Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graison

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
Saskatoon
My 6s is getting brutal battery life since updating to iOS 11. Dropped 15% just opening clash Royale for 30 seconds then another 10% just having the screen on for a few minutes.

ohforf

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
UK
Having the same issues here with my 6s. 100% charge when I go to bed and completely flat battery when I wake up. Battery drain during the day seems normal. Wonder if it could have something to do with night shift, will try turning that off tonight to see if that makes any difference.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Actually the battery drain was slightly fixed with 11.4 for me, it was truly horrible with whatever IOS was directly before. That said battery is still definitely not on par from two minor updates ago. I'm still facing massive battery drain with the phone on standby.

8+

tsipo

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2018
Toronto
Contacted Apple support, ran a diagnostics test which brought up nothing, upon their recommendation I have performed "restore iPhone", which took a while and did not help one bit.
When my phone is in standby mode (no app is open) and casual usage for a few minutes a time at home, battery drops 10%-20% an hour. When I am away from home, it drops by 2%-3% an hour.
For most apps background refresh is disabled.
With the same usage pattern and iOS 11.3.1, my battery life was 30-35 hours. With iOS 11.4, it's 15-16 hours or worse (depending how much of this time I'm home). My battery health is 96%.
Update: restore was earlier this afternoon, now I have stats since then:
Battery usage - Usage 1:13 hours, standby 8:44 hours. Down from 100% to 20%.
Most of this time I was at home. The 2:30 hours I wasn't (dinner outside), my battery dropped by 6% only (77%->71%).

Reactions: jhall8

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I came here today because the battery life on my SE is very bad since loading 11.4.

I noticed battery health is reporting max capacity a few % higher than the prior version—like 89% vs 85%. But the battery drains super fast.

Glad I found this thread. I thought I might be imagining it.

Last edited:

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Morning of day four and things seems to have stabilised (80-something% last night -> 70% this morning). Seems to have been either initial processes after updating or a non-Apple widget (turned off Fantastical and WeatherPro before going to bed) clashing with the update.

If this was systems related and not a bug, it was not very well-engineered. But I have to assume no Apple dev intends for a device to drain like that for any reason, especially in the light of recent battery findings.

Reactions: one_tech

thatbenarp

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
Folsom, CA
Same issue here on an iPhone 6. I have a brand new battery (replaced less than a month ago at an AASP under the battery replacement program - 18 cycles total according to coconut battery when this issue cropped up). So, I know it's not a failing battery in my case since this battery operated like new until I updated Tuesday evening.

I saw someone on Twitter today theorizing it is some sort of "bug" that activates when the battery is charged to 100%. His temporary fix was to charge up to full and then reboot the phone and you'll get your battery life back. I tried that this afternoon and so far so good. Phone was idle all afternoon, I did some light internet browsing and listened to a podcast later this evening and stand at 92% about 7 hours later. Yesterday that same standby / usage would have drained me to the low 60s. Of course, ymmv since I'm on an older phone with a fresh battery.

IIRC, his theory is that something is running in the background causing the drain as he saw his "usage" and "standby" times were very close even when he left the phone idle with no apps running in the background.

ualift

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2018
[doublepost=1527892762][/doublepost]I chatted with apple this morning and the rep claimed no knowledge of any battery drain coincidental with 11.4 update.

Also seemed uninterested in any genuine suggestions to address.

My SE dropping 30% overnight over two days and two recharges. Background refresh, location features disabled and network reset with no improvement. Was solid battery power retention prior to update with battery health showing 95% healthy/capable.

Have seen that with time ‘indexing’ will compete and will resolve. I’m not convinced yet.
FYI,

My SE after 4 days and 3 charge cycles seems back to normal with a 3-5% overnight loss only.

Thanks for input and good luck to all.

graison

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
Saskatoon
Same issue here on an iPhone 6. I have a brand new battery (replaced less than a month ago at an AASP under the battery replacement program - 18 cycles total according to coconut battery when this issue cropped up). So, I know it's not a failing battery in my case since this battery operated like new until I updated Tuesday evening.

