Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
@Lkwd24 as suggested by the OP @Nixle, this problem may have been triggered by the enabling of fast wireless charging in iOS 11.2. At least that sounds like a feasible reason since it was the principle change in that release and only seems to affect models that support wireless charging.

I am hoping for a rapid fix from Apple. FWIW, as someone who uses the camera a lot but never uses wireless charging, I'd be satisfied with a setting just to disable it altogether.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I just downgraded to 11.1.2 (issue gone with original Apple leather case) and set up as new, upgraded to 11.2 (issue still gone), restored my backup (issue is back). Downgrading to 11.1.2 permanently is not an option for me since I don't have a backup of my phone on that version anymore thanks to iTunes immediately having overwritten the backup after I had upgraded to 11.2. It's unbelievable that Apple let us spend over a grand on a phone and renders the camera - one of the main selling points of this device - useless with one of their software updates...
Unfortunately this issue does not seem widespread enough(so far). It feels like this will be an ios12 fix unless news outlets pick this up. Hoping I am wrong but thats how some other bugs went. Yeah this is pretty frustrating.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I decided to see if I could raise awareness here at MacRumours via posting about this issue. For example this post should push this thread back towards the top of the iOS forum. I mentioned it on the first page of comments of the new emoji article on today's front page. If anyone cares to join me in this, the more the merrier...

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I decided to see if I could raise awareness here at MacRumours via posting about this issue. For example this post should push this thread back towards the top of the iOS forum. I mentioned it on the first page of comments of the new emoji article on today's front page. If anyone cares to join me in this, the more the merrier...
Thanks. Also did you add it to the list of bugs uner the sticky?
[doublepost=1512489428][/doublepost]
@Lkwd24 as suggested by the OP @Nixle, this problem may have been triggered by the enabling of fast wireless charging in iOS 11.2. At least that sounds like a feasible reason since it was the principle change in that release and only seems to affect models that support wireless charging.

I am hoping for a rapid fix from Apple. FWIW, as someone who uses the camera a lot but never uses wireless charging, I'd be satisfied with a setting just to disable it altogether.
since this can be easily fixed by a factory reset or a roll back I am not hopeful they will fix before ios12. but hoping you right

NickRT

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Hi Everyone. Newbie here but not new to Apple issues!

Along with other iPhone 8, 8 plus and x users.

Since updating iOS to 11.2 on my iPhone 8 Plus, on it’s release, my camera lens focus acted in the same way. Not focusing and intermittently parsing in and out.

I did the obvious, restart and googled for any info. Restart made no difference. Google search brought me to this forum which seems to confirm an iOS issue.

I contacted Apple Support on Sunday evening last. They did a remote diagnostic test, which showed no issues. Although I mentioned to them that this appears to be a developing problem now showing up on forums, since the iOS update to 11.2. Apple were not convinced it was a software issue and advised me to take my phone to an Apple store to replace!

I visited Apple Store, told them the issue and also that other people were experiencing same. They had me reset my iPhone to reinstall fresh software and on latest iOS 11.2. Guess what, no change in camera lens focus. Still defective.

They did offer to repair the iPhones camera! No way!

Firstly as I pointed out, I believe, along with you guys, that this is an iOS 11.2 issue. Apple insisted not.

Secondly, my iPhone 8 Plus was only two month old from new purchase.

A word to the wise people know your consumer rights! Apple said they could only offer to repair, which would mean I would end up with what I would consider a reconditioned iPhone.

Consumer laws gives us the right to insist on a brand new replacement if goods are proven defective within the first year guarantee. Too many people are being pushed into this lame excuse that an offer of repair is the policy. This is not the case. Because I was insistent on my consumer rights, Apple gave me a brand new iPhone 8 Plus replacement.

LATEST: back home setting up the new replacement. I notice it was running previous iOS 11.1. I checked camera lens, everything ok as it should be.

Howeve, as Apple insist it is not a iOS 11.2 issue, I am now updating the software to 11.2.

If the issue returns on this new replacement iPhone 8 Plus, that would surely suffice to prove that it is indeed an iOS 11.2 issue. I will update you with latest progress soon.

If the problem does return, so will this iPhone, back to the Apple store! Yes, I could get them to revert software back to 11.1, but I need them to identify the cause of this growing problem and explain to us how it will be resolved.

Watch this space.
[doublepost=1512491626][/doublepost]Hello. If  are not recognising this as an iOS issue in 11.2 then I assume no one there will be working to fix it? It is clearly an iOS issue, as going back to previous version works (iPhone X) & so it is not hardware related. How do we get  to listen??

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
All these gimmicky little fixes aren't a thing.

This is an issue directly related to 11.2. Apple needs to fix this on their end.

