10.8 GM - lag improvements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rikbrown, Jul 9, 2012.

1. rikbrown macrumors regular

Please do not reply to this thread if you are one of the people who "do not" have (or cannot perceive) UI stuttering/lag on the rMBP. Please continue reading if you are having a problem with this.

Simple question... for those of you who've been using 10.8 DP4 and have now upgraded to GM (I'm not home so can't do it myself), is it any better?

2. rawmx macrumors newbie

I just posted the same question in the ML sub-forum, if anyone says ill post it here.

3. vanc macrumors 6502

Yes. Didn't see this post. Posted a new one.

The lag is definitely gone, at least for me. I have been bothered by the lagging, especially with my old uBMP without any lagging on the same web sites.

4. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

From the GM thread in OSX forum:

Leaving the thread now as it has turned into an argument about piracy. Seems promising though.

5. vanc macrumors 6502

I've been a Mac developer since 2007. Working on all low level coding with C/C++. ObjectC was barely used as I din't need to work on GUI.

6. bitfidelity macrumors member

I'm more curious about general performance. Is 1920x1080 more usable now?

7. vanc macrumors 6502

I believe Apple optimized their iGPU driver. Even with the integrated HD4000, the UI is very smooth now.

For general usage, I've just used it for a couple of hours. So far, it's smooth as butter, without even calling the dGPU.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Damn, I need videos. I might just return the cMBP I just bought and get a Retina if the lag is really gone. I mean REALLY gone.

9. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this puts to bed.

Just need someone to demonstrate it to the community with Quartz to finally silence the issue. The only thing which worries me over this issue is that it shouldn't have been there in the first place, maybe it's me being negative but it is slight evidence that the design/hardware team have been slightly out of sync with each other during the development stages.

10. incriminati macrumors newbie

Is the lag gone(improved?) in the scaled resolutions as well?

How's streaming video?

11. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I'm hoping for some videos soon... has anyone found any yet?

12. marvin4653 macrumors regular

I'm also interested to hear if there are improvements to the lag issues in the UI on events like entering/exiting Mission Control, swiping to change spaces, entering full screen mode, things like that.

13. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Yep that's what I'm most interested in knowing.

14. RealEyes macrumors regular

this.

15. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Question: is there any lag for you Retina's on Lion? I have noticed no lag whatsoever on mine.

16. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Someone is incapable of reading the first line of the thread.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple are now using Core Animation to handle scrolling in 10.8 - this is why it no longer lags.

18. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

What? I can't read that.

19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

OP is referring to the original post, which asks that people that don't agree with OP shouldn't post in this thread. You were warned! :D

20. sedde macrumors newbie

Well lag is still there for me in 10.8.dp4, i am gonna try to get the GM today and see if that fixes anything at all, btw i made a clean install and i was using gfxcardstatus to have the nvidia active all the time. Scrolling onto facebook or pretty much everywhere is crappy, i might do a video when i get home.

21. TriHFH macrumors member

I just installed the GM build -- upgraded from Lion. I can confirm that the scroll lag is fixed (theverge.com scrolls much, much quicker and smoother now).

22. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

That's excellent news and it should stop all the people whining about it.

Roll on public release :D

23. radu.valeriu macrumors newbie

Can you confirm please if the general interface lag is also fixed? (i.e. Safari, iPhoto goinf in/out of full screen mode etc)

Thank you

24. TriHFH macrumors member

http://youtu.be/q8M8v_1kTHo

Took a 1 min video so that you can judge for yourself. Scrolling on theverge.com isn't 100% perfect, but compared to the scroll performance on Lion it is like night and day.

I never really noticed any general UI lag (full-screen safari, iphoto, etc.), so I can't really comment on that. Hopefully the video shows you whatever you need to know.

25. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I guess my fears were unfounded. It was silly to think Apple would release their best Mac to date, with such a big problem. Great to hear it's fixed, though I'm still curious how it will compare to non-Retina Mac's.

The Verge isn't smooth on my high-end gaming PC, so that's not a big problem. What's it like on Facbebook though?