Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If they were going to do that, the iPhone 4s would be the iPhone 5 and so on. No way they are going to skip 7-9 and go straight to the 10.

Reactions: The Doctor11

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
  1. iPhone 2G
  2. iPhone 3G
  3. iPhone 3GS
  4. iPhone 4
  5. iPhone 4s
  6. iPhone 5
  7. iPhone 5c
  8. iPhone 5s
  9. iPhone 6
  10. iPhone 6 Plus
  11. iPhone 6s
  12. iPhone 6s Plus
Technically the 10th iPhone would be either the 6 or the 6 plus. So get one of those, install iOS 10 on it when available and boom you'll have achieved you dream of running iOS 10 on the 10th iPhone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
would be called "iPhone 10", running "iOS 10".
The number of iphone has nothing to do with what Apple calls it. As noted by @The Doctor11 this isn't going to be the 10th iPhone. They've had other models, since you need to account for the S models, and the 5c.

Its like people trying to say that after OS X 10.9, we'd see OS XI, which is not the case, the numeric identifier is not a real number just something apple uses, i.e., 10.11.4. In the case of the iPhone its a sequential identifier, but they also use letters which messes up the sequence, plus they didn't start off with the "iPhone 1"

Reactions: lagwagon

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
I think people refer to it as the 10th iPhone because this is the 10th generation iPhone. The iPhone 5c came out the same time as the 5s and was spec'd as iPhone 5.

So yes this would be he 10th generation but zero chance of them calling this the iPhone 10

Reactions: timeconsumer

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So yes this would be he 10th generation but zero chance of them calling this the iPhone 10
How do you get to that number? I cannot figure out how to account for iPhones and arrive at the number 10, even if I exclude the S model and consider that part of the non-s generation.

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
How do you get to that number? I cannot figure out how to account for iPhones and arrive at the number 10, even if I exclude the S model and consider that part of the non-s generation.

Yeah its just because the plus phones came out the same time, so they are the same generation as the 6 and 6s.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Indeed, but it worked awfully for the "New iPad". Their 'new name every 2 generations' thing they got going now is also awful IMO.

Call it iPhone 2016 and be done with it.
I completely agree. At least the iPad mini line somewhat makes sense (after they renamed the iPad mini with Retina Display to the iPad mini 2).

1. iPad :)
2. iPad 2 :)
3. The new iPad o_O
4. iPad with Retina Display :confused:
5. iPad Air :)
6. iPad Air 2 :)
7. iPad Pro 9.7"? iPad Pro mini? :rolleyes:

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
No. It's not a "new" in the same way the 5C was not a new phone.

The casing is different, the name is different, the internals are different - many of them even bettering 6; the only thing constant is a 4.0" screen. It may as well be considered a new one.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The casing is different, the name is different, the internals are different - many of them even bettering 6; the only thing constant is a 4.0" screen. It may as well be considered a new one.
To be clear, I don't care. I'm simply making the case that if the iPhone 5C had a unique internals/externals combo and doesn't "count" in this scenario, then the SE doesn't either.

The SE is not the 10th iteration; it's a variant of the 9th iteration.

Last edited:

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana

Yes it is different than the 6 series, but it is still the same generation as the 6s series though, it doesn't bring new specs to the table. It's just smaller form factor, so this wouldn't start a new generation.

This fall will bring the 10th generation, likely called iphone 7

Reactions: Peter K.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Yes it is different than the 6 series, but it is still the same generation as the 6s series though, it doesn't bring new specs to the table. It's just smaller form factor, so this wouldn't start a new generation.

This fall will bring the 10th generation, likely called iphone 7

My mind is so confused with this paradox right now :)

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

Why're you putting so much effort... simple equation. 10 years of iphone .. 10th generation since it's released (as a main version) only once a year.
[doublepost=1458441282][/doublepost]
Someone who mocks people speculating in other threads, makes a thread to speculate on the next iPhone being called the iPhone 10. Skipping iPhone 7-9 in the process. Priceless.

yeah i thought it'd be fun to post useless speculative threads like this one. "skipping" haha priceless. FYI: they "skipped" the "2" as well. Went from "iphone" to "iphone 3g" and then "iphone 3gs". Did you call them out on that? This year, they could name it iphone 10. you never know.

Last edited:

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
FYI: they "skipped" the "2" as well. Went from "iphone" to "iphone 3g" and then "iphone 3gs". Did you call them out on that? This year, they could name it iphone 10. you never know.

They did not skip, per se. The very first iPhone used second generation telecommunication technology. Its second iteration used third generation tech, hence they decided to add 3G to the name (3G does not mean iPhone 3). iPhone 3Gs, the s version of iPhone 3G, was the third iteration. Starting from fourth iteration, they used iteration number in the nomenclature, hence calling it the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.