10 Hour Battery Really?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjones521, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bjones521 macrumors regular

I have a late 09 aluminum macbook with the removable battery. That battery is 45watt and last 5hours. Probably 3-4 hours on moderate use. The 7hour battery was 58 watt. This new 10hour battery is 63.5watt. How is a battery that is only 18 additional watts going to double in performance my battery now?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's "up to 10 hours." They must have also made various system optimizations to make the claim.

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

It's all a marketing gimmick I'm afraid. To achieve 10 hours of battery life you have to have your screen on the dimmest setting, Wifi + Bluetooth turned off, and basically sitting idle doing nothing. Realistically you might gain another hour of battery life when doing your normal day-to-day tasks compared to the previous MacBook Pro's. :)

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

It's 10 hours by just letting it sit unused till the battery dies.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Regardless of it's claim, it still should be an improvement over the previous model even if it's just an hour improvement if they can claim more battery than the old model.

6. mansanas macrumors regular

wth guys, ofcourse its not really 10 hours in the real world, but its still better than "7 or 8 hours" so this is still a plus. i dont understand all the hate..

7. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

i sincerely doubt the battery is any different than the previous versions, so I'm curious where the extra hour is coming from?

8. radiocity25 macrumors member

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Yeah I guess I really don't care what they say as long as it is proportionally longer. My 13in MBP gets great battery life, anything longer would be amazing. The battery on the new ones are 10% bigger and if they did some system optimizations (I'm guessing the GPU uses less power and the CPU is running at a lower voltage) I could possibly see a 40% increase but realistically I would think it would only be about 25% but that is still awesome.

10. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Higher energy density, I guess? As the OP has pointed out, the previous battery had 58W, the new one 63.5W. If you buy rechargeable batteries you'll find that they also differ in energy density, so I'm guessing the same applies here.

Other power savings could have been achieved in the GPU and other chips used in the system. They'll always find new ways to tune the power management of their computers from iteration to iteration.

Fabian

11. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Really?

From Apple: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/features.html

12. Groat macrumors member

Also, the higher battery capacity is gotten from a higher watt-hour-battery. It's now a 63.5 watt-hour but not sure what it used to be. (57 I think?)

13. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I agree. What's with all the hate? I'm going to wait to see what the reviews say about the 10 hour battery life.

That's the reason i bought an ipad. If apple can give me about 7 hours of battery life out of this thing in general use. That's like netbook territory but with a better computer. Why would I want a netbook over this? I would just sell my old macbook and use the money to pay for this. And the other question would be...why do I need an ipad?

The new macbooks look dreamy!!! LOL. Hope the battery life claims hold up.

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Just know it's gonna be a tenth of that if you use Flash.

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Indeed. I love what Flash does to my CPU utilization, but only in the winter. ;)

16. Quetsche macrumors member

And that's only for the first 10 cycles or so...

editing text, oh my!

17. oldweirdharold macrumors newbie

more battery questions

Battery life matters to me, perhaps as much as speed and resolution, 'tho I am tempted by these shiny objects...

To this end, do the faster CPUs, 7200 drive and higher resolution screens use more battery power? If I REALLY want long life, is the base 15" the best choice (of the 15")?

Informed answers appreciated.

18. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have two batteries for my 2008 Alu MacBook, so I have 90Wh. That still beats the new one by a mile, since I can get close to eight hours with both batteries. :)

I guess I would have to move up to the 15 to get that additional resolution I want but I'm not sure I can handle such a gigantic lappy. :(

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, you never know...maybe Apple decided to change things up. After all, didn't the iPad claim 10 hours on video and reviewers got 12 hours?

20. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Pages is an energy efficient app (as opposed to iTunes). I suppose if you are a student editing text is very important.

21. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

It really annoys me that Jobs is claiming that they are foregoing better CPU and/or graphics and/or HDD upgrades in the 13" Pros and are claiming battery life as their excuse.

I'm sure I'm not in the popular group here, but I really don't care about having more than 5 hours of battery unless I'm on a plane or something (at which point I could, ya know... plug it in).

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Assuming that the test methodology is the same, longer battery life is good.

Not a huge update, but nice none the less.

23. slpymnky macrumors newbie

FWIW I just got the new MBP 15" and am on it right now. My battery is at 3:44 at 93%. Pretty disappointing. Hopefully it will get better after the first cycle maybe?

24. Bibble macrumors member

I agree that it's not a good idea to take marketer's words on battery length. On the other hand, given that all salesmen are snivelling weasels, it does give you a basis for comparison.

A 10-hour battery is batter than the (previous) 6-7 hour battery. The big question is how much of a difference the extra bits make. A 10-hour battery that is cut to 5 when you actually try something useful (possible, if they have things ramped up by default), is worse than a 7-hour battery that, by clever tech tricks only goes down to 6 hours in proper use.

That's why I tend to wait until the review come out and use their "realistic" battery life tests to give the added dimension.

e.g. The iPad has a claimed 10-hour battery. Many of the reviews that I've read have said that actual use doesn't really cut much off that. Which means that it's lowest power draw is not far off it's highest power draw.

25. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Definately.

Most reviews give 11 to 12 hours battery life with moderate to high use.