Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quantumphysics

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I understand that it's a faster processor but that's quite a dip in standby life! no?

4S
Talk time:
Up to 8 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)

Standby time:
Up to 200 hours

Talk time:
Up to 7 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)

Standby time:
Up to 300 hours

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
This is why I believe they didn't go with a 4in screen with 4G. Sealed battery and apple has always been proud of the batt. It's a hurdle I don't think they've figured out yet.

reck

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
This is why I believe they didn't go with a 4in screen with 4G. Sealed battery and apple has always been proud of the batt. It's a hurdle I don't think they've figured out yet.

A 4in inch screen would give them more room to fit an even bigger battery and give us more battery time.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I never judge a phone by its standby time, since your phone is almost never in standby. I'd rather have the measure of higher talk time and actual activity rather than seeing the standby time.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
OMG, between that and the 4S is heavier, I'm going Android. :rolleyes:

j4bles

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Does it receive emails or any other notifications while it's sitting there? If the answer is yes, then it's not in standby.

Wow, really? You're really going to argue this? So you're phone is in "anticipation" mode then, they should add that line item :rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
the F is this? Mine is sitting on my desk right now....standing by. And does so for most of my 8 hour shift at work.

an 8 hour shift isn't anywhere near 200 or 300 hours. I really don't think the drop in standby time is something most people would notice.

j4bles

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
an 8 hour shift isn't anywhere near 200 or 300 hours. I really don't think the drop in standby time is something most people would notice.

I realize that. DeusInvictus7 is stating that our phones never go into a standby mode.

ADAADW

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
Im kind of worried about this because battery life is very important to me. Coming from a blackberry with an incredible battery life im concerned the iphone 4s will really lack in this department. I realize blackberry and iphone are 2 different things but right now i have to charge my blackberry once a week if that. As you said before a 1/3 dip in standby is pretty big and i would want standby to increase/stay the same over going down any day.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I charge my iPhone 4 every day and sometimes a couple times too because I use it a lot. I'm guessing the drop in standby time isn't going to matter to me. Or will it?

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
I don't understand this stat... what exactly is the 4s doing on standby that the 4 isn't? Especially if they are both running ios 5? What is the difference?

Perhaps the 4s battery is actually smaller than the 4, but the increased efficiency of the A5 processor allows it to get away with the smaller battery during active use?

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
200 hours or 300, that is still a very long time. If you take, say, 8 hours of standby in a workday (as quoted above), thats 2.6% of 300 hours, or 4% of 200 hours. So the difference between the iPhone 4 and the 4S is 1.4% battery life. Don't worry about it.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
I don't understand this stat... what exactly is the 4s doing on standby that the 4 isn't? Especially if they are both running ios 5? What is the difference?

Perhaps the 4s battery is actually smaller than the 4, but the increased efficiency of the A5 processor allows it to get away with the smaller battery during active use?

The difference is probably iCloud. The 300h standby time was mesured with iOS 4 without iCloud. iCloud uses alot of background processing even when iPhone is not being used.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I don't get how talk-time can go up and standby can go down... Something tells me this will mean that during "normal usage" (i.e. games, web browsing, etc), this thing won't last as long...

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
It's pretty funny that people are defending a decrease in battery life period, let alone for the same exact phone. Just another reason why this is an awful upgrade.

antonchigurh

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
The decrease could also have something to do with Siri and the fact that it will need to run in the background constantly.

Huliodude

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seriously, how is reduced standby time an upgrade? After delaying the release of the new iPhone, the 4S is disappointing.

I'd have gladly ponied up the money for that tapered design larger screen iPhone 5 that was rumored.

Now that Jobs is gone I can see Apple turning into just another company. Today's iPhone was just the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.