Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
In two days, the Mac mini has gone from delivery on January 22nd to a "3-4 weeks" shipping window.

Sounds a bit like another mini did a year ago....

Any guesses as to how high the delay will reach?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
With the target customer base being switchers, it'd better not get too long a wait, 3-4 weeks is more than bad enough if you ask me. WTF is it with Apple and actually delivering their products on time :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You can't blame Apple - how were they supposed to know that there would be demand for this? I'm sure it's all the fault of 3rd party manufacturing partners, since, you know, there's so much new tech involved. :rolleyes:

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Tried ordering one lastnight and just said screw it when they told me the wait time. Ill try again sometime when the demand isnt so high or Tiger is released.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacMall still says January 22nd, but perhaps they pre-ordered a stash of them or something.

As for Apple delays, they probably could have announced G5 PowerBooks, since by the time people would have expected them to actually have a supply, they could design and build them.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
This news is a downer. :( For switchers. :p

Apple and they manufacturers, need to get they act together. It seems they have not learnt from the past. I see more people getting fired or demoted for this. :(

Oh well good thing I am not in the market for this. :)

By the time this is actually shipped to customers it will have Tiger already installed on it. :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
emw said:
MacMall still says January 22nd, but perhaps they pre-ordered a stash of them or something.

As for Apple delays, they probably could have announced G5 PowerBooks, since by the time people would have expected them to actually have a supply, they could design and build them.

I don't even want to think how long of a wait a PowerBook G5 will have. :p

When it is announced either grab the floor model or place an order no less than 1 second after the Keynote ends. :)

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Waits for Apple prouducts are even worse if your not in the USA. Like for example, when the 3G iPod was released there was atleast a 6 week wait just so my local reseller could get them into Canada. So i bought my iBook instead. Now this... Guess ill end up getting a new iBook or iMac for instant gratifcation... Maybe thats Apples angle on this one. Upsell us by not having an available product.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
maya said:
I don't even want to think how long of a wait a PowerBook G5 will have. :p

When it is announced either grab the floor model or place an order no less than 1 second after the Keynote ends. :)

You need to place your order during the keynote... just keep refreshing Apple.com until the new G5 PowerBooks appear.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah said that for me too ..

Well I just did it, Actually I probably overdid it.

I Ordered from Apple

Mac mini 1.42
512mb Ram
Airport Extreme Card
80GB HD
Superdrive (I'm not sure why I did this just figured I would regret not getting this later)
I took the 3yr warranty which I figured on a device this small warranted $149 bucks

Total $853& 149 for the Warrantee

Of course I then ordered a Pair of klipsch 2.0 Pro for $99 did'nt have to do that but heard good things...

My PC server will house my Itunes Music but I'll share it thru the Mac. I also have a 300GB External Drive i built for my Lappy, can I use that with the Mac as well? It's USB 2.0

So Welcome to the Mac world.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Scarpad said:
I also have a 300GB External Drive i built for my Lappy, can I use that with the Mac as well? It's USB 2.0

Yes you will be able to use it with the Mini, although you may need a USB hub, if you don't already have one as the Mini only has two USB posts.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
James Craner said:
Yes you will be able to use it with the Mini, although you may need a USB hub, if you don't already have one as the Mini only has two USB posts.

Bought a 4 port one for now

white1827

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2005
Ha! at least I'm not the only tool

rhpenguin said:
Waits for Apple prouducts are even worse if your not in the USA. Like for example, when the 3G iPod was released there was atleast a 6 week wait just so my local reseller could get them into Canada. So i bought my iBook instead. Now this... Guess ill end up getting a new iBook or iMac for instant gratifcation... Maybe thats Apples angle on this one. Upsell us by not having an available product.

I cancelled my mac mini preorder and picked up an iBook instead. I'm glad I'm not the only consumer zombie out there.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jsw said:
You can't blame Apple - how were they supposed to know that there would be demand for this? I'm sure it's all the fault of 3rd party manufacturing partners, since, you know, there's so much new tech involved. :rolleyes:

What amazes me is that so many don't seem to realize just how hard it is to project demand. Add to that the Mac mini is not easily user upgradeable from some of the reports we are hearing.

The only way Apple might have saved delays was to do an ideal config, and offer that as the only option (IMO 512mb, 40gb HDD, combo CD/DVD, and AE). Sort of the Model T of computers, and offered BTO once demand had been met.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
at least it makes some sense to have a _little_ bit to much demand
3-4 weeks ain't that bad like it was with the ipod mini (which was even delayed for another month in europe half a year later the annoucement)

and don't forget ...demand isn't the same everywhere
the stock ones are still at 29th here in austria and germany so the buzz haven't catched that much steam...always take it's time... (my BTO says on/before 17/2)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
There was a thread here that linked to future PB G5s. The link showed that the Mac mini is slated at 100K units a month. Pretty darn good start IMO for an "also ran" in the computer market. I can see Apple looking for more capacity as time and demand goes on. But not early in the game.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
What amazes me is that so many don't seem to realize just how hard it is to project demand.
True, but you'd think they'd get better at it by now. We've almost always faced demand issues with Apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.