Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPads that Apple is expected to debut at a March event aren't expected to ship until May or June, supply chain sources tell DigiTimes. An entry-level 9.7-inch iPad, however, is expected to ship within close proximity of the March event.

ipadprodesign-1-e1487913806511.jpg

In January, DigiTimes reported that the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPads were expected to enter mass production in the Q2 of 2017 while the 9.7-inch iPad would enter mass production in Q1 2017. The potential release dates partly line up with a recent report from Mac Otakara, which said the 10.5-inch iPad may not be ready to ship until May. However, that report said the three other iPad models rumored to debut at the March event, new 7.9-inch, 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iPads, are expected to ship in March.

12.9-inch iPad shipments have been drying up around the world in recent weeks, slipping to shipping estimates of 2-3 weeks in the United States, Canada, Australia, France, Germany and Japan. While increasing shipping times are a sign of an impending refresh, in this case it seems to be a supply issue.

During Apple's latest earning call, CEO Tim Cook said that the company underestimated iPad demand in the past quarter and had an issue with one of its suppliers. Cook said the issue would probably not be resolved this quarter, likely leading to shriveling 12.9-inch iPad stock. Similarly, the supply issue could keep the refreshed 12.9-inch iPad from shipping before May.

The new 10.5-inch model is expected to be the flagship model in Apple's new iPad lineup, sporting an edge-to-edge display on the same footprint as the current 9.7-inch iPad. Alongside new iPads at a March event, Apple is also expected to debut a 128 GB iPhone SE and red iPhone 7 and 7 Plus color variations.

Article Link: 10.5-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPads May Not Ship Until May or June

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I could not be more excited to get my hands on these new iPads. They will all be incredible.
[doublepost=1487914364][/doublepost]
iPad is dead

If iPad is dead, then computing is dead and we'll all be doing something else. iPad is without doubt the future of computing and Macs and Windows PC's as we know them will cease to exist soon.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not exactly in a rush to go grab one. Sources say that may be a demand issue and probably won't be resolved this quarter..

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I could not be more excited to get my hands on these new iPads. They will all be incredible.
[doublepost=1487914364][/doublepost]

If iPad is dead, then computing is dead and we'll all be doing something else. iPad is without doubt the future of computing and Macs and Windows PC's as we know them will cease to exist soon.

Hi Tim, is it you?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Tim seriously focus on your products and stop playing Apple's version of celebrity big brother winner.

It's not s Mac Pro.....you are announcing and launching 2-3 months later....it's an iPad....your bread and butter. Stop making political statements and make some business statements to your teams to get their act together and hit delivery timelines .

Last edited:

Douglas B

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
Good to know so we don't get our hopes up.

Even if the 10.5 is not ready it's good for Apple to announce it along with the other refreshed iPads. Otherwise people might buy a refreshed iPad and then only two months later a fancy 10.5 comes out - they'd feel pretty annoyed.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Whew, gives me time to sell my 12.9" Pro before the "normies" realize there is a new model on the market.

Haven't used it much since getting a travel 12" rMacbook.

Reactions: Stutterer

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Google trucks and cars, Steve jobs.

You sir just need a car, does not mean others do not need trucks. Steve knew this very well, This is beyond Tim...so he just "tries" to simplify the situation, though is very wrong. Macs and PCs are going nowhere.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You plan on getting ALL of them? :eek:

I haven't decided yet. I need to see the final specs and be certain they all can work with the Apple Pencil.

Usually I stick with minis and probably will continue to do so if the specs are good. I have a Surface so I don't really need a huge iPad.

There is the possibility I won't upgrade at all.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
The iPad mini doesn't make sense anymore with the increasing sizes of the phones. Four iPad sizes is just goofy.

Wife loves her mini and also has an iPhone 7. Doesn't want a 7 Plus, since it's too big for a pocket. Wants an iPad mini for travel, kids entertainment at restaurants/car, etc. The mini is the only iPad we would buy.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I want to upgrade my iPad mini 3 to an iPad Pro. Hoping the rumors of a mini Pro are true. If not, I'll get the 10.5" when it comes out. March or May. It's all good. Just a couple months.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
And life goes on for most

Still, many here will predictably get all frothed up with a major case of the shakes. Wah...

Reactions: ABC5S

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Really itching to upgrade my aging mini 2. If Apple continues to treat the mini as a stepchild, I'll keep my mini 2.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Here's how you know the 10.5" is not close to release: No part leaks. I assume that it would leak quickly after production since anyone on an assembly line can tell it's a new physical design.

Reactions: Keerock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.