Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the debut of new iPad Pro models today at WWDC, Apple has introduced a few new accessories for its tablets. Two of the new additions to the iPad Pro accessory line are called the Leather Sleeve for 10.5-inch iPad Pro and the Leather Sleeve for 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and they include a sleeve for the iPad Pro as well as a slot for users to store their Apple Pencil. The cases cost $129.00 for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and $149.00 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

To match, Apple has also debuted a new $29.00 Apple Pencil Case, which acts as standalone storage for Apple's stylus accessory. Both the Leather Sleeve and Pencil Case come in Saddle Brown, Taupe, Midnight Blue, and Black.

apple-ipad-10.5-inch-accessories.jpg

Users interested in the more traditional Smart Cover can buy a version of Apple's popular case for their new 10.5-inch iPad Pro at a price of $49.00, in seven colorways: Mist Blue, Pollen, Flamingo, White, Pink Sand, Midnight Blue, and Charcoal Gray. A Smart Keyboard for 10.5-inch iPad Pro is up for sale on Apple's website at $159.00.

Both iPad Pro sizes have received new Leather Smart Cases as well, with the 10.5-inch iPad Pro version costing $69.00 and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro version costing $79.00.

To stay up-to-date on all the latest WWDC news, or to catch up with anything you might have missed, be sure to check out the MacRumors WWDC 2017 event recap post.

Article Link: 10.5-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Models Gain All-New Leather Sleeve and Apple Pencil Case Accessories

Last edited:

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Extremely sexy; extremely pricey. Very unfortunate, not sure what to make of it.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
129$

Let me just go ahead and pay for this with my American Express black card, NBD it's pennies.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I was pleased when they announced that they would make the leather cases available for the iPad Pros. I missed them ever since upgrading to an iPad Pro. Polyurethane just doesn't feel right.

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
How about smart case to cover the back when you get the keyboard.....how did Apple miss this?

Just dip the whole thing in varathane when you get it.
[doublepost=1496710830][/doublepost]I was thinking at first that the Pencil case might be magnetic so it could attach to the back of the iPad or front of a Smart Cover, but apparently not. Not really sure what the point of that thing is.

Reactions: Pbrutto

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
[doublepost=1496709372][/doublepost]

They didn't...
Don't see it. The article said "smart case" but the link was for the leather Smart Cover. The smart case for the Air 2 was hard to find at best of times and Apple realizes they can charge more than half the price for 1/2 the ($10) material, so I think the full Apple front and back case is done. Buy both halves if you so wish.

$29 for a pencil sleeve is terrible, and with Amazon, as well as premium case sellers out there providing more options than ever, shipped the next day, Apple is probably snickering at the prices people are willing to pay for their own version of the product with the same material a assembled in neighbouring Chinese factories.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
A little confusing that these exist, but they don't take into consideration the existence of the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard..

Reactions: RevTEG

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
I concur with all of you. Seems like a pretty large miss to not include an option for those of us with the Smart Keyboard.

Reactions: RevTEG

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I think that's a safe assumption. But it might be easier to wait until someone has hands-on with it.

I bet you're right. It just seems so crazy to expect people to buy a sleeve and a Smart Keyboard. I guess Apple just expects people to carry the keyboard cover separately? If I wanted to do that I would just carry my old Apple bluetooth keyboard around.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I don't get it. I want the Smart Cover and silicone case. They offer the cover but no back? WTF? Are we sure the existing 9.7 stuff doesn't work?

Yea I'm pretty pissed about this. Really wanted a silicone case to go with my new 10.5". I'm not at all excited to go third party on the back. As much as I love Apple, they are so very inconsistent sometimes, like offering cases for all their iPad models except for their new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.