Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
OP, I still think the '100 item' issue is a red herring in living minimally. Don't panics' 'functional' definition doesn't work in terms of defining an item because it just depends on the level you want to define 'function' at; a computer has the function of enabling me to send an email, a keyboard has the function of enabling me to type, the 'A' key has the function of enabling me to type 'A' on the screen, the key itself has the function of producing one letter A, the spring has the function of returning the key for the next keypress, etc. So reductionism means the definition of 'item' is still not solved, you can scale down (or indeed up) and define a function at a different level of abstraction. You still have the problem of defining an item, but have simply shifted it to a different language in terms of 'function'.

But I don't think you need to reach an 'item' target to live minimally. I would think it would be better for you to explain what you are aiming to achieve and take it from there, rather than reaching an artificial item target with a bunch of ad hoc exceptions. Yes, 10 identical charging cables seems too many! Have you written a list of things you wish to keep in your minimal lifestyle?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
OP, I still think the '100 item' issue is a red herring in living minimally. Don't panics' 'functional' definition doesn't work in terms of defining an item because it just depends on the level you want to define 'function' at; a computer has the function of enabling me to send an email, a keyboard has the function of enabling me to type, the 'A' key has the function of enabling me to type 'A' on the screen, the key itself has the function of producing one letter A, the spring has the function of returning the key for the next keypress, etc. So reductionism means the definition of 'item' is still not solved, you can scale down (or indeed up) and define a function at a different level of abstraction. You still have the problem of defining an item, but have simply shifted it to a different language in terms of 'function'.

But I don't think you need to reach an 'item' target to live minimally. I would think it would be better for you to explain what you are aiming to achieve and take it from there, rather than reaching an artificial item target with a bunch of ad hoc exceptions. Yes, 10 identical charging cables seems too many! Have you written a list of things you wish to keep in your minimal lifestyle?

I have started logging all my possessions and will proceed from there. Right now I look at my place and say I wish I didn't have anything on this shelf and try and get it done.

I know I can certainly reduce the number cables I have as well as the number of jackets (10) and bags(7) I own. I am also adding importance degree to the item. My computer, speakers and backups (5 drives) aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Since looking into reducing my possessions I have gone trough all my statements and bills. My modest book collection. Sold my iPad got rid of my original xbox.

I want to be objective in my count and will try to count every single items I own. One exception I have right now is with my office supplies. I have envelopes pens. and stamps and batteries which I have counted as four items but I have more.

Next on the list
  • Get rid of my Pokemon cards
  • Get rid of my Yugioh cards
  • get rid of an airport extreme.
  • ethernet cables
  • CD’s done
Some of my things dont even get to be on the list before I get rid of them. I have counted 227 items some items are guesses some things I havent even looked at. I hope to be under 500 once I count everything.

Some of my goals include
  • going paperless.
    Over the next few months as the next letters arrive I will make sure to find the paperless option. I am almost there.
  • Getting rid of all physical media. (exception on specific books)
  • being able to pack all of my cloths in one suitcase. Have my suits in appropriate "housse". and One backpack for the rest of my things.
  • Use credit less save more. I am now debt free and want to keep it that way.
  • Reduce the number of digital media I have. I am not competing for the largest itunes library anymore.

Last edited:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Any items that you consider absolutely essential or non essential?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I am relatively debt-free too, just the mortgage to go. I have had to be fairly strict with myself too, but it has been worth it. The other important thing has been to save for things in advance, like house insurance, car insurance, buying a new computer, new car, etc. Once you work out the things you will need to buy over the next 4-5 years and stagger the cost over each month, it is eye-opening to realise how much less 'spare' cash you have. Cut your cloth accordingly and it makes a bit difference. I realise however we are straying away from the initial direction of conversation, minimal living, but I think there are correlations between the two lifestyles. Minimalism is the aim of one approach and a direct consequence of the other.

Enjoyed re reading this. I'm curious if you are trying to pay off your mortgage early?

racheltech

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Did you make any progress in reducing other items?

