Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
They did have a file progress indicator before in the file's icon. I presume now the progress bar is for all files that are being downloaded right now?
Is there the same progress bar on folder stacks if files are being copied into them?

The old indicator wasn't a dynamic progress bar. Safari literally had like 10 document icons representing progresses ranging from 0-100% to reflect the status of a download, and it'd switch between them from time to time to indicate progress.

And yeah, I've verified that the new progress indicator occurs when doing any sort of transfer operation to a folder in general, so long as the folder is in the dock.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
fan-****ing-tastic. i will wholeheartedly upgrade to mountain lion now. another question, did they also bring back minimized apps to be shown in mission control, or is that still only present in app expose?

Still only in app exposé.

The download progress bar also appears in the Finder as would any other copy operation. Pretty cool.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 12.47.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 12.47.56 PM.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 429

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Must say, it is an absolute pleasure running Mountain Lion DP 3.1.

The OS feels so much more responsive, particularly when using Safari.

Have not had any crashes whatsoever, nor any program that doesn't want to work under it (that didn't already have a recent update made available).

Very much like the download status indicators on files. Nice touch.

I have never seen a new OS so well polished this early in the game.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Have not had any crashes whatsoever, nor any program that doesn't want to work under it (that didn't already have a recent update made available).

Great news.

Now I just need iCloud to really hit the ground running. Chief complaints that I have read are about the lack of documentation. Many of the iCloud enabled apps I run do a pretty good job of syncing my data but the developers probably had to do a lot of "trial and error" to get things running.

If Mountain Lion is delivered with improved documentation for developers and even better API support we're going to see a flood of supported apps and it will really usher in a new way of syncing content to your devices.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

Hopefully this will be Lion done right, or as Windows fans would say, Windows 7 ('cos Lion was Vista).

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
In the original DP3 when you got sent a video in messages it had a new look and you could watch it right there and control the volume and make it full screen was pretty cool (though it had it's bugs like by showing the play button in the middle always) Now when I click the play button in the middle it doesn't do anything unless I double click it then it quickviews it

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Just noticed that the Finder sidebar categories are now draggable.

This means you can drag Devices and Shared back to where they were in 10.6.

-SC

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Wow. It looks like Mountain Lion is really coming together. As a fan of both Mac and Windows I've been following the progress of both ML and W8 so I can decided later this year which OS is going to be my main one.

Based on spending some serious time over at the MS blog site for W8 I'm seeing a distinct trend. Apple is working its way out of the mini-Vista that Lion turned out to be while at the same time Microsoft is creating its next Vista.

So far I'd predict that my next phone will be an iPhone rather than a Windows8 Phone. MS won't completely lose out because I'll upgrade Office 2011 to the next version while leaving Office 2010 as it is.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
scottsjack,

Take it from someone that was a die-hard PC (Windows) user for years....

Once you go Mac, you will never want a Windows computer again.

There's a reason why Apple is the most successful company in the world. They make quality products and operating systems that all work very well together. So, absolutely, you want an iPhone to seamlessly work with your desktop through iCloud functionality.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
- iCloud Tabs button in Safari has been slightly tweaked. The default pop-up that appears when no tabs are synced has changed. (I haven't been able to what it looks like when it's actually grabbing tabs off iCloud since I don't have any other devices that support tab syncing.)

- In addition to displaying a download / transfer progress bar in the dock, a folder stack with an active Safari download / file transfer shows individual dynamic status bars for each file being moved. You can also click an "x" button and cancel the transfer. (This is a little bit bugged. In my testing, canceling a transfer caused the Dock to freeze or created strange behavior that could only be resolved by killing the process manually.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.27.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.27.08 PM.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,144
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.26.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.26.25 PM.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 114

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
ML is turning out to be an awesome update because there are tiny improvements across the OS X, which may take people some time to appreciate what Apple did in ML. This looks to be a Leopard-type of update with 300+ improvements (not features for sure).

This may be why they're doing yearly updates, they can just deliver improvements like this in smaller updates and if you were to combine 2-3 years worth of updates, it'd feel like a major update for everybody.

blast87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Somewhere on this forum I saw a pic of the icloud logo being in the taskbar at the top right, in the area next to battery/sound/wifi/etc.
Is that from ML or someone else's program? If it is part of ML, what does that icon do?

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
The download progress bar also appears in the Finder as would any other copy operation. Pretty cool.

Very nice. I wonder if it's hard-coded or if there's an API, i.e., it's expected to be in Chrome soon and Firefox hopefully someday. (Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer Firefox despite its slow adaptation of Lion stuff.)

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
When you select multiple mails in Mail, they slide out onto a stack as on the iPad.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-05-03 um 14.29.21.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-05-03 um 14.29.21.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 270
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.