It's a bit difficult to help you when you just keep ranting "Leopard sucks" and all you post is that you use a 2Wire router (especially since 2Wire doesn't maker stand-alone routers -- I assume you mean 2Wire's router/modem combo?).

I take it from this that your problem started *after* you upgraded to 10.5.2? Otherwise, what "a lot more" problems are you experiencing?

Tell us more about your setup and what you have tried that hasn't worked, and you will probably get a lot more helpful suggestions. In particular, it would be helpful to know things like:

* what sort of network security are you using, if any?
    * do you have any other wireless devices connected to the network, e.g. a printer or an iPhone, and do those devices drop the connection also?
    * where is the 2Wire located in relation to your Mac?
    * are there any wired devices on the network? Do they have issues?
    * what Mac do you have?
    * have you created a new user account on your Mac and does the problem happen there as well?
    * what third party software have you added that might impact a wireless connection?
    * have you tried all of the "first steps" type of stuff, eg repairing permissions, resetting the PMU, etc.
    * how far is your closest Genius Bar?

Are there any threads on MR or Apple Support in which others report experiencing your problem, and what have they tried that didn't work?

I know it is frustrating, but keep in mind that legions of us are using 10.5.2 with no wireless problems, so, it isn't the case that 10.5.2 is the "worst update ever" or is causing widespread wireless problems. There is something going on with your system that is causing the problem. If you can remain calm (think Kevin Bacon...), you are much more likely to get some help.

On the other hand, if you don't want the help and just want to rant about 10.5.2, hey, go for it.

24. Brault macrumors newbie

Wireless on AEBS has been flawless with Tiger, Leopard 10.5, 10.5.1 and 10.5.2. I haven't even configured the AEBS yet, the yellow light is still flashing. Updated Leopard twice over it.

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The only thing that seems to have been affected for me is Safari. Sometimes it will have problems reaching pages, or it loads very slowly, and then a minute later is back to normal. To make sure that it was not a lousy internet connection, I ran Firefox simultaneously and it was loading fine. I much prefer Safari to Firefox, and I hope that issue gets resolved quickly. Aside from that, 10.5.2 has been flawless, not as fast as Tiger came to be yet, but maybe that is due to having an aging iMac as well.