10.5.6 TimeMachine bug?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dadudeness, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dadudeness macrumors regular

dadudeness

Hi, I installed the update the day it came out. I'm using a USB HDD connected to my Airport Extreme n as TimeMachine Volume.

First: TimeMachine still works, BUT anytime i switch off the external HDD or power up my MB in a non-home-environment I get the '!' in the menu-bar-logo, that he couldn't do his backup job becuse there was trouble.

I never had this problem before. He never tried to backup while his backup wasn't connected

Does anyone else have this issue?

Attached Files:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i had the delayed issue as well

i fixed it by restarting the computer. hopefully that works for you

3. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

4. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

I restarted my MB and let TimeMachine run. After that I switched off the backup HDD and waited. Now he tells me that the backup is delayed again :mad:

5. ec51 macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me and I mentioned this in a couple of threads. Whenever I was on another network (other than my home one) - I got that exclamation point and delayed error. I called support - they had no idea and just told me to "turn off Time Machine when on a network other than my home one."

What I did was change the disk in preferences back to my TC - because the current disk when I was home, said "Time Capsule-1" which wasnt the name of my TC. I changed it back when you go to "change disk" and its been fine since.

Def a 10.5.6 bug...

6. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

Good to hear that it ain't my fault :)

Where did you change the disc's name?

My USB-Airport-HDD is called "400gig" and that's the name I see in finder when I choose Airport. When TimeMachine is running he mounts an image called "backup of <username>".
    In TimeMachine preferences he says the name is "400gig".

There are no diferences visible to me compared to 10.5.5

7. ec51 macrumors 6502

Go to Time Machine preferences, preferably when you are on your home network. Make sure the name of the disk is the correct one, if not change it.

8. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

Thanks, the disc-name was right but I reselected it in TM-Preferences. After the backup I switched off the drive and I'll wait what happens in about an hour...

9. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

Okay, after reselecting the real drive now he tells me that his backup volume is "400gig-1". He does that when the drive is not connected. When I connect to it in finder he switches to "400gig".
    Rereselecting doesn't fix it, after ejecting the volume he switches back to "400gig-1"

Come on Apple, fix that!

Attached Files:

10. ec51 macrumors 6502

I am now at work again and the "!" is back...

Very annoying bug.....

11. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

After I updated my iMac to 10.5.6 I get this error message when trying to use Time Capsule.
    "Time Machine Error Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while linking files on the backup volume"

However when using my MBP wirelessly things work great just like before the update.

Has anyone else had this occur?

12. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

No, haven't seen that

13. ec51 macrumors 6502

If you google TC problems after 10.5.6 or something similar - there are numerous problems going up with your problem.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

It's entirely possible that this behaviour is by design i.e. the've changed the behaviour of the menu bar icon to reflect the fact that under those circumstances your Time Machine backups won't be running. Previously you wouldn't have known from the menubar if the external disk had accidentally got unplugged, for example.

15. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

If it was a feature instead of a bug I'd expect TM to inform me that he has no connection to the backup volume instead of trying to reach it and fail.

So I don't consider this behavior a feature.

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The 10.5.6 update broke a bunch of things apparently.

I use an NAS for my time machine backups. It has been working flawlessly for the last year. Time Machine can't mount the NAS drive anymore.

While the Time Machine is a great concept, this constant fighting to keep it alive is starting to get old.

17. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe it is a bug, maybe not. However:

1. It must always have been trying to reach the drive and failing when you were offsite/on another network, it just wasn't giving you any visual indication of that before.
    2. It is informing you that it can't connect to the backup volume, by putting the exclamation mark in the icon.

18. ec51 macrumors 6502

This is what I could find from the Apple site regarding the update (about TC/TM):

Time Machine

Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.

Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.

19. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Error Message

I kept playing around with my TC Backups and found that it's still working and backing up new files as before but at the end of the process produces that error message I posted above "Time Machine Error Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while linking files on the backup volume". I think what I am going to try next is simply deleting my entire backup file and starting the process as tho it's new. I would like to see what happends then. I have multiple copies on seperate drives anyway so it won't hurt to see what happens.

You can never have enough backup copies :)

20. toddbee macrumors newbie

i have the same problem now with time machine

21. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Since installing 10.5.6, Time Machine takes a very long time to backup to my Time Capsule now.

22. Pucas macrumors member

Pucas

Same problem here.. :mad:

I've deleted the drive, ad still there is the same problem..
    It sucks soo biig..!!

23. mas90guru macrumors member

My symptom is:

After updating to 10.5.6 both my MBP and iMac hang forever on "preparing backup"

If I try to open Time Machine from my iMac I get the "connecting to backup volume..." which appears to hang forever.

I'm most decidedly unhappy about this and I also wonder how many other Time Machine/Capsule users have this problem but just have not noticed. When I mentioned this to other users on my team and they checked their Macs -- a few had the same problem.

24. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I seemed to have fixed my problem all tho I'm not sure what did the trick based on my issue i posted above. Here is what I did. I disconnected all my network drives and external drives except TC. I deleted my original backup file and started fresh. The first full backup took a bit but since each new backup seems to work fine. So i'm not sure if one of my network drives was causing the issue or if some how my original backup file because corrupt somehow?
    My MBP and iMac seem to be backing up just fine now with no errors.

25. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex