100% cpu usage on macbook pro; consequences?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mackristoffer, Nov 20, 2009.

1. mackristoffer macrumors newbie

Hi

I am new to mac, and I have a macbook pro 15" 2009 model.
    I am currently running a program (Mprime) that uses all the spare cpu on the mac. So that I am always running on 100%.

[​IMG]

I only do this when I am connected to electricity.

Do this extensive usage of CPU shorten the lifespan/quailty of the Mac/Fan/Battery?

Thanks in advance.:)

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

just a silly question im sure, but why!?!

why would you run a program that keeps your cpu at 100%,

small answer, yes it will shorten the MBP lifespan, and it will slow everything down, heat is bad, thats why computers come with fans, and even water based cooling, a cold computer wil always last longer and run faster then a portable room heater ;)

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

Are you actually using Mprime for what it is designed to do, or just to use up your CPU? If the latter, STOP IMMEDIATELY! There's no need to put that amount of stress on your MacBook for no reason.

4. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If you only run it when connected to electricity, it will not affect the battery. It should not shorten the life of the processor, since the computer should be designed to keep the temperature within spec at all times. Some will argue that it will get too hot anyway. For physical things like fans, the more they run the faster they will wear out. They will probably be fine, but you never know.

5. mackristoffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers.

Bennieboy©: It would be a terrible waste to let all that data-crunching power go to waste:) I donate it to search for Prime numbers via the GIMPS project. I get assigned to test a large number via their servers, it takes about a month 24/7 to test a number. check out www.mersenne.org

Cboss: Yes, I think so, now I am Trial factoring M62245723. I will be done 12th of December:) I do not torture my beloved mac without reason.

rowsdower: I hope you are correct. The probability of the fan breaking down is what is most uncertain. Good to know that the battery will be unaffected. I tried to run a equal program on my old Acer T5450 @ 1.66GHz. The fans screamed so hard that it became troublesome. The Mac is so silent anyways that I do not notice.

Thank you for your quick reply. You have helped me greatly:)

6. rowsdower macrumors 6502

On the plus side, if a fan broke it would be a very cheap repair.

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Only assuming the lack of fan didn't cause the CPU and motherboard to fry, which is quite the assumption.

8. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Modern Intel processors should shut down automatically if they overheat (like in this video). Of course, you might worry that it won't happen in time.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's built to do that kind of thing. The battery won't be affected at all. The fan will obviously suffer some wear. I'd just make sure that the MacBook doesn't get too hot. Don't leave it lying on the carpet, or in a hot place with no circulation.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Location Norway: Packing the MacBook in snow to keep it cool is _not_ recommended. :D

11. mackristoffer thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the iStat application to monitor the CPU temperature.

It usually stays between 45-55 degrees Celsius, when i start up mprime, and 100% of the cpu is active, it rockets up to 95+ degrees in 60 seconds.

[​IMG]

That seems like an awful lot. It has been mentioned that the macbook pro was build for, and should be able to sustain 100% workload. I am using it on a flat table, the room temperature is 20 degrees Celsius.

If the readings i correct; Can a Macbook pro sustain 98 degrees Celsius over time?

Good to hear that the intel processor should shut down if the fan goes away, and that fan repair is cheap:)

Edit: I do not plan on packing the mac in snow, the idea has struck me thought.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Kind of. They're not designed for sustained 100% load, but should function more or less ok unless a manufacturing defect causes the processor or some other component to melt.

Basically you're risking your machine doing what you're doing. No Apple portable has the cooling system needed to do that "safely."

13. rowsdower macrumors 6502

They are designed for 100% load in the sense that if you broke the machine by running it at 100% for extended periods of time, it would be covered under warranty.

I think this is what people really worry about, and the concern is probably justified. I'm sure they test the machines at 100% for some period of time, but we don't know for how long or what failure rate they consider acceptable. Ideally they would design the system so that all of the components remain well within their spec ranges at all times (e.g. when the processor is at 100%, it only gets up to 90% of its max spec temperature). That may not happen, and it may be the case that some component fails after a long period at 90% of its spec, even though it shouldn't.

I personally don't run my MBP at 100% at all times. It does run at 100% for hours at a time occasionally, and I don't worry about it. There is always a risk. And of course, if it breaks you never know if it was because you ran it so hard or if it would have broken anyway.