10 Months 0% back at the Apple UK Website

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kebabselector, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

As title, until early January enjoy 10 months 0% credit on purchases over £449

I'm tempted, but I'll wait will my current interest free purchase has finished.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/finance/spread_the_cost

For some reason they have a calculator on the site. Not entirely sure why, maybe Maths is getting worse in the UK?

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Unfortunately discriminates against small countries. Switzerland, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, etc, etc are not part of this - A couldn't be bothered to arrange finance for these (cash pile anyone ?). Stopped me buying a 2100 value rMBP - now I'll wait till June 2014 and then I might just buy something else (2014 MBA?) instead.

3. And macrumors 6502

And

To be fair the calculator also calculates other years at 14.9% APR, these are a bit harder to mentally juggle!

Pretty good deal given the nMP is on its way.

4. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I would recommend to save rather than buy on credit. You will have more flexibility and stay out of debt.

5. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Your choice, not mine. I have the money but rather keep it on deposit and take the 0%. Did that last year when I bought a rMBP, this year I'm getting an iPad Air.

6. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Sure, at least at 0% it wont cost you anything extra.

7. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

This makes no sense. If you "have the money" you would just buy the damn thing and wouldn't even waste your time thinking about 0% percent. Just use your debt card.

8. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

I guess you're not an economist. Money that stays in my account earns (a meager) interest, 0% costs me nothing.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I guess I'm not. I'm just someone who pays cash for everything and has no debt with a ton of money in the bank. But I wouldn't consider myself an economist no.

10. mizzouxc macrumors member

There are some of us who can make money from that money. For instance, in 10 months on a $5k investment I make at minimum $250, but typically more like $500. However investing is my hobby so YMMV. Had someone like me spent that money outright, I wouldn't have the extra earnings. Same things with cars. I could buy a car outright presently, but I chose to finance because the rate is .75%. I make my payments, but earn way more than .75% on the 36k invested.

That being said, these lenders hope you slip up, can't afford a payment one month, then slap you with 30% APR retroactive financing.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Lol investing is your hobby and not your profession cause your not good at it. And I'm not even trying to be negative but your way of thinking just proves my point.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Sounds quite insulting.

If you are so good at it, do you think with a capital of $5,000 you would be able to get so much profit out of it that you can make a living off investing?

13. abz1981 macrumors 65816

This is good advice but I guess not everyone will want to follow it. End of the day it's whatever the OP does.

14. mizzouxc macrumors member

You've just proven to the world how incredibly ignorant you are. In addition, please learn the difference between "your" and "you're".

I'd say ~10% realized cash annual return is great given interest account returns that are measured in tenths of a percent.

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

The world? Lol this is a small forum a far cry from the "world".

16. JHBrown macrumors member

I will never understand the folks who are so against using credit cards. I use my credit cards for everything even though I have thousands in my bank account. My Platinum American Express gets the most usage, while piling on the points for every dollar spent. I bought my maxed out iMac with my Chase Sapphire because it had 0% interest for 12 months while giving me 25000 bonus points in rewards. Last year I was able to purchase 3 airline tickets at no charge to me because of my points. People have this old school mentality that credit is bad. Play the credit game and reap the rewards!

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What is this I don't even.

Appreciable assets are worth more in hand. What about that simple statement do you not understand?

It's a plainly simple fact: money makes money (assets, to be more correct). The entire world runs on debt and yet everyone seems to be giving away their assets instead.

The only people who can't/shouldn't do that are people who can't manage their money.

So, to the guy I just quoted: which bucket do you fall into?

18. amoda macrumors 6502a

Credit is a great tool if used correctly, but sadly it's often abused. Until the individual is aware of the risks and capable of managing it properly, it's best to avoid credit. As I'm sure you're aware, a mistake can become very costly, very fast.

The reality is who do you think this sort of enticement is targeting?
    1. Joe who has $1000 cash, and wants a $1000 machine?
    2. Bob who has $300 cash, but wants a $1000 machine?