10.6 dev preview

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rick98761, Jun 12, 2009.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Anyone using the snow leopard wwdc dev preview? Is it stable enough for day to day use? Also, having never bothered to install the dev seeds I have one other question. Will this update to the new seeds via software update, or will I have to download and burn new copies of the ADC each time I want to upgrade to the newest seed? How do these dev previews typically handle upgrading to the retail release?

2. Roeltjah macrumors newbie

I'm using the 10A380 Build, and it's a bit more stable than the previous already stable A354 Build, so yeah, it's good enough as main os :) So far no probs and it runs a bit faster than Leopard :)

3. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

how about future updates, how does that process work? Have to burn a full new DVD or can you just run it through software update?

One other thing, can I just install this over leopard, or will I need to format and start fresh?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why don't you wait until the retail version comes out?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Whatever you do, I highly suggest backing up your system in case something goes wrong.

6. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

because there are a lot of nice features I would like to be using right now, and if updates to dev seeds, and to the final version are painless. And it runs well, why not?

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I've been using the WWDV Developer Preview (Build 10A380) for two days now as my main OS. It's been extremely stable thus far. With that said, make sure you do make a backup of everything if you do decide to run Snow Leopard. Apps in Snow Leopard launch faster than they do in Leopard and everything does feel snappier.

There were a few problems I ran into however.
    -iStat Menubar does not work. The Dashboard widget still works, but the menubar utility does not. I have contacted the maker of iStat, and they are going to release a Snow Leopard compatible version in a few weeks.
    -Quicktime X has no Preferences menu. This isn't a big deal though. VLC still works for most of the movies I have to play.
    -Vuze does not work with Snow Leopard. I have been using uTorrent for Mac until a Snow Leopard compatible version of Vuze is released.
    -My MacBook Pro had to be shut down via the holding the power button once. The only time was right after installing Snow Leopard. It has shut down fine ever since.
    -SoundSource menu bar item does not work. I'm certain that all these menu bar apps will work once they have been updated for Snow Leopard. I'm using the default volume control now.

Other than that, it's a really sweet update to Leopard and I can't wait until the official release comes out in September.

Here's a picture of my desktop. It doesn't show much, but I think the new Quicktime X icon is worth taking a look at. It's cool. :p
    [​IMG]

All you have to do is burn the image to a DL DVD.. or you can put it on your external hard drive or a partition in your main hard drive and install from there. It doesn't wipe data. Just a painless upgrade. It took about a half hour for me running it off my iPod.

Edit: Sims 3 is hanging at random points under Snow Leopard. The only way to fix that is to hold the power button. :-/

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Updates don't come through software update. You'll have to "obtain" each new seed and install it over your current. It's not ready for public consumption, it's a beta.

The new QT icon is not in the latest developer build.

9. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

After updating to Snow Leopard, I had to install three updates. They were only the Airport Utility update and the iTunes update.. along with an xServe Raid update or something like that. Anyways, software update for applications does work. I don't know if OS updates would work. But anyways, this build is really stable and I think the main code is almost all done. To me, this Snow Leopard build is an updated Leopard. It's very stable.

I found the icon online and I changed it. It is the new Quicktime X icon.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

And, AFAIK, the dev seeds don't say "Version 10.X," they say the build number.

11. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

My Developer Preview says "Version 10.6"

12. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

So they can show both.

Quillz, do you have 10.6 installed? Can you empty trash without "secure empty"?

14. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Yes, you can empty the Trash without having to use "Secure Empty Trash." But the latter is still needed if you try to delete something that can only be done by an Administrator. (Like if you are currently running an application but try to delete its preferences while the app is still running.)

15. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I have tired emptying the trash. Right clicking it and selecting Empty Trash makes a dialog box pop up asking me if I want to securely empty the trash. The only options are "yes" and "cancel". There's no place to empty it regularly.

16. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

What OS/build are you using? Sounds like something got corrupted.

I never have to use "Secure Empty Trash." I have to go out of my way to use it.

17. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

18. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Well, there must be something wrong with your build or machine. I'm running Snow Leopard on a late-2007 MacBook and everything works fine, barring some already documented bugs.

19. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Problem solved. The "Empty Securely" option in Finder preferences was checked for some reason. Unchecked it, and it's working fine now. Stupid me.

Any idea why screen recordings from Quicktime X won't import into Final Cut Pro?

20. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Probably because you're running unfinished software on an unfinished OS.

21. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Even if I am, I don't think that's the reason. I'm guessing Quicktime is exporting in AVCHD. FCP supports AVCHD.

22. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Really, I think it's because QuickTime X is unfinished. I'd recommend waiting for the next leaked build and see if things are any better.

23. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

No 64-bit GMA X3100 drivers. I hate you, Apple.

24. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

The leaked build is pre-WWDC. We really should wait for some newer builds to leak or get released before making conclusions.

25. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

The leaked build is 10A380, which is the build given out at WWDC. The X3100 drivers show a last modified date (I assume compile date) of 29th May 2009, so they're fairly up-to-date. Because they're not 64-bit capable, OSX effectively needs to load a 32-bit kernel in parallel (see the IOKit/BSDKernel/Mach...etc 6.0 extensions).

EDIT: Here's the break-down:
    The GA and GLDriver plugins are 64-bit capable, but the kernel extensions are 32-bit, necessitating 32-bit kernel extensions to effectively run a 32-bit kernel in parallel. I'm not an expert in OSX's graphics system, but I believe this lets 64-bit apps use the X3100 (via the plugins) without Apple having to write a 64-bit driver for the system. If that's true, it's such a hack.

Attached Files: