Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
So can you guys tell me if I'm just full of bologna or should I go return this at th apple store? I was watching a movie when all of a sudden the screen on the left side in landscape orientation and to the right of the FaceTime camera, a green spot or patch appeared. I had to look at a black background to see. I could see the pixels but I don't think you can see it at an apple store. So I took out my jewelry loupe and took a video of it.

Do you think this screen is defective? I don't want to return it if there was ONE or a few stuck pixels. But this isn't a few and you can clearly see a huge blob to the right of the FaceTime camera.

Here is the HD video I took. Sorry for the noise but the camera isn't good in 0lux lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryDAsX3v4I&fmt=37

With the loupe over the stuck pixel region you can see the green pixels light up when all the other pixels remain dark. :(:(:(

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
ITs hard to see because the pixels are so dense but it clearly needs a replacement. I'm sure they will no question.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do you think this screen is defective?

Really? Do you really have to ask this? You spent over 2 minutes with a loupe over the affected area and you're still asking? Take it back. It takes 10 seconds to see there is an issue and another 5 to decide that you need to take it back.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
That's really strange, not seen one like that before. I took mine back in a heartbeat for having 2 clusters of stuck red pixels in the centre of the scree, it was swapped out, no questions. You will have no issues.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
:apple: customer service is #1. I do not ever regret owning an apple product. I brought it to the store. Had an appt with a genius who took it back to look at it in the dark. Came back with a new retail unit. Not only was the screen gorgeously near flawless, I no longer have any yellow issues near the top 1/3rd of the screen in portrait orientation!!

I am so pleased with :apple: I purchased AppleCare+.

I cannot find one reason to not shop with apple. They are so incredible and forgiving when you need service for your devices!

My model is week 8. My defective model was week 11 which also had the yellowing issue.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
:apple: customer service is #1. I do not ever regret owning an apple product. I brought it to the store. Had an appt with a genius who took it back to look at it in the dark. Came back with a new retail unit. Not only was the screen gorgeously near flawless, I no longer have any yellow issues near the top 1/3rd of the screen in portrait orientation!!

I am so pleased with :apple: I purchased AppleCare+.

I cannot find one reason to not shop with apple. They are so incredible and forgiving when you need service for your devices!

My model is week 8. My defective model was week 11 which also had the yellowing issue.
Apple customer care is the best in the world, but you were well worthy of a new unit. Your first iPad was horrible. I think it's the worst one I have seen. Glad you are all sorted out now mate, enjoy!

Fireguyy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2009
I just checked my screen and almost have the exact same patch of stuck green pixels, but mine are just above the home button, damn!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I just checked my screen and almost have the exact same patch of stuck green pixels, but mine are just above the home button, damn!

They will allow you to return it - but I shot a video just in case anyone didn't "see" it - and hell no, at the apple retail stores it's so bright there, you can't see jack.

The quality of these screens are just crap. But my defective model was week 11 manufacturing date and the one new retail box unit I got is week 8 and there is NO yellow tinting like the week 11 model and no stuck/dead pixels.

I only had my week 11 for 4 days. I also tried the towel, the max brightness tricks without making one single difference in getting rid of the yellow. Maybe those tricks were the cause of these stuck pixels!!!

model replaced was 64GB AT&T LTE

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
So can you guys tell me if I'm just full of bologna or should I go return this at th apple store? I was watching a movie when all of a sudden the screen on the left side in landscape orientation and to the right of the FaceTime camera, a green spot or patch appeared. I had to look at a black background to see. I could see the pixels but I don't think you can see it at an apple store. So I took out my jewelry loupe and took a video of it.

Do you think this screen is defective? I don't want to return it if there was ONE or a few stuck pixels. But this isn't a few and you can clearly see a huge blob to the right of the FaceTime camera.

Here is the HD video I took. Sorry for the noise but the camera isn't good in 0lux lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryDAsX3v4I&fmt=37

With the loupe over the stuck pixel region you can see the green pixels light up when all the other pixels remain dark. :(:(:(
Why are you even asking strangers of this question? Do you need our approval?

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Did u check to see it was week 11, I'm asking because it could actually be week 1 with the second 1 digit part of the rest of your S/N! That would actually make more sense as the more recent production giving them time to iron out glitches!

They will allow you to return it - but I shot a video just in case anyone didn't "see" it - and hell no, at the apple retail stores it's so bright there, you can't see jack.

The quality of these screens are just crap. But my defective model was week 11 manufacturing date and the one new retail box unit I got is week 8 and there is NO yellow tinting like the week 11 model and no stuck/dead pixels.

I only had my week 11 for 4 days. I also tried the towel, the max brightness tricks without making one single difference in getting rid of the yellow. Maybe those tricks were the cause of these stuck pixels!!!

model replaced was 64GB AT&T LTE

dpierre

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Somewhere is the US
Really? Do you really have to ask this? You spent over 2 minutes with a loupe over the affected area and you're still asking? Take it back. It takes 10 seconds to see there is an issue and another 5 to decide that you need to take it back.

hahaha..I swear threads here should have to be approved before posting. I have nothing against people needing help or just bouncing around ideas, but some of these posts are ridiculous. "Should I take back my defective ipad?" "Do I need GPS?" "Should I get the white model?" geez...

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
How does one even know they have stuck pixels?

Do you need to look at your screen in a totally dark room like the video, or is it apparent in every day use?

Dane9

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
LOOL ridiculous!!!!!!

Man enjoy your ipad and don't search for problems, i didn't check pixels in mine, i didn't check light bleed ... NOTHING

I love my ipad, you guys are obsessed to get problems in ipad ffs

JUST ENJOY IT, the only main problem is the yellow

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
LOOL ridiculous!!!!!!

Man enjoy your ipad and don't search for problems, i didn't check pixels in mine, i didn't check light bleed ... NOTHING

I love my ipad, you guys are obsessed to get problems in ipad ffs

JUST ENJOY IT, the only main problem is the yellow

Did you see the video first of all? He didn't have 1 stuck pixel, he has dozens and dozens of them, all around the same spot.

Hard to ignore.

Dane9

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Did you see the video first of all? He didn't have 1 stuck pixel, he has dozens and dozens of them, all around the same spot.

Hard to ignore.

Ok this case is special but they are noticiable in normal use? Because this guy used a magnifying glass to spot dead pixel lol

Fireguyy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2009
Ok this case is special but they are noticiable in normal use? Because this guy used a magnifying glass to spot dead pixel lol

When they are all in a group like that it is fairly noticable if you are viewing something dark. I have a black background and it's all I see when I'm in a dark setting.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Of course it's noticeable... Didn't you notice the greenish tint in that area? That was due to all those stuck pixels.

----------

Apple already swapped the device, it's not a big deal.

Yes I know that. I did read the thread after all.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Hah I found this video impressive. I have a stuck pixel on my TV I can see from normal viewing distance. Gotta pull out the magnifying glass on an iPad 3.

But yes I would have returned it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.