10 Problems With My Macbook. How Many Can You Answer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tennismanclay, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

So lately i have been having problems with my macbook. I will try to give as much detail as possible.

1. Since upgrading to 10.5.2 my sound no longer works, not even external speakers. When i hit the volume up or down button i get the normal bezel but with a no sound thing. See pic attachment.

2. Since upgrading to 10.5.2 time machine now fails every backup.

3. My widgets do not work. Have no idea when or how but when i click on one it makes a ding and kicks me out of dashboard.

4. My apple remote works, but it wont work with the program iAlertU. It has worked before but it just doesn't now.

5. Simple apps like iTunes and Mail take at least 7 seconds to open, 2 jumps in the dock but a long wait after that. Adium took 12 seconds to open. When i first upgraded to Leopard everything took one bounce in the dock and was open.

6. My whole computer seems slower, much slower than normal. I get the spinning beach ball more now than ever. Its like i only have 256mb of ram.

7. Stuff has been randomly deleting off my computer, weird huh? I had a movie just disappear last week. The week or so before time machine wasn't in my dock or applications folder, i ironically had to open up my time machine drive and manually go back in time to get time machine back. Numerous other things have also deleted, i've ACTUALLY been using time machine the last few weeks if you know what i mean.

8. My computer takes 42 seconds to get to the login window on a restart and 50 seconds to get to the login window from a shutdown. I dont know if this is slow, normal, or really slow. It also makes 1 and a half apple chimes when my computer boots up, kinda like hmmmmm, hm. Cant really explain but yeah.

9. After i login from the login window my desktop appears, with no icons or the menu bar, just the dock and a spinning beach ball. When i force quit it says finder not responding. It stays like this for approx. 53 seconds and then everything is fine.

10. WE just changed from the old, old apple base station to an airport express, (New base station on the way). The internet does go quicker now, but i can no longer print or "see" my printer. I have tried everything. When i need to print something i have to go change to the old base station, which is quite a hassle.

If you have any input or questions at all please feel free to comment.

EDIT: Widgets now working, first time in a few months. No idea what i did.

Thanx in advance
    -Clay

Attached Files:

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Make a appointment with your local apple store.
    do you have applecare?
    That really sucks that you have those problems...

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

4. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I had the same sound problem on my Powerbook. When I opened the volume menu extra, the slider appears grey and I couldn't use it. I just rebooted the Mac and it worked again. But sometimes the problem re-occurs.

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

go see an apple spec. pronto.

before you start loosing big stuff...its sounds like as it goes on more and more problems are appearing. sounds like a bad hard drive.

GENIUS bar ASAP

6. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Local apple store is 3+ hours away. Might still go though
    I couldn't justify paying 250 more dollars on a macbook for apple care, i could barely afford the computer in the first place. Not sure it was the right decision.

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I have a feeling that Erase & Install may be a better option. Of course that is after a manual backup has been performed.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You might want to join the rest of us pre-SR Macbook users with Tiger. There's no need to suffer like this because Apple hasn't fixed the OS. Pop in your restore disks, and make a true upgrade!

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I am on a pre SR MacBook, and have never had a moment's problem with leopard. Those with problems are, as usual, just a vocal minority. There is no reason to downgrade to tiger.

That you have that many problems tells me that there is something more fundamentally wrong. First step is to create a new user account. Next would be running the hardware test cd. Then an archive and install, and lastly a trip to you local apple store for hardware repair.

A couple of bugs could be with apps or the update, but that many means something more is going on. Good luck with it man.

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Yea i see what you mean...you definitly made the right choice. I would do as others said above and do a "archive and install". If that doesn't work i would make a trip to the local apple store.

11. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

1st try reinstalling the update care of the installer on Apple's website.

2nd try repairing permissions.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Just know that no matter how many problems you experience, things are worse with Windows VISTA!

13. false macrumors newbie

Really? I'm surprised at how many bugs are reported with OSX upgrades considering such a limited amount of hardware specs they have to support.

14. alljunks macrumors regular

i am the lucky one...my system hangs after the update.. but after force boot, everything seems to be fine...but it does run slower!!!

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

We are paying more dollar per bug because these are high quality bugs!

16. Towhead macrumors regular

Dunno man, I updated my SR 2.2 Macbook Crucial 4GB newly installed 7k200 hitachi and it's VERY VERY HAPPY!!! Just did a full time machine backup onto the original 120GB in the hitachi enclosure, without a hitch. My photobooth now runs faster (I swear, but I could be wrong). :D

17. Everonn macrumors newbie

I gotta say... I'm planning on buying my first (real) Apple computer here in the very near future, and seeing people having these kinds or problems with Leopard isn't terribly... comforting.

- Chris

18. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

19. Azmordean macrumors 6502

First thing's first - BACK UP ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!

Second - do the newer macs still come with Apple diagnostics (the one you can boot into from the CD)? If so, run that. I had many problems similar to yours before - stuff disappearing for no apparent reason, stuff getting corrupted, etc. I ran Apple Diagnostics, and it turned out one of my RAM sticks had gone bad, and it was causing files to become corrupted and so forth.

Third - If it is your RAM that is bad, it should be easy to replace. Once that is done, you WILL need to do an Erase and Reinstall, so all the corrupted files are gotten rid of.

20. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

try finding a cheaper applecare on eBay, then after you get it and activate it, get the thing repaired with the applecare

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It could just be slowdown from the HD being too fragmented, try and erase and install first. Though if your sound is broken you need a new logic board.

22. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Dont doubt the decision you made. going apple was the right choice. you are just one of the un lucky people who got that bad piece of cake. Just remember that bad cake is still cake, and cake is good!:D

just be patient. and try what we suggest on here.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Just remember that you're reading a forum where people post their problems. The hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people without trouble don't tend to post "everything's running just fine" on troubleshooting bulletin boards.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Applecare is must have bare none! Umm, you could barely afford the computer in the first place?? Uh Yeah Okay...You didn't have to buy the black model, you could have bought the white one with the same specs and used the difference on Applecare.
    At any rate someone mentioned Archive and Install and that's the best option and most likely will fix your issue as your issue is only software related, your System Folder just needs replacing.

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There really aren't many bugs with OS X's upgrades the issues generally are the fault of the user's 3rd party software and/or haxies installed. Haxies get broken with updates and cause issues with OS upgrades. Many people refuse to do a full erase and install on major OS upgrades which cause problems as well.
    Just because Windows can be installed on many different machines doesn't mean anything. For the most part all the PC manufacturers' computers still run "Windows" so if anything they may have special drivers for their trackpads or fingerprint readers that may issues, Sony is the biggest culprit of this. Any other issues is usually the fault of Windows itself.
    I did full erase and install on my iMac 24" from Tiger to Leopard and hardly any issues, the only issue was my bluetooth dropped on my Mighty Mouse.
    The 10.5.2 update has corrected this and everything runs perfect. Never had wireless issues.