10.6 - Who's going to just upgrade vs wipe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SilentCrs, Aug 9, 2009.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

Normally I never do this, but looking at 10.6 previews and reading that, for the most part, it's a "service pack" I'm tempted to just do an upgrade this time around (rather than wipe my drive).

The reason? Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't feel I have the time to wipe, install 10.6, reinstall my OS, redo my Bootcamp partitions (on 2 machines), etc. I wouldn't wipe for a service pack on my Windows machines anyway.

What are people's thoughts on this? Are you just going to upgrade or are you going to wipe your 10.5 off first? Also, what kind of experiences have people had doing this (I know upgrading versions on Windows can be a nightmare with all the cruft left over).

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm most likely just going to upgrade because it is so much faster. I upgraded my computers to Leopard and didn't run into any problems, so hears hoping for another good experience from upgrading :)

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I typically do an archive and install. That is what I will most likely do this time. Doesn't take quite as long as a wipe and install but will prevent some possible problems.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

10.6 is not a service pack! Have you read Apple's page about all the new things in it like Open Cl and GCD?

I'll probably be doing the following:

1. Identify all the applications I use that come on a .dmg.

2. Put the .dmgs in a burn folder and burn it.

3. Do a TM backup.

4. Wipe the HDD and install SL.

5. Install iLife and iWork.

6. Restore documents, iPhoto library, etc a la carte from my TM backups.

7. Install apps from the CD I burned earlier.

5. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I plan to trust that Apple knows what they are doing and just do an upgrade. I don't want the headache of reinstalling everything.

6. email68 macrumors regular

If you do this method, is it necessary to maintain the same short user name?

Tim

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wipe 'n' install for me. Did that with every new OS, not planning to stop now.

8. Demthios macrumors member

I will probably just upgrade it since I got the laptop from school and don't have access to all the software/keys that I would need to reinstall all the software.

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Apparently the placebo effect is maximized when doing a wipe and install vs an upgrade install. I myself have always just done the upgrade and haven't had any problems in doing so. Just like some swear by using the combo updates for OS X point updates to have less issues theoretically. I always just use the Software Update delta updates and have never had an issue there either. The upgrade option is there for a reason so I figure I may as well use it if no issues result.

10. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

as much as i would love to do a complete wipe and install of everything, i am not sure i want to deal with that hassel anymore.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

For me:

From Tiger to Leopard - I wipe and installed
    For Leopard to Snow Leopard - will probably just upgrade
    For Snow Leopard to ??? - wipe and install

??? = some revolutionary new OS (before you get your panties in a wad, even Apple reports this as a "Refined, not reinvented" change)

12. acxz macrumors regular

13. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

gotta agree with you on that, i dont have the time or energy to do all that... again.

14. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I'll do an upgrade. If I run into issues, there's always the option to do a fresh install.

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Archive & Install this time. Given that Snow Leopard is all about optimisation and performance I want to ensure I'm getting the full benefit.

16. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I have always wiped, panther to tiger, tiger to leopard.

But maybe I will upgrade this time. And if its slower than leopard, back up and wipe.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Jaguar -> Panther: I bought a new system, so technically a clean install.
    Panther -> Tiger: Did an upgrade, and wished I'd done a clean install.
    Tiger -> Leopard: Did an upgrade, and wished I'd done a clean install.
    Leopard -> Snow Leopard: Will be clean installing.

18. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Probably not, but I'll be using the same one just to be sure. You can always make an alias for it in System Preferences.

19. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Archive and Install. Never trusted upgrade-in-place, too much that can go wrong with that. I'd do a full wipe, but I figure I'd just move my own stuff back in anyway, so I might as well do an A&I and have the installer just do the work for me. I figure this way, it's a clean copy, just with my home folder and /Applications copied back in.

20. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I'm going to do the same thing I did when upgrading from Tiger to Leopard.

Back up app .dmgs, iPhoto Library, Documents and Music to an external drive.
    Wipe the internal drive and install SL.
    Reinstall all apps and copy everything from the external.

I wasn't a fan of the upgrade function when installing Leopard from Tiger. Lagfest Ho! So I'm just going to go with the wipe and install method from the getgo.

21. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

upgrade question

Since Snow Leopard is $29 for Leopard users, will it check your hard drive for Leopard before installing? I want to put Snow Leopard when it's released on a clean SSD on my Macbook.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll upgrade one machine and see how it runs for a while. Then assess my next steps.

23. pjmburg macrumors newbie

Why would you need to redo Bootcamp anyway? The last time I installed Leopard, I just selected the partition I wanted it installed on and the Windows partition was unaffected.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm clean installing even though upgrading saves time. Things might do wrong with an upgrade and I don't have time for that. I do have a few hours to spare for a clean wipe and install. For the record, SL is not a service pack. In car analogies, it's like going from Mercedes Benz to Ferrari.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

POLL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

i will be "archiving and installing". wiping is useless to me.