10K HDD for 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, May 6, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

I need to find one. My old HDD is dying (20MB/s)

MacBook 5.1 (2008 release)

Mac OS 10.6.7

Maybe the VelociRaptor?

And no, SSD breaks over time. I don't want that

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Your current HDD broke over time.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

10k drives run hot and tends to be more susceptible to failure. Considering the power draw increase I'd recommend you rethink this.

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Are you planning on using a Dremel to vent your MBP for additional cooling?

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I thought the small form factor Raptor drives were designed to run inside of the 3.5" heatsink they come in. Was that just the older ones?

Maybe this would go well with the water cooled laptop the other guy asked about the other day.

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

They are designed to run in that heat-sink. Some adventurous users have removed them and installed in a laptop. They will work but the added heat really kills their longevity.

Honestly, if I was looking for better performance and wanted to stick with a mechanical hard drive I'd be looking at the Hybrid drives. The Momentous XT, if I remember correctly.

7. Brettla macrumors regular

The real issue is that the raptors and other 10k drives are made for servers which is why most places list them as an enterprise level drive. Even though they are 2.5 inch drives they are too thick to go into most Laptops. I really don't think any of the 10k drives I just looked up on Newegg will even fit into the MBP.

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

you would probably be better off looking at the hybrid drives from seagate - faster than normal 7200 spin drives (when doing the same apps etc as the flash is more like a smart-buffer) and wont meltdown.

Stay away from 10k disks in a laptop - you are asking for a world of (not far off) future pain there.

As for the SSD's failing over time - well thats true of all electronic and mechanical devices. at least when SSD's eventually breakdown; they do so in read only (means they stop writing is all so you can simply clone to new disk and off you go for another bunch of years).

just my 5p worth of course as only you can weigh in the pros and cons with 10k, 7200Hybrid and/or SSD solutions to fit your needs/budget.

:)

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you really want speed without the SSD, consider the Momentus XT or a 750GB WD Scorpio Black, basically the two fastest laptop drives on the market. Don't try a velociraptor though, that thing will melt down very quickly, and I think they are actually too thick to begin with.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

In most cases the other parts of the computer break or it becomes obsolete before an SSD breaks down. You really think a disk spinning at 7.5-10K RPM in a tight case is going to be more reliable over time than a solid state chip?

11. cube macrumors G5

How would you power the Velociraptor in a laptop?

The Momentus XT is the way to go.

12. johnnj macrumors 6502a

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

Are you really doing things on your laptop that require a super-fast HDD. As others have said, a drive that fast will likely be running so hot that it will only give you a year or so of use...far less than an SDD.

If you are looking for speed, most of what I have read is that your should get 5 years of more of service from the current crop of SDDs...twice the length of use you got from your current failed internal I might add. ;)

14. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

does Momentus XT comes in 160/250 for the 7200RPM?

i can't buy for more than 85 US$

what temperature does a VelociRaptor runs at? mine runs at 35~40 Celcius

and one thing lol why can M17X have 10K hdd?

what's the difference from these 3 momentus XT drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8593&cm_re=momentus_XT-_-22-148-593-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8591&cm_re=momentus_XT-_-22-148-591-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8704&cm_re=momentus_XT-_-22-148-704-_-Product

what SSD brand won't have any troubles with OS X? i heard Mercury have problems :/

plz post link to SSD/Hybrid drives that include USB to HDD cable (me no have enclosure for ext)

15. scottlinux, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

The velociraptor drives run hot and sometimes don't fit in small laptops. I think they are not designed for laptops but rather enterprise environments (ie servers with proper power and cooling).

SSD reliability has improved from the early generation drives. They will last longer than your regular spinning hard drive. Have you seen videos like this one? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odSSI_9KAkI

16. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

^ holy crap

what's a cheap and good brand of SSD that does not have problems with OS X?

80GB+

need to have the USB to drive connection cable

17. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you've only got $85 to spend, forget about an SSD, as there is no such thing as a cheap SSD. Buy yourself a 500GB Scorpio Black, which is the fastest thing you can get for that money. You'll have to buy the USB cable separately, as I have not seen a single HDD that comes with one.

As for the m17x, it can run a 10k HDD because it's twice as thick as the MBP and has a cooling system made for very hot components. Still not a good idea though, as it will get very hot.

18. cube macrumors G5

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Moment...entus-XT-SKU-What-s-the-difference/td-p/91644

I would just buy the $99 500GB.

19. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'll buy the retail version.

does that include a USB to SATA cable?

20. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I would take everyone else's advice here. I would be less worried about the drive failing as I would be about it causing other parts of my computer to fail. All that heat and not enough cooling can't be good for the other parts. :eek:

21. Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

Don't waste your money on a Velociraptor, they've been rendered obsolete by SSDs. The difference between a 7,200 and 10,000 RPM mechanical drive is going to be minimal to the point of unnoticeable in the real world, while an SSD is the single most dramatic upgrade you can get performance-wise. Think several orders of magnitude. The only thing the Velociraptor can do faster than an SSD is drain your battery.

Velociraptors are even more stupid now that some SSDs are on par with them price-wise too.

tl;dr = Go with an SSD. I did and I'm never looking back.

22. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

OP, If you spent $100 on a Momentous you'd get a slight improvement in speed. If you are trying to boost speed I'd strongly recommend you save your money a little longer and start looking at SSD's you can afford. Kingston has a strong lineup for low end SSDs that are pretty good. You can get a 64g for $130 but thats an awfully small drive. If you can save up $150-$250 you can get into a really nice drive like the Intel's or the Vertex 2 with more capacity. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

But, keep in mind that even a low SSD is probably 10x faster than an old fashioned hard drive. There's just no comparison. Its not even close.

The 10k drives are usually 12.5 mm which can be squeezed into most MacBooks. Its a tight fit though which means even less cooling than normal.

23. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Not for all applications. Mechanical hard drives are still preferred for certain streaming write-heavy applications (like multi-track audio).

Not even close. A 600gB Velociraptor is $250.

I am not disagreeing with your overall point.

24. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

what SSD is available for, say 130 US$?

have to be 80GB+

25. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

None with those criteria.