10.9 and rMBP Lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fusionjones, Jun 10, 2013.

1. fusionjones macrumors newbie

So it looks as if there is no new Retina Macbook Pro. Very disappointed.
    I bought the first gen model a few months ago but returned it out of frustration with lag. Do you think that these issues are addressed with the new OS X? And can it issues like scrolling in Chrome be fixed by an updated OS or is that primarily a hardware issue?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're asking a question that we can't answer right now. The OS is not in anyone of our hands (yet).

3. bill-p macrumors 65816

Scrolling in Chrome is a software issue (on Chrome's side). Use Safari or Webkit instead.

4. leman macrumors 604

Well, the 10.9 is incredibly smooth. The App Store resizing is still horrible but everything else its just... smooth. I never noticed any lag with ML, to be honest, but Mavericks seems smoother.

5. rikscha, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013

rikscha macrumors 6502a

The lag issue has been confirmed to me several times by Apple themselves and there is no rMBP that runs as smooth as a MBA, talking about the GUI only of course. I would like to know if I can keep my stupid rMBP or if I am forced to sell it.

6. Serban, Jun 11, 2013

Serban Suspended

this lag issue its kind of combination between mac OS and IGC

so with the next rMBP will be no lag thnx to the new MAC OS and HD5000 i suppose

7. leman, Jun 11, 2013

leman macrumors 604

Get a developer account and try it out for yourself :rolleyes: So far I am getting constant 50+ fps when continuously scrolling websites like The Verge and Facebook, and all the occasional micro-stuttering is gone.

8. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

well......want it or not, future macs will be preinstalled with the OS.....

lets just hope 10.9 will bring better performance improvements compare to 10.9 :eek:

9. rikscha macrumors 6502a

You do realise that my current dedicated GPU is like 10x faster than the intel hd5000?

This lag problem is solely a software issue. So far, people's comments seem to be promising!

----------

It is $99 right? Well, your post sounds promising though. My problem is that I do not only have micro stuttering but sometimes a massive lag when launching mission control etc. According to my local Genius bar, that is unfortunately how the rmbp performs..

10. bill-p macrumors 65816

No, it's not. Reset your SMC.

If problem persists, reset SMC again and again and again until one day, it'll be performing fast all the time.

The problem isn't how powerful your GPU or CPU is. The problem is that someone messed up temperature controls in an EFI update for the rMBP, and then the machine throttled its hardware to the lowest performance state indefinitely. In that state, your rMBP isn't running any faster than a MBA.

11. cbs20 macrumors member

Not true. The throttling problem is different than the lag. Resetting
    SMC temporarily improves the lag issue, but it normally comes back within 5 min. Scrolling in a specific application lag needs to be improved by the developer of the app. The lag I want fixed is switching between full screen apps and desktops, and accessing Mission Control.

12. rikscha macrumors 6502a

This.

I cannot count the times I resetted my rMBP. There is no discussion about this. It is confirmed by Apple. They know their machine sucks (GUI wise).

13. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Where are the people with dev accounts and rMBPs? I want to know if 10.9 helps!

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Can you please have at 15 safari screens open, including Pandora and Facebook and test it out? That's usually the killer when you more than 10 windows open, and try to go to mission control.

I have a feeling that CPU allocation thing where it only process the viewable parts of the screen will help, plus he also said scrolling is incredibly smooth..

16. bill-p macrumors 65816

The throttling problem exacerbates the lag if any.

SMC reset temporarily improves the issue because your machine isn't throttling immediately after a reset, but it takes just one heavy workload, or one lid close for the throttling to come back.

I had to reset mine 4-5 times a day for months before an update came out that fixed the problem for me.

Some apps lag inherently, I won't deny that. But if you have lag in Mission Control, desktop, and elsewhere, then something is wrong. If you don't believe me, I can ship you my rMBP so you can check it out yourself.

17. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Please ship it to me. Jk :D

18. bill-p macrumors 65816

If you pay for shipping and full price, sure.

When you ship it back to me, I'll refund you.

:D

I'm serious, though. My rMBP has a Samsung screen and a Samsung SSD, and it's completely rid of the SMC bug. I wouldn't trade it in for anything right now. Not even cash money. Unless Apple announces a Haswell rMBP that lasts 12 hours on battery, but that's pretty unlikely.

----

Edit: on a more serious note, I finally got around to playing with 10.9 DP. Not on my rMBP but on my MBA 11" late 2010. Even with the measly 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 10.9 is perfectly smooth. I haven't seen the MBA 11" work this smooth since ever. So I'm very hopeful the rMBP will also like 10.9 very much.

19. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Not only will the new rmbp have greater battery life but also a 40% faster ssd which means it will wake up instantly as the new MBA does. I usually have to wait 3-4 seconds after sleep before I can type in my account password... Wasn't like that a couple of years ago using a normal hdd

20. Jodles macrumors regular

Uhm, I have a 2008 late alubook with a normal HDD and it wakes up almost instantly?

21. Serban Suspended

22. bill-p macrumors 65816

The MBA has greater battery life because it's using chips that are much lower power than what was offered in the previous generation, and the screen sips power.

But I'm not sure the same thing will apply to rMBP because the screen is the biggest power hog, not the processor.

And you can disable deep sleep if you want instant wake. It doesn't do much to battery life either way if you open your rMBP at least once a day.

23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

10.9 has a new GPU-accelerated scrolling behavior system-wide.

They say that it should keep scrolling at 60fps in most situations even on retina displays, including Safari.

24. rikscha macrumors 6502a

25. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Which rMBP do you have?