10.5.2: Yahoo Mail (non-classic mode) making Safari Crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arn, Feb 11, 2008.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What do you mean by Yahoo mail?

The web interface or the version inside the mail app?

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Sorry, I should clarify. It's the web version of the mail. Even though Yahoo claims to not fully support Safari, Safari 3.0.4 under Tiger 10.4.11 handled Yahoo mail like a champ. It's only under Leopard that Yahoo mail crashes Safari very frequently.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The improved webmail Yahoo! Beta client and My Yahoo! page have been working fine for me in Safari 3 and in WebKit nightlies.

This is even after clicking to use it anyways even if it's not supported.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Yahoo did fix some stuff to support firefox 3 beta, and fix is being deployed as we speak to all of its servers. I still would not expect this to affect safari in any way tho. But who knows, lets wait and get more feedback first.

6. adamswick macrumors newbie

Try disconnecting Yahoo IM from Yahoo Mail

If my Yahoo Mail is also connected to Yahoo IM, I experience the weirdness: deleting messages crashes Safari, cannot click/drag multiple messages to folders, etc.

Once I log into my Yahoo IM account via Adium and it disconnects from Yahoo Mail, everything works as normal.

OS X 10.5.2, Safari 3.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If by "champ" you mean that it crashes less than once per day, then, yes, it works like a champ. The bottomline is that it is that Yahoo Mail's new webmail interface's support for Safari is still in beta. As such, it can be expected to crash even if it hasn't crashed before. In the meantime, the classic webmail client is still available and has no issues.

Quite frankly, it makes no sense to use browser-specific code for webmail clients. However, that is what Yahoo has done.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've used it for ages in Safari, Safari 3 Beta, and WebKit on OS X and Windows with no crashes.

The only problems I've had with Yahoo! Mail is on FireFox 3 Beta and that's already a trouble ticket for them.

9. burgen macrumors newbie

Yahoo mail worked well for me before and after 10.5.2 update. I use yahoo mail classic though.

Maybe you have some plugin installed in safari, like saft, safaristand? Those could cause problems.

Or you have corrupt flash components. Delete all flash related components in internet plug-in folder and go to adobe site, reinstall flash player.

10. npramod macrumors newbie

Safari Flash Plugin issue

I installed the leopard update 10.5.2 and started seeing this problem of Safari crashing when I use Yahoo webmail beta. I happens only when messenger account is active. As suggested by one of the earlier posts, I uninstalled Flash plugin and installed the one from Adobe website and now everything seems to be working, no more crashes :):):)

11. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

yes, crashes with every composed message

I upgraded my Yahoo mail to the new Beta yesterday. I use it online and have never had a problem with crashes until now. EVERY time I try to select an address into the TO: field it crashes Safari. It has happened from all 3 of my MACs and to a variety of email addresses using the composed, the reply or the forwarding function.
    It has not happened yet if I type every single letter of the email address using the keyboard. It only happens if I hit ENTER when Yahoo is displaying the address that I want to use from the Yahoo suggested auto fill choices.
    I hope they fix this!
    SandiMacD in MT

12. jennialexander macrumors newbie

cannot open yahoo mail

I can log onto the internet via Firefox & Safari however when I try to open my mail I keep getting error messages and just cannot open it. this is happening on a PC and 2 macs. My husband can open his on the same computer. What is wrong.
    Error message 17 & LaunchFFC-1
    Jenni alexander