10.7.1 hides the ~/Library folder again

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by netnothing, Aug 17, 2011.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

On both my machines I unhid the ~/Libray folder using:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Well....the 10.7.1 update re-hid them again.

WTF Apple?!? :mad:

If I'm smart enough to unhide them.....LEAVE them unhidden.

-Kevin

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

I just hold Option in Finder, then choose the Go menu to show the Library.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah....that's not the point. I can use one of the 7000 methods to get in there. But when I set it to be shown.....Apple shouldn't be changing it back.

-Kevin

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I have un hidden mine again

What I did notice, it stayed in the sidebar, wasnt removed from here

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I always expect if I modify system files or settings that weren't necessarily intended to be changed that they may be reverted when I update the system.

I do think Apple should put an option in Finder preferences to hide or unhide the Library folder. But really, it's not a big deal.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

It is if you need to access Library folder contents on a regular basis.

Try hiding your Pictures folder, or your Movies folder or your Documents folder, whichever you use a lot. Entering eg "chflags hidden ~/Documents" in terminal will accomplish that. You can get along without seeing any of these just as well as some of us get along without seeing the Library folder. Then come back and tell us it's not a big deal.

7. rorschach, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I set a keyboard shortcut for my Library folder (Command-Shift-L) in System Preferences, I have it in the Finder sidebar, and I can access it from the Go menu.

So no, it's not a big deal.

8. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Make an alias to it in your Home folder. Future updates shouldn't break that.

9. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Open Terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library

Authenticate.

10. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

It's not a big deal for 99% of the users, since they never use the Library folder or use the other options of getting there mentioned in this topic. If you're such an advanced user that you spend all day in the Library folder, you should know by now that that's how Apple works. They compromise, and that 1% of users that's affected are just out of luck.

I think that's a good point which would explain the change, e.g. when Apple assumes that showing the Library by default can only cause problems or confusion for the majority of its users. There's a reason they hid it in the first place. People who don't know any better think it's something for books or documents, or try deleting it since they have no idea what all that stuff is.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

People need to make mistakes. This is how they learn. So tired of Apple coddling the masses. Starts to feel almost condescending in tone "You are too stupid to have tools at your disposal that you may misuse". How are we supposed to move forward technologically if all we give people are huge simple buttons (ie Google) and mystery rhetoric as to how it all works. Things should be getting more complicated not less.

12. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

If you need to be messing with things in the library folder, you should probably be proficient enough with the terminal to not be relying on the GUI to do so.

13. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Holy cow. So much mad blind defending if Apple blatantly deciding it knows better than the user what they want. This place has gone to the dogs, and then some :(. I'm sure people used to flame less around here. And the negs, oh the negs, I can feel them coming now :rolleyes:.

I like how Lion is all about efficiency. Features like autosave/versions mean more clicks to stop the system screwing with your files. Changes like this OP mean more work on our part to get back functionality we've always had and have no intention of giving up tyvm. You're all so ready to embrace HAL/Skynet it scares me. A big leap? I don't think so anymore.

14. AppliedMicro, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

There's a small difference though:
    A user's Library folder is not part of system files or system settings.

While I believe hiding the Library folder is a sensible default setting for most users, I also believe Apple should NOT subsequently mess with my personal settings, files and folders within my home folder.

15. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Just be glad the issue at hand is thwarted using a simple Terminal command. Can't say that for complete re-writes such as Mission Control which replaces Spaces and Expose' :(

The writing is on the wall people... "My way or the Highway".

And speaking of the mouse-happy cowardly neggers around here... I'm *really* going to pay some attention to Windows 8. :D

16. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

The 99% have much more money than the 1%, hence you are going to have to deal with it. If you are that much of a guru and need to be in there all the time, you should be smart enough to make an alias on your dock or sidebar. You could even be super high speed and have a keyboard shortcut to open the library folder. :rolleyes:

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's they way it's always been with Apple.

18. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Just go back to 10.6.8 like I did, 10.7 is total garbage....

...and I am a BIG fan of Apple by the way.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There's pieces of it that I absolutely love - Near instant access to desktop and wifi after login, Safari truly being snappy, versions, autosave, hidden scrollbars (finally).

There's pieces of it that I absolutely hate - Mission Control, Safari crashing multiple times a day, lack of color in Finder.

20. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Can't. Snow Leopard won't support iCloud.

21. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I go to User/Library/Application Support on a daily basis to fix things and manage my games (Steam, Minecraft). It's an absolute necessity for me, so not only do I need access to it, but I also need easy access to it. Opening the Finder, clicking Alt + Go and choosing Library from the list is NOT an easy and quick way of doing it. The Library is where all applications store their settings. It's where all the corrupted files are that you need to delete when something goes bad. It's where games put your saved games, and where Steam puts screenshots. It's where Crossover puts everything. When you delete an app, all the crap it created in Application Support is still there, forever, unless you manually delete it.

Apple is freaking retarded for hiding it. And if they let me unhide it, fine. Just don't keep hiding it at each ******** update! I'm not a virus that requires patching at each update, I'm a user, and I need access to most things on my computer, except the actual OS X files (though it happens that something needs to be done in there as well).

22. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

will this get hidden again if you do a repair permissions?

it will check the folder and think it should be hidden so re hide it

23. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Ummm, that's the way it is with most companies. Apple is no different. Why would you expect them to be?