Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Mountain Lion looks awesome, however,
2. More importantly, will it incorporate better TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without resorting to using 3rd party enabler apps?

Nope.

----------

I would hope not. If they try to do that in a future OS, they will sell a lot less copies of that (and less future computers with it preinstalled), and I'm pretty sure they know that.

And you know that how? They've had the Finder and iDisk for years....no one cared...except a very small user base.

iOS is already better than OS X in a lot of ways, and Apple is addressing that beautifully with Lion and now Mountain Lion.

Don't even bother with further comments on the subject. The idea that archaic, rigid file manager has anything to do with the post-pc era is ludicrous. Its just not happening, and people don't care for it.

The average person does not care about or want to see files. You, the person who does care, knows where to find them. It works for all, so start getting used to it.

The way you used to do things, was the only way. Now there are better ways. Don't complain because you don't feel like changing. No one said you ever needed to update your machine past Tiger, or Leopard.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Any info if Microsoft Office will come out to support 10.8 ML? It's been said they might release the next Office Suite on the Mac App Store but will they do it before ML or after its release?

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Any info if Microsoft Office will come out to support 10.8 ML? It's been said they might release the next Office Suite on the Mac App Store but will they do it before ML or after its release?

A totally new version of Office (2013 or 2014) is a ways away, but they had promised a version that included versions and full screen. Of course that was many months ago, but that version will probably be submitted to the Mac App Store.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Sigh. Goodbye what's left of battery life.

Good point.. Didn't even think of that.
Maybe a better solution would just downlaod a list of the URL's on the other devices at any given time and load the actual content of the currently stored websites when Safari is (re)launched.
I just don't think that Apple is likely to prominently feature a "sync tabs" button in Safari's interface. Unless they reclaim space from adding an Omnibox?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
UI Changes in Date & Time Settings.

Nevermind it is the same as Lion :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 10.35.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 10.35.41 PM.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
And you know that how? They've had the Finder and iDisk for years....no one cared...except a very small user base. ... The idea that archaic, rigid file manager has anything to do with the post-pc era is ludicrous.

Heh. You should've read my follow-up comment - the comment you're quoting was a response to the thought that Apple would remove the Finder and file system access, which wasn't even introduced by the comment before me, I just misread it.

But, are you seriously saying no one cared about the Finder? Because that would be weird. Sure, in Lion they made it a lot easier to live mostly without it, and that trend will probably continue - but people have this tendency to use archaic, rigid, USB pen drives. Sure, most start using services like Dropbox to share files - which they access using the Finder. Can you share your documents with the new iCloud? - Frankly, it would be weird and archaic if you couldn't, but as far as I know Apple didn't advertise that yet, so they might not include it in 10.8.0. But even if they do, that just leaves the significant number of people sharing files with Windows users, that will still have to use the file system. Just saying.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero problems with change. When I switched to the Mac in 2009, I was happy to use the file browser a lot less thanks to Spotlight, Stacks and such. So if Apple found a way to make people not have to use the Finder, ever, I would welcome that - I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

87racer

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Oregon
Just figured out another solution to VMWare Fusion on a Mountain Lion host. Check this out if you need it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 2.47.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 2.47.08 AM.png
    475.6 KB · Views: 359

Apollo1111

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
Archiving in Mail with a Gmail account

Does anyone know if they fixed the functionality of the Archive button in Mail when you use it with a Gmail account?

It works as you'd expect in iOS, but in Lion it moves the message into a /Archive folder, which is super annoying.

Last edited:

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Finder is sure not the ultimate solution but still the best available. I thing he will be around for quite a while even if something new will be introduced.

App-centric saving I don't consider as a good solution. Although iTunes and Aperture are named as good example, this is a technical approach. You are saving according to file types. And that is not the way to go making things simpler.

As we all know, everything moves to the internet and therefor to the computer. Doing homework, recieving invoices, preparing your holidays, plannign your wedding, calculating financials etc... All that is cumulating to a lot of stuff with different files. Try to do that with the iPad, it's very very inconvenient. Much easier on the Mac.

I don't think we need a fixed folder/file structure for placing data. We could do it the other way around so that files have their "location" attached similar to tagging. Two files with the attached info "wedding" would show up in a dynamically created (or virtual) folder "wedding". These folders could be everywhere you search for it. Remove the content and the folder will disappear again. (Maybe a finder-like function will make it into the apps.)

