10.5.6 Has broke Online Banking Access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by david803sc, Dec 16, 2008.

1. david803sc macrumors member

david803sc

Since I updated my Intel imac with this update I can no longer access my online banking with BB&T, this is a very large Southeast Bank, when I log in, it just brings me to another screen, to log in again, no error message, I called the bank and of coarse they told me it's my fault, I must of forgot my password, anyway I talked to their online tech support, and they did tell me that they are aware that the update for the mac has broken the access to their site with Safari, they said I either had to use Internet Explorer or Mozilla, due to the fact that their site is no longer supported by Safari, due to the latest mac update.

http://www.bbt.com

Note: I did post this in the update thread, but I felt it is important enough to post here, and find out if this has affected any other banks, and also see if I can get a fire under someone to get this resolved, I am so frustrated right now and the bank says they have no answers at this time or an ETA on a resolution, they are waiting for Apple to get involved.

2. david803sc thread starter macrumors member

david803sc

I found some other posts on tis forum that indicate, that the First Direct online banking site is also affected, and according to the Apple Discussion board, HSBC is affected also, so we have at least 3 banks now confirmed not to be working with this update, any others?

3. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

HSBC works fine with Firefox 3.0.4

4. david803sc thread starter macrumors member

david803sc

Tugger, that is the point all three of these sites will work with Mozilla, but all three worked with Safari prior to the 10.5.6 update, and something in this update has broken them, and I am sure there are more banks other than just these 3 that have this problem now, the question is will apple fix this, or will they work with these banks to find and resolve the problem?

SAFARI SHOULD WORK WITH THESE SITES, the fact that it no longer does is bad PR and press for Apple, do they want users to all migrate to Firefox because many sites do not work with Safari? Of coarse not, and online banking is something most users of any computer access, quite often, this should be a high priority for Apple to resolve, via a patch or by working with the banks on the code that needs to be changed on these sites.

David

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The link you posted, opened for me on Safari with the new upgrade. Is it after the password entering that it gives you problems?

Wachovia works fine on it as well.

6. david803sc thread starter macrumors member

david803sc

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

8. DCB1 macrumors member

Vystar (local credit union) works fine.

Peace

9. Jeff Gill Guest

HSBC is also not working

HSBC is also not working, which is annoying because I use Cha Ching which uses Safari to access my online banking and download my transactions directly into my Cha Ching database.

I can usually log on to HSBC with Firefox, but until now it has never worked nearly as well on the HSBC site as Safari.

Ho hum.

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

First Direct displaying this ...

First Direct is now displaying this when you choose to log on to Internet Banking.

Actually, I tried to use it last night and was cursing FD because I thought it was a problem with their website!!

It would make sense HSBC isn't working as well though as I would imagine it's all the same back end stuff for FD and HSBC.

Good to see they are acknowledging it though!

- D

Attached Files:

11. jmbill macrumors member

Yes, I can confirm that the UK HSBC website is broken. It seems highly probable it is the result of the 10.5.6 update, but I know that HSBC have slowly been refurbishing their website in places and the front page has been modified quite recently. So it could be a combination of factors leading to the breakage.

I find when I log in with my IB number, I get forwarded back to another login page. Sometimes that login page 'hangs' and I get an error in Safari about "too many page redirects" or words to that affect. Other times the site just fails to finish loading with pictures or CSS missing. It's a complete mess.

This problem seems to affect all Webkit powered browsers. Safari, Webkit nightly build, Radon and the browser in Cha-Ching are all affected. No issue whatsoever accessing the site in Firefox or Opera.

I started by deleting Safari preferences, clearing all cookies and resetting Safari. That didn't work so this morning I have done an archive and install of Mac OSX (I had to try and fix something else at the same time). But that hasn't helped either - presumably because Safari is archived instead of clean installed?

Also found a few minutes ago that a similar problem is occurring on Apple's OWN support forums - log in takes you to a blank screen which in turn takes you back to log in!

But yes, this reflects very badly on Safari and Apple. Leopard seems to just be one problem after another...

I am contacting HSBC now. Will post any response I get from them in this thread.

12. barnsleyboy macrumors newbie

It is indeed a mess. For a long time now, I've been unable to login to FD a second time without emptying Safari's cache, but since 10.5.6 it just doesn't work at all. Very disappointing, but at least FF works. Almost glad I've got Vista and IE7 on this MB!

13. durija macrumors 6502

This is similar I think to the problem I am having with remote access.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=618345
    When I login, I also get no error message, but instead of seeing my Mac's desktop, I am taken to a blank black screen. I'm guessing it is some odd security tweak, but that doesn't help much. I'll have to wait until I get home, of course, to see if my two online banking sites work.

14. barnsleyboy macrumors newbie

Well, it still works on Safari under Vista - unsurprisingly, since the Windows version hasn't been upgraded recently! But I still need to empty the cache to login a second time.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

SUBMIT PROBLEMS via Safari

use the "Report Bugs to Apple" menu item

16. rageboi macrumors newbie

I'm having this issue on my MBA and iMac and reported it to AppleCare, I'll report back with their response (If I ever get one!)

17. jmbill macrumors member

Official Response from HSBC this morning:

However you look at this, this is a real smack in the face for Apple and there so marketed "worlds best browser".

18. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

www.chase.com works fine with safari after the update, although I did notice that it took a little while longer to load the my accounts page. But I use Firefox all the time anyways.:apple:

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no issues with any of my online financial accounts:

chase.com
    ameriprise.com
    ingdirect.com

20. rageboi macrumors newbie

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well my HSBC US online account is working good as usually (using Safari & Firefox).

22. south8212, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  23. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have the exact same problem with BB&T. It started after the update and I have to run Firefox to get it to work.

- James

24. garnaby macrumors newbie

I bank with Halifax (UK) and have no problems with there website ive had no problems at all.

25. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I can say that the update has affected me as well, both for some banking functions (namely logging in), as well as other sites that have a login procedure. Every time I try to log in, it directs me back to the login page. Quite irritating!