10.5.6 Spotlight Calc function gone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by corywoolf, Dec 16, 2008.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

It appears Spotlight can no longer be used as a calculator in 10.5.6 :(. I hope this is a bug.
    Update: Fix at bottom of page.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

download Onyx and see if you can enable the calculator for Spotlight under Parameters.

4. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Just tried Onyx and it says the calculator is enabled. I then restored defaults and it still doesn't work. Must be a bug.

Attached Files:

5. TXBDan macrumors regular

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Mine's working just fine too. Did you fiddle with something recently?

7. Mercellus macrumors regular

Calculator in the Spotlight menu is working fine here for me as well, using a MacBook Pro (Late 2008) with Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55.

8. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

No I didn't mess with anything. The calc function worked the day before I installed the update. It must be a bug that only effects certain Mac models. I don't have anything out of the norm installed on my 12" PB, just MS Office, etc. I haven't installed any updates for 3rd party software since the OS update either.

9. WelshDog macrumors member

BTW how's the 12" 867 Minime, er I mean Powerbook, working out with 10.5.6? I have one too, but I only took it to 10.5.3 because people said 10.5.4 was very slow on it.

Is it worth upgrading to 10.5.6?

10. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I honestly can't tell a difference in the speed of general tasks, but this Spotlight bug is annoying. I repaired my permissions today and it didn't help. I don't think it's worth reinstalling over this however. I would stick with 10.5.3 for now and wait to see if Apple acknowledges this bug. It may not be widespread throughout 12" PB's, so it could take time. It just doesn't make sense that Spotlight could be affected by the model of computer I have. Maybe I just got really unlucky with this one?

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

well I've never used this feature. Is it something you're really going to miss?

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I can confirm that my MacBook Air and my iMac's spotlight are functioning perfectly with the built in calculator function. So far everyone else is saying the same thing, they are having no issues after the 10.5.6 update.
    How can you now say it's an bug in Spotlight? Maybe it's something you actually installed or a corrupted file that's causing this.
    OT but to be honest I can't see how you are running Leopard on 640MB of ram with the base specs for Leopard at 867Mhz G4.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Seriously you're going back to 10.5.3 because of THIS?!? Just pull up your Calculator... sorry, but WOW... :eek:

14. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

The world revolves around you.
    OMG Apple is foolproof, they would nevers make a mistake!

The Spotlight calculator is faster to use and allows the insertion of characters in the middle of equations already typed and it's easier to see the history of what you already entered. You get answers on the fly without having to hit return. I am using the Google calculator feature for now because it offers similar functionality, albeit less convenient (need internet connection).

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm sorry if I offended you. I had just forgotten it was there... I was surprised that anyone actually relied on it. It would also surprise me if anyone relied on Sherlock these days too.

16. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434337

Update: I read through that thread and figured out that Spotlight is not indexing some of my applications. So it looks like this is a known bug and that the current fix is to enter some commands into Terminal. Without the Calculator App being indexed, the Spotlight calculator doesn't work.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

18. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I will try it tomorrow, I am pretty tired and wasn't even planning on posting this late. Also, incase you didn't know, this Spotlight calculator feature was introduced in Leopard along with the Spotlight dictionary feature. Thanks for your effort to help tonight though. :)

19. broncopde macrumors 6502

12-inch PowerBook

FWIW, the calculator function of spotlight is working fine for me on my 12-inch PowerBook.

Attached Files:

20. plogue87 macrumors newbie

plogue87

No calc function

I lost this function too, and i'm disappointed because I really utilized it a lot.

Has anyone heard of a fix yet? I've read about it being a problem with spotlight having forgotten to index the application, is there a way to force spotlight to re-index the drive?

I realize that it seems pitiful to whine about having to launch calculator and then do math, but it just became second nature to do it within spotlight and have it over and done with...

Early 2008 MBP, 2.5 GHz, 4GB, OSX 10.5.6, BUILD 9G55

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

try opening the calculator. That seemed to fix it for the guy in the other thread.

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Picture 1.png

23. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem. :D Maybe a sticky should be made of this issue (and the fix) or at least some kind of wiki page?

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

meh. If we made a sticky for every problem like this there'd be forty hundy stickies at the beginning of each sub forum.