Reactions: Flattliner

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
[doublepost=1512491626][/doublepost]
Hello. If  are not recognising this as an iOS issue in 11.2 then I assume no one there will be working to fix it? It is clearly an iOS issue, as going back to previous version works (iPhone X) & so it is not hardware related. How do we get  to listen??
If its not widespread or reported as such they wont fix it until ios12 is what ive seen. But maybe since camera is a big deal. But there are tons of people who rarely use the camera beleive it or not.

Also if it can be fixed with a factory reset which is being reported by some then apple will not even begin to work on this.

El1jah

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Hey, just wanted to say that I had the same problem under iOS 11.2. I have the Dallas case by KAVAJ. Once I dismounted the case the camera is working again, finally without any problems. I tried to put the camera near the magnet in my case, and it immediately got blurry again. I’m my other case out of silicon there are no problems at all.

Last edited:

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I love that people with crap cases are blaming Apple for this one. There are enough legitimate complaints about Apple right now without manufacturing an issue.

Reactions: RUQRU

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I love that people with crap cases are blaming Apple for this one. There are enough legitimate complaints about Apple right now without manufacturing an issue.

Had it not also been reported as a problem by users of Apple branded cases you'd almost be right there.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Genuine Apple case on my X (it even has a glass protector over the back of the phone and is inside the case.

No issues whatsoever.

My MacBook Pro Case. Wide angle lens

cfbdafd92bf53e5dc7192f746a153f48.jpg

Telephoto lens

7dc3cfdc35c7f387f36dca66b8cf253c.jpg

The phone in its case.

f258a97053a06d0ffe7a7a3e26068516.jpg

Reactions: RUQRU

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Whereabouts in your case are the magnets ?

It doesn't have any magnets. The metal disc is stuck on the back of the case and the only time a magnet is near it is when it goes on the magnetic holder in the car.

I don't currently wireless charge and just use a normal charger or apple 29w/USB-C to Lightning if I need a fast boost.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Just added this:
  • Breaks camera if using a case with magnets on wireless charging models
Thanks I am experiencing without a case
[doublepost=1512506353][/doublepost]
All these gimmicky little fixes aren't a thing.

This is an issue directly related to 11.2. Apple needs to fix this on their end.
I have a feeling they wont fix this for a while or until ios 12. Its not widespread enough and can be fixed with a rollback or factory reset. They may not even consider this a bug. There were many issues from ios 10 and 9 on the sticky that never got fixed until the next ios rollout in september some minor and some just as bad as this. Hoping I am wrong but am not optimistic it gets fixed.

Last edited:

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
The problem is definitely not isolated to magnetic cases or cases per se. I have the original Apple leather case and whether the phone is in the case or not doesn't make the slightest difference. The camera can't focus in or out of the case, so there doesn't seem to be a single reason causing the problems (like magnets interfering with the camera).

Reactions: metsjetsfan

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
The problem is definitely not isolated to magnetic cases or cases per se. I have the original Apple leather case and whether the phone is in the case or not doesn't make the slightest difference. The camera can't focus in or out of the case, so there doesn't seem to be a single reason causing the problems (like magnets interfering with the camera).
same here. third party camera apps seem to be ok so far for me

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
uhmm only iPhone 8? Yesterday i was having very weird problems with my 7 and focus was strangely slow and errant (not in low light)

tonightapplemakesmesad

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Hi guys! I created an account on MacRumors just for this issue. Anyway I think I have some bad news. I have a plastic case (no magnet) and I've experienced the issue since 11.2 came out (with or without the case). I have an iPhone 8.
I tried everything, including closing the Camera app, restarting the iPhone and hard resetting it. Then I did a factory reset:
- When I restored from my usual iCloud backup, the issue was still there.
- When I set the phone as new, the issue is gone.
So we basically have 3 choices:
1) Waiting for a fix from Apple (which may never happen since there aren't many affected users apparently)
2) Rolling back to 11.1.2 forever
3) Setting up the iPhone as a new device and going through everything manually (download all apps again, configure notifications, lose iMessages, etc.)
I haven't decided what to do yet. :|

Reactions: madmin

Lkwd24

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
NJ
Interesting. My camera works perfect without the magnet top case, yet as soon as I switch to the magnet top case the camera doesn’t auto focus. I wonder if you have a different issue with yours which is unrelated.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Hi guys! I created an account on So we basically have 3 choices:
1) Waiting for a fix from Apple (which may never happen since there aren't many affected users apparently)
2) Rolling back to 11.1.2 forever
3) Setting up the iPhone as a new device and going through everything manually (download all apps again, configure notifications, lose iMessages, etc.)
I haven't decided what to do yet. :|

Thanks for setting up an account to share this with us !
Maybe option 2 until iCloud Messages is ready and then option 3, all the while hoping option 1 arrives.

Last edited:

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I have 11.2 downloaded and was all ready to install until o saw this thread. Now I’m skeptical of going through the install, because I don’t want to have this camera issue.

I don’t have a computer on me either to rollback to the previous firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.