$100 Back To School Card...What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikeyangelo58, Sep 10, 2011.

1. mikeyangelo58 macrumors member

The $100 Back To School Card is limited to the App Store, iTunes, & iBookstore.

It's not a gift card in the traditional sense.
    You can't use it in an Apple store or Online to purchase physical products.
    If I interpret this correctly it's restricted to digital media only.
    Unfortunately.:mad:

Everyone is aware by now that the BTS promotion ends on the 20th.

I'll be getting my $100 card soon.
    I want some essential apps useful for a brand new iMac.

So give me your list of essential apps.:eek:
    What would you want on your to put on new iMac first?

To the many who have already received their $100 credit.:cool:
    What did you put the $100 towards?

And to those who want to pretend they had $100 credit.:D
    What would you put the $100 towards?

Thanks

:apple:

2. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

AutoCAD LT

Just kidding. But seriously, it depends on how you want to use your computer.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd probably spend it all on music. I don't feel like I need any apps for my Mac or iPhone (at least paid apps) and I don't read books on my phone ... so music.

4. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

5. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

I bought MemoryFreer (good little util) but if parallels 7 student/upgrade was on there then i'd get that almost instantly

I think iOS apps are better things to purchase

6. lyunmac macrumors member

You should probably buy music with it. My cousin and I have the card too and don't know what to do with it. The movies are overpriced to buy, the games aren't worth it I think, and I have a Kindle so I don't bother with iBooks. I also don't plan on buying an iOS device so I can't spend it on apps. Just buy the music and iWorks for school even though Open Office is a free office suite too. I don't know if you bought the iMac yet but I read that Best Buy is matching Apple's $100 gift card with their own gift card for any store purchase, seems like a better offer.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

In what situations are you using MemoryFreer? I can see how much RAM I have at any given moment from the Menubar, but unless it goes under 800 I the machine runs fast; when do you use it?

----------

Good one.

I bought applications that helped with productivity, seeing that I'm in college

Fantastical, a good Timer application, ah... Windowblinds (I think is the name) better snap tool, better touch tool (free for SL)... the rest slipped my mind.

But just surf the store and google; you'll find a ton of great applications.

For games, Braid is a must have at 10 bucks. There are a ton of other great games on there as well.

8. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Since I like cash, I'd put it on eBay. People are buying them for $90-$100 (even saw a couple of cases over $100).

But if you had to use it, maybe Aperture or iWork suite. Plus some other utilities I guess.

9. psykick5 macrumors 6502

10. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I don't download too many paid apps, but here's a cheap one that I use all the time. BetterSnapTool ($1.99) lets you just 'snap' windows into spaces around your screen by automatically resizing them depending on where you place them. It's great for when you want to have windows side side by side, or windows in all four corners.

11. mountains macrumors regular

12. Athonline macrumors member

I will suggest you get:
    Pages (I prefer it than MS Word)
    MemoryFreer is a must-get (costs 1 dollar but it is great)
    CodeBox (if you are doing any Programming)
    Tagalicious (for organising your iTunes library. A MUST!)
    Trine / Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are two great games

Now if you are into programming BBEdit and Coda are some programs. IF you are into photography Aperture is a must.

You need to tell us what you are into! Else I can suggest you some nice games and TV series to get!

13. quickmac macrumors 6502

What happened to the old deal they ran for years at back to school time...

Buy a Mac, Get an iPod Nano (and later Get an iPod Touch)

Combined with the student discount it was a great deal. And one could sell the free iPod to someone and count that money as towards the purchase price of a new Mac.

I remember when I got my latest Macbook Pro a mid-2009 model. It was, and probably the new one still is, $2199. I got $200 off with student discount, sold my black Macbook (2006) to a colleague at a discount with latest OS and more RAM for $400, and sold the free iPod touch to a friend for like $150.

So basically paid $1450 for a new Macbook Pro. I could have sold the iPod Touch for like $200-220 online and saved even more. AND I got a discounted printer with the student special. It was something like $100 off select printers. They still have that printer sale which is good.

$100 gift card for digital purchases is a nice gesture but hell Microsoft is giving away free XBoxes with the purchase of certain Windows PCs. It was a bad time for Apple to drop the free iPod offer. I'd rather have a "take half off" purchase of an iPad or free printer.

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Apple is still doing the free printer - up to $100 via electronic rebate. It's not just a student deal - good for anyone and includes refurbished models.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's the thing though, it's a printer. It's like selling a phone or something; sell the printer cheap but gouge for the ink.

Like Gillette with their razors and the blades.