10.6.2 - Wifi Issues Still Exist?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryannazaretian, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Okay, so 10.6.2 fixed a lot of things for me... but Wifi is still problematic. It's not disconnecting on me anymore, it just slows to a crawl and I have to turn the card off, then back on for it to work. It's fine on Windows. I just clean installed 2 weeks ago (backed up, formatted, installed from disk, updated to 10.6.2 immediately). This shouldn't be happening.

Anyone else having these issues? We have plenty of other wireless devices on the network that have no issues.

2. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Indeed.
    I'm using SL 10.6.2 and never had any kind of wireless issues.
    MB990BZ/A and the wireless card works wonderfully. I can say that it works even better than any other wireless device I've ever seen.

You could try changing the encryption of wireless connection in the router settings. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with WPA Personal security mode.

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I take it back... I think my WiFi card is toast. It's disconnecting in OSX and Windows. None of the other 4 laptops on the network have any issues.

4. davidcmc macrumors 6502

That's very plausible.
    Is it still in Warranty? Take it to Apple.

5. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Yea, but there is a problem.

I called Apple, and told them that the WiFi keeps on losing the signal. They said to call my ISP because it's not their problem and they're not going to look into it any further!?!? How the hell does the WiFi have anything to do with the ISP. They said something about the ISP is giving me a bad IP address. Isn't that what the router is for?

The router is fine. We have 4 other laptops that don't have any connection issues. It's just the MacBook Pro. I know everything she said was BS.

She was really pretty rude about it.

I want to do a hardware test, but I can't get that to work either. It's in another thread.

6. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Theres a command that you do while booting the MBP to start hardware test.
    I don't remember the key sequence, but you can Google it.

Yea. Apple call center told you BS about ISP and IP things... I'd just lol at her and call again for another smarter person from Apple call center.

Try to explain to them that you're not loosing your connection to the Internet, but loosing the wireless signal, and that it, obviously, has nothing to do with the ISP.

7. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I got the hardware test working. I had to use the old Application Install DVD because it was on there.

Also, I talked with another woman that took me through a lot of steps with cleaning out a lot of things. I'm not sure if it has fixed the WiFi problem, but it surely helped out with battery life. The process mds would always run at 25% and I always had about a 1MB/s inbound network connection. Now it stays flat when I'm not using it, and I get the old 5:30 battery life I was used to in Leopard. Now to see how long it lasts like this.

8. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Care to share what those steps were? I'm sure a lot of people here would love to improve their battery life.

9. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Yea I'd love to know how to improve battery life too.

10. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

No promises, but it was something like this:

Remove all login items from the Account's PrefPane.

Delete everything in System/Library/StartupItems

Delete everything in Users/Username/Library/Fonts

Move Users/Username/Library/Caches to Trash

Empty Trash

Restart

I'm not responsible if you screw something up by doing this because I'm going off of memory. Of course, deleting everything from the Login Items and StartupItems will remove anything you have to start at startup... such as Fan Control.

I didn't have anything in my Fonts folder, so I'm not sure what would be in there since it looks like all the fonts are in the system folder and not my user folder...

And the Caches is pretty self explanatory.

I also removed everything from my dashboard except iStat Pro and reset Safari.

Restart, and hopefully you have better battery life. Something was running in the background eating up the CPU and WiFi bandwidth. After doing this, whatever it was, was gone and I had an hour extra of battery life and my system actually idled at 100% idle with no network utilization. Just how it should be when I'm not doing anything.

Not sure if this will help out much, but it did for me. Try it and see if you wish. None of what I have done should have impacted the battery life, but it did seem to.