Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Hey All...

Like most macpro owners, I'm short on USB ports and have been looking for a cost effective add-in solution that isn't hella over priced. After doing a bit of research, I think I found the item to get:

Over at NewEgg, they have this card for $23 delivered:
Rosewill 4+1 USB 2.0 Card
15-166-017-03.jpg

For comparison, here is the same card from Sonnet that sells for about $56.00 delivered:
15-104-004-01.jpg

The cards have nearly an identical layout and the same NEC chipset. I'm guessing this is the same part with the only difference being the purple PCB and a couple capacitors, which is not worth $30.00!

I've ordered mine and thought I'd share! Anyone else out there know of any low cost solutions?

JustinBW

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
Do you need to connect these cards to the power supply somehow?

If so, are there card that do not require external power?

Also did you have to download a driver or anything, it does not list Mac OS as supported on the newegg tech spec page.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Also did you have to download a driver or anything, it does not list Mac OS as supported on the newegg tech spec page.

The answers are no, no, and most likely no. OS X has drivers for common USB chipsets.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Do you need to connect these cards to the power supply somehow?... you snap them in an open pci e slot they all have power.

If so, are there card that do not require external power? ...yes any one that will go into a pci e slot

Also did you have to download a driver or anything, it does not list Mac OS as supported on the newegg tech spec page.... I did not have to download a driver it worked
note if you have a new mac make sure you know if you have pci slots or pci e slots this only fits pci e slots

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The card draws the power from the PCI Express bus. It has an additional power connector on it if you needed it for some reason.

The driver is built into OS X. Just plug it in and it works. I took the risk knowing it may not work, turned out to be exactly what I needed.

Should work fine in any MacPro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.