A lot of clothes, yes, and I got rid of a ton of music, but books and movies I have a hard time parting with. I think that to just sell all of your things is very challenging, and should be a slow process, especially if you have an in-home-library like I do. Can't just dump it all out, but I've been doing some heavy weeding for sure :)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
A lot of clothes, yes, and I got rid of a ton of music, but books and movies I have a hard time parting with. I think that to just sell all of your things is very challenging, and should be a slow process, especially if you have an in-home-library like I do. Can't just dump it all out, but I've been doing some heavy weeding for sure :)

Excellent progress.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
A lot of people that count seem to cheat the numbers. I just like to be practical with what I own. Useful items along with not a ton of personal ones. Having too much is annoying yet not having what you need can be just as troublesome.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
Enjoyed re reading this. I'm curious if you are trying to pay off your mortgage early?

Yes, i am. I've continued with the same financial regimen, and can now pay off my mortgage tomorrow if I wish (but am offsetting mortgage interest and investing). I still have 25 years of work before my official retirement date, so I think I am doing ok.

I forgot to ask, how is minimal living going?!

Last edited:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Yes, i am. I've continued with the same financial regimen, and can now pay off my mortgage tomorrow if I wish (but am offsetting mortgage interest and investing). I still have 25 years of work before my official retirement date, so I think I am doing ok.

I forgot to ask, how is minimal living going?!

I not just pay off the house now? Are you getting significantly better returns from your investments?

As for minimal living I now have my one place so had to buy some missing essentials.

Still looking to reduce. I'd like to not have to rent a van the next time I move. Doing so would require me getting rid my bike turntable equipment and all furniture.

So near impossible.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
I not just pay off the house now? Are you getting significantly better returns from your investments?

As for minimal living I now have my one place so had to buy some missing essentials.

Still looking to reduce. I'd like to not have to rent a van the next time I move. Doing so would require me getting rid my bike turntable equipment and all furniture.

So near impossible.

Interest rates are higher with investments and I like the flexibility of holding the cash at the moment. We live in uncertain times!

Yes, the baseline for possessions as a homeowner is a lot higher than a 100!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have no desire or need to try to live within a contrived self imposed limitation of only owning or having 100 things. For some people that may be liberating but I think its silly.

I'm not caught up in consumerism, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy the fruits of my labor, and/or ensure my family has items that help them with their overall life.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I have no desire or need to try to live within a contrived self imposed limitation of only owning or having 100 things. For some people that may be liberating but I think its silly.

I'm not caught up in consumerism, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy the fruits of my labor, and/or ensure my family has items that help them with their overall life.

I'm not so much bent on the idea of 100 items but rather be mindful of what I do have and get rid of what I see as non-essential.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Just the standard items for a car would be half of that.

Oh yeah, some ofriends these people have no car, never cook, nor do much of anything with only a handful of items.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not so much bent on the idea of 100 items but rather be mindful of what I do have and get rid of what I see as non-essential.

Understood, I will say when you're younger its much easier to embrace such a lifestyle. Get married, have kids, get some pets, buy a house and life just spirals out of control with stuff. Generally speaking I'm a purger not a hoarder yet with that said, the level of stuff in my house is rather astonishing. As much as I try to simplify, there are three woman in my house (wife/2 kids) that offset any work I do :)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Understood, I will say when you're younger its much easier to embrace such a lifestyle. Get married, have kids, get some pets, buy a house and life just spirals out of control with stuff. Generally speaking I'm a purger not a hoarder yet with that said, the level of stuff in my house is rather astonishing. As much as I try to simplify, there are three woman in my house (wife/2 kids) that offset any work I do :)

Haha entirely agree here.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
True I find the concept a great idea.

But the other of this book is a complete idiot. You can certainly live with less but just 100 items is not much.

I am sure we could start a list of bare essential things and surpass 100 in no time.

I sort of agree - the practice elf living with less is wonderful. Trying to confine yourself to an irrational number simply for the sake of argument is pointless to me, plus everyone has different wants and needs and balances things differently.

In my case, it breaks down to organization and space; I don't mind having more items provided they are small and easy to store or put away when I'm not using them. It's the primary reason I've always only bought laptops - for me it's the best balance of life and utility. I have a collection of antique coins from my grandfather, and very rare first-issue stamps - do they each count as a separate item? By the strict list, yes. But they all fit in their proper place in the book so it's not a big deal. I value high quality music and album art on my favorite albums, hence I still have a collection of CDs; I can store everything on my computer or an external drive, but I like having the physical CDs sometimes. I'm old enough to remember the simple contentment of listening to the music while I flip through the album art for the thousandth time. Same with movies. Most of the time I'd be fine with just renting it off Amazon Prime when I want to watch it - other times I want the actual movie.

We all find our own balance. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.