But just dumping all files into an app withour further care makes no sense at all. Sooner or later everyone has to deal with files/data.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Right. App-centric saving is essentially a very simple type of tagging that only allows the tag "open with application AppName". I can see the appeal of a sophisticated tagging system - if you really wanted to, you could achieve that now, either by creating aliases or with smart folders and Spotlight comments. On the other hand, if folders containing tags were allowed, you could emulate a folder structure with tags.

Just dumping stuff into an app might make sense with iTunes and iPhoto/Aperture - I say might, because there might as well be use cases where even that doesn't make sense. Like if you want to edit a photo with Photoshop and have to fire up iPhoto just for that, because you can't find the file without it.

I present you: Terminal :D

Nice :D

imcquill

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
calendar

In Calendar (iCal), if you're in 'month view', and you go to the "next month", does it show that page turning animation? That is the worst animation in history, because if you want to quickly move forward 5 months, it goes from taking 1s with no animation, to 20s when you have to wait for each animation to complete.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
In Calendar (iCal), if you're in 'month view', and you go to the "next month", does it show that page turning animation? That is the worst animation in history, because if you want to quickly move forward 5 months, it goes from taking 1s with no animation, to 20s when you have to wait for each animation to complete.

There's no animation when you click the 'next' arrow, however it will animate if you use 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad.

imcquill

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
There's no animation when you click the 'next' arrow, however it will animate if you use 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad.

Well, I think that's a reasonable compromise. In Lion, it animates with the keyboard shortcut as well. Thanks.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Well, I think that's a reasonable compromise. In Lion, it animates with the keyboard shortcut as well. Thanks.

You might want to hold down the alt-key until then when clicking the buttons. That suppresses the animation in Lion as well.

tootall

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
slow disappearance of Finder

Can anyone please explain me why or how Finder would disappear? I understand the principle of App-centric file saving but that does not make finder obsolete. In my case, and I am sure I am not alone, I save several files in folders according to a common characteristic such as a project name. In each folder, I have several different types of files (xlsx, docx, pptx, jpg, pdf, ...), opening files through the apps instead of finder would not be very efficient when one has hundreds or even thousands of projects.

Can someone please reassure me?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
settle down, nobody is saying there won't be a finder.

some people feel like apple is going to move away from requiring the user to create a file system with their own hierarchy. Finder will still be there for those power users who need/want this feature, but for those who don't, the apps will take care of the file system for you.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
A few quick questions on desktop behaviour.

1) In Lion, if you close the last window of a full screen Safari session and then open a new link with a shortcut (i.e.: ⌘2 will open my second bookmarks bar page) this opens in windowed mode. Is this still the case in ML or does it remember I was set to full screen mode and open the page in full screen?

2) Has the annoying "This Desktop" option work better in Lion. i.e.: If I've got an app open in Desktop 3 and set it to This Desktop, I do this so that I know pressing ^ 3 will take me to that desktop. If for some reason I close that desktop when the app is closed though, it forgets my setting an will open on desktop 1 when I relaunch the app. It would be much better if opening the app would create the required desktops again so that the app relaunched in Desktop 3 where I was last working on it.

3) Is there an option to set the desktop image for all desktops. If you only have desktop 1 open in Lion and change the desktop, this is reflected in any new desktops you create. However, if you've got more than one desktop open when the desktop image is set, it's just for the desktop you're on. A check box for apply to all desktops would be nice.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Can anyone please explain me why or how Finder would disappear? I understand the principle of App-centric file saving but that does not make finder obsolete. In my case, and I am sure I am not alone, I save several files in folders according to a common characteristic such as a project name. In each folder, I have several different types of files (xlsx, docx, pptx, jpg, pdf, ...), opening files through the apps instead of finder would not be very efficient when one has hundreds or even thousands of projects.

Can someone please reassure me?

A long time ago, the Terminal was the only way to interact with a computer. Now it's role in everyday use of a computer is very small - I'm sure there are many users that are not even aware of the Terminal.app in OSX, and wouldn't know what to do with it once it's launched.

For a while, the Finder (and it's equivalents on other OSs) was an integral part of everyday use: To start an application, you would navigate to its installation directory and launch it from there. Same for accessing a file.
These days, my use of the finder is much reduced, and I actually prefer whenever I don't have to use it. To launch an app, I use launchpad (one gesture, one click), to access a file I use an appropriate application and hope that the file is still in the "recent files."

They won't remove the finder. However it will loose it's importance for everyday use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.