Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
People need to make mistakes. This is how they learn.
That's how PCs with Windows work. And how did that work out? Did they all become computer experts? No. People don't get it, they make mistakes, they lose all their stuff.

So tired of Apple coddling the masses. Starts to feel almost condescending in tone "You are too stupid to have tools at your disposal that you may misuse".
Because they do. And as we can see, people like working with an OS that makes everything easier. And you're implying that Apple makes it impossible to change anything, but that's not true. If you're a power user you can do whatever you want. All the tools are still there, the presentation is just different to accomodate many more types of computer users.

How are we supposed to move forward technologically if all we give people are huge simple buttons (ie Google) and mystery rhetoric as to how it all works.
I'd say that is moving forward.

Things should be getting more complicated not less.
Good luck with that.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
That's how PCs with Windows work. And how did that work out? Did they all become computer experts? No. People don't get it, they make mistakes, they lose all their stuff.

Because they do. And as we can see, people like working with an OS that makes everything easier. And you're implying that Apple makes it impossible to change anything, but that's not true. If you're a power user you can do whatever you want. All the tools are still there, the presentation is just different to accomodate many more types of computer users.

I'd say that is moving forward.

Good luck with that.

We are coming from 2 very differing places. I think people deserve to lose their stuff if they are too lazy to learn how things work. Should we also stop giving driving tests before issuing licenses to people? Digitally that is what we are doing. All for the almighty consumer dollar.
Not sure why you would say "people like working with an OS that makes everything easier". Please back that fuker up. What in Lion makes thing easier? Freaking launchpad? C'mon. I have to patch and then run upwards of 20+ commands to get things back to the way they used to be, you know, functional. 10.7 (10.7.1) is a piece of ***** and I am convinced only fanbois like it. It has so much enterprise fail it is laughable. It is a local account home users dream maybe, but professionals are very bummed out.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
We are coming from 2 very differing places. I think people deserve to lose their stuff if they are too lazy to learn how things work. Should we also stop giving driving tests before issuing licenses to people? Digitally that is what we are doing. All for the almighty consumer dollar.

Not sure why you would say "people like working with an OS that makes everything easier". Please back that fuker up. What in Lion makes thing easier? Freaking launchpad? C'mon. I have to patch and then run upwards of 20+ commands to get things back to the way they used to be, you know, functional. 10.7 (10.7.1) is a piece of ***** and I am convinced only fanbois like it. It has so much enterprise fail it is laughable. It is a local account home users dream maybe, but professionals are very bummed out.

Agreed on all that, especially the first point - my words to describe it are that now the system is trying to save users from themselves, and it's not pretty.

Just go back to 10.6.8 like I did, 10.7 is total garbage....

...and I am a BIG fan of Apple by the way.

Yep, that's what this weekend is for. This is my line in the sand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.