10.5.7 update - running slower now

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harmush, May 20, 2009.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

hey lads, anyone noticed after the 10.5.7 update you run slower. my keyboard is taking time to catch up with my typing now and i have to wait a noticeable amount of time longer to load webpages.
    i have a Intel iMac, which has not been affected as badly, but my MacBook is really bad since the update?

I have scanned for viruses and used onyx to see if that solved it. but not luck.

is this a problem with just me or the update in general?

2. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

I noticed general slowness as well. This morning it too so long to boot that I was wondering if my hardware is going bad. I just got the damn hard drive replaced, and the computer is only 18 months old.

-jt2

3. tallguy macrumors regular

It seems to take a bit longer to fully log in and open up applications. Maybe Apple made this latest update to cause our computers to run slower and then we will really notice a difference when Snow Leopard is released. It's all a conspiracy :p

4. TJMeier macrumors member

I was going to say the same thing! I just get the color wheel a lot more frequently now when i'm just browsing the web. However I have noticed when waking from sleep I am connected to my wireless network faster then before.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Not really sure if it is related to OS X 10.5.7 update, but I have noticed my Mac is more sluggish too. Beach ball at times, and generally slower.

Thinking of doing a fresh installation anyway.. I'm sure I've done something..

6. zeeklancer macrumors regular

lol, more people catching on. I posted the same thing a few days go.

I did a fresh install, and update and I still don't feel like my system was as fast as it was before 10.5.7. :(

This makes me sad.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dunno my system is still blazing. Maybe you guys should clear out your caches & corrupted preferences and repair permissions whilst at it

8. baddj macrumors 6502

My mac is running fast as from when i got it as i done a reinstall (hard drive was full lol)

9. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I haven't noticed either of the computers I updated to .7 running any slower. If anything it feels slightly faster, I wonder what could be causing the differences...

10. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

A little known fact...

The Windows Vista team at Microsoft wrote the code for 10.5.7....of course it is slower.

:D

11. sputacus macrumors regular

Same here since the update...running just as good as before or better.

12. DarkJaye macrumors member

Thought I'd chime in with my experience. 2009 Mac Mini here, seems just as snappy as 10.5.6, no problems with the install.

13. Jim82 macrumors member

I've been reading around the net, it seems many people are having this same problem. Including myself and my housemate.
    I have Macbook unibody 2.4, maxed ram, 320 hdd, housemate has MPB 2.4 or 2.16, it's about two series back.
    This is horrid, if it was an easy fix, I'd go back to 10.5.6. In another thread a member talked about his experience with AppleCare, and there is even a ref number he list so when you can apple, you can tell them it's problems similar to said case number.

If you have not updated to 10.5.7, I'd hold off just in-case. The possibility of your mac running slow, out weights the benefits of the updates 10.5.7 offers. In my opinion.

14. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Here are a few things that have helped me fix slowness in the past and may give a better idea whether the update is truly to blame.

Check the HD for errors
    Check the permissions
    Always try and use the combo updater which for me has never given any problems.

When applying any system updates always be sure to remove any usb /fireware devices before applying these are known to cause issues.

Disbale any third party system hacks or add-ons which maybe installed also can cause issues if not fully compatible with the new system version.

Also run an app like cocktail/onyx to remove all caches, temp files, update launch services and whois databases after update this fixed a minor issue for me after 10.5.7 update.

Also if anyone sees any error messages after the update which maybe related to slow downs post it may well bring help to find the cause and a cure for them.

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The apple store did an archive and fresh install prior to 10.5.7 and thing seen ok for me.

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

How can one go about this and be sure? Corrupted preferences? I had a new HD installed a few weeks ago.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I use a program called MainMenu

18. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

yeah, what you have all described about the beach ball and general slowness is exactly the same as me. however i just used Onyx for everything it can do. Cache, permissions, the lot, and it seems to be a lot better now. I had hundreds of permissions problems which i didn't have before the update. so i think the update has just changed a few things and its running a bit slow.

19. zeeklancer macrumors regular

Those with the slowdown, do you happen to watch tv shows from ABC ?

I had major beechballing in safari once I installed the plugin they want. I removed the plugin and things seemed to get better.

-Zeek

20. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

21. TheDoctah macrumors member

Im running 10.5.7 on my iMac and to me the system sped up after the update.

It also seems to fix my usb problems. I recommend 10.5.7!

22. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

As I said in another thread....

I had similar problems. I contacted Apple Tech Sup. They found pieces of old programs in >>>LaunchAgents under my user that were screwing things up. Also found a few old pieces of programs in LaunchDaemons in the System folder. THEN!!!!!!

I got rid of my Virus checker software via an uninstall offered by the vendor and ...Bingo! All fixed.

:eek:

BTW. this is a testimonial for NOT getting rid of unwanted programs by moving them to the trash can but rather, using the vendor-supplied uninstall to get rid of all of the fecal material associated with a given program that is not removed by a simple trashcan dump.

23. youashwag macrumors regular

Would AppCleaner get rid of everything from a certain program because that is what I have been using for a while now and I thought it has been getting rid of everything I want it to?

24. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

MacRumors has had a thread like this with nearly every Leopard release -- someone is sure their machine is slower after the install, a few people agree, a few townsfolk get their torches and pitchforks, and start marching toward Cupertino. A few days go by and the rancor subsides.

This isn't to say you're NOT experiencing a slowdown, but the net can provide a feedback loop where people hear what fears them the most. All this means, don't backgrade ... yet.

A question for some of the gurus reading ... it sounds like a viable test would be to create a new user on a machine and compare the experience with an existing user. If there's a significant difference, then migrate preferences/files/etc. to the new username. I'm running Tiger with just a single user, so I have no experience to draw from.

Unfortunately, AppCleaner and its mates wouldn't be able to handle this problem. It'll require, as elgrecomac said either a vendor-supplied uninstall or user-supplied personal OS surgery.

If you're careful, it shouldn't be too dangerous -- or at least no more dangerous than installing a new OS ::).

mt

25. zeeklancer macrumors regular

of the people who have the slow down and don't can you check the security setting of use secure virtual memory?

-Zeek