Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Okay so what is the difference?
To get a full answer to that question, you will have to do some searching on Google, it is rather too much for a single post.
In short, garbage collection (GC) is firmware-based routines to erase the data on the chips so new data can be written. Each controller-firmware combination has differing routines for when and under what conditions the data is erased. Without Trim enabled, the SSD has no way of knowing which chips have been erased recently, so basically, Trim tells the SSD that it needs to do its routines on certain chips, which keeps the SSD functioning well. Of course, that is a very oversimplified explanation :D. Read some of the reviews on Anandtech, etc,
http://www.anandtech.com/tag/ssd
and you will get a lot of info on the differences between controllers and manufacturers, and how they handle GC and how Trim works to keep the SSD working at top speed and efficiency. Unless you have a very unique SSD, it is generally considered best to have Trim enabled.:cool:

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6005/apples-new-ssd-its-fast

12GB is reserved for the Recovery partition, and I also suspect it's used as a buffer zone to prevent the SSD from being completely filled.

I received this reply:

Apple SSDs have been using fuzzy math since day one. Reported on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com and others.

SSD should and Samsung advises, to over provision / allocate (set aside) 11% for spare NAND cells (like you would have space sectors only SSDs don't use sectors, they use pages).

Falls - to me - into worrying about nothing but some spilled milk. I have a dozen by now of the Samsung 840s, and retired some older Intel and Corsair SSDs. Just use 'em. Folks don't like binary system of counting anymore so x'FF' and 1024 is now meaningless except to us old fuddies.

:cool:

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA

To get a full answer to that question, you will have to do some searching on Google, it is rather too much for a single post.
In short, garbage collection (GC) is firmware-based routines to erase the data on the chips so new data can be written. Each controller-firmware combination has differing routines for when and under what conditions the data is erased. Without Trim enabled, the SSD has no way of knowing which chips have been erased recently, so basically, Trim tells the SSD that it needs to do its routines on certain chips, which keeps the SSD functioning well. Of course, that is a very oversimplified explanation :D. Read some of the reviews on Anandtech, etc,
http://www.anandtech.com/tag/ssd
and you will get a lot of info on the differences between controllers and manufacturers, and how they handle GC and how Trim works to keep the SSD working at top speed and efficiency. Unless you have a very unique SSD, it is generally considered best to have Trim enabled.:cool:

Interesting information! Thank you for the insightful posts

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Unless you have a very unique SSD, it is generally considered best to have Trim enabled.:cool:

I thought I've read on Anandtech that with recent SSDs enabling TRIM is obsolete now as the garbage collection got more sophisticated? Maybe you can clear things up. Since my Samsung 830 is not the latest model, I'll try to keep TRIM enabled, though.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I thought I've read on Anandtech that with recent SSDs enabling TRIM is obsolete now as the garbage collection got more sophisticated? Maybe you can clear things up. Since my Samsung 830 is not the latest model, I'll try to keep TRIM enabled, though.
The SSD firmware knows nothing about the filesystem (HFS+J for OS X; NTFS for Windows). That's the reason why the OS and the SSD firmware should support the TRIM command. The OS filesystem driver "knows", which parts of the filesystem contain no longer necessary (i.e. deleted) data.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The SSD firmware knows nothing about the filesystem (HFS+J for OS X; NTFS for Windows). That's the reason why the OS and the SSD firmware should support the TRIM command. The OS filesystem driver "knows", which parts of the filesystem contain no longer necessary (i.e. deleted) data.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, TRIM is a messenger that says "Hey, the file system took this data out of it's index. Please clear that space and make it available for new data".

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
My OCZ (yes, I know, I know) SSD had instructions to specifically not turn on TRIM, and in fact when I tried to use Trim Enabler anyways, it failed. So, not all drives should be running TRIM, but the vast majority of them should.

(Once prices for the Samsung 850s stabilize I'll probably go in that direction and replace the OCZ; all of my other SSDs are Samsung 830s or 840s; note that for now the OCZ is actually the best performing SSD that I have)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.