I saw someone on Twitter today theorizing it is some sort of "bug" that activates when the battery is charged to 100%. His temporary fix was to charge up to full and then reboot the phone and you'll get your battery life back. I tried that this afternoon and so far so good. Phone was idle all afternoon, I did some light internet browsing and listened to a podcast later this evening and stand at 92% about 7 hours later. Yesterday that same standby / usage would have drained me to the low 60s. Of course, ymmv since I'm on an older phone with a fresh battery.

IIRC, his theory is that something is running in the background causing the drain as he saw his "usage" and "standby" times were very close even when he left the phone idle with no apps running in the background.

Tried this on my 6s, battery dropped 10% in about a minute after rebooting.

Caladrius

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
Same story here with an iPhone 6S Plus and a brand new battery. I'll give the power saving mode a try tonight, the airplane mode tomorrow and so on.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
My phone drained from 64% to 38% last night while I was sleeping. With low power mode enabled. Not happy.

8+

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I’m having a similar issue which seems to have started since updating to 11.4. Last night I left my phone on my bedside with 100% charge and woke up in the morning to find it had only about 30% left. Normally I would only lose 1-5% overnight at most. According to battery usage the phone only logged 8 minutes of usage in that period. Battery health is at 89%. It’s a two year old iPhone 6s. I have also noticed since updating that the phone seems to run warmer than usual even when it is not performing intensive tasks (it gets warm on the right side where the processors are, not so much on the left where the battery is which to me suggests that the phone is doing a lot of processing, though it is not obvious to me what it is doing). Closing all open apps does not appear to help. Battery life does seem better when away from home, though it still feels worse than before the latest update. I’m currently at the beginning of a week long trip, so having a phone that does not seem to want to hold a charge is quite concerning!

Reactions: acorntoy

ualift

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2018
I’m having a similar issue which seems to have started since updating to 11.4. Last night I left my phone on my bedside with 100% charge and woke up in the morning to find it had only about 30% left. Normally I would only lose 1-5% overnight at most. According to battery usage the phone only logged 8 minutes of usage in that period. Battery health is at 89%. It’s a two year old iPhone 6s. I have also noticed since updating that the phone seems to run warmer than usual even when it is not performing intensive tasks (it gets warm on the right side where the processors are, not so much on the left where the battery is which to me suggests that the phone is doing a lot of processing, though it is not obvious to me what it is doing). Closing all open apps does not appear to help. Battery life does seem better when away from home, though it still feels worse than before the latest update. I’m currently at the beginning of a week long trip, so having a phone that does not seem to want to hold a charge is quite concerning!
[doublepost=1528061329][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1528061597][/doublepost]Hang in there. My two year old SE had similar battery drain issue after 11.4 update. Three charges and 4 days later it is back to normal.

Apparently ‘reindexing’ takes place over that period and normal battery performance resumes. I was skeptical but I’d give it a few days if no other variables changed and you had normal battery performance prior to 11.4 update.

Antisthenes

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
I've had exactly the same issue with my 6s (battery health = 95%).

I updated to 11.4 on Thursday. I attributed the initial battery drain to reindexing, since I do have a few hundred fotos and a lot of apps. When battery life simply refused to return back to normal, I did a full DFU restore and set it up as a new phone, on Saturday. Alas, with barely any apps installed (Whatsapp, Telegram, Fantastical and Feedly), battery started to drain again after a few hours of use ...

So, since Apple is going to stop signing 11.3.1 soon, I downgraded my phone yesterday afternoon. I am "happy" to report that battery life has returned to normal.

ziebo

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Exactly the same happened to me. A fresh installation of IOS 11.4 as "new phone" didn't solve the issue. After a few hours draining started again. Ultima ratio: Downgrading to 11.3.1 and voilá - battery life is back to normal.

The same strange behaviour is detected on my Ipad Mini 4 (Wifi). I just let it run in IOS 11.4 to see if anything changes within the next days.

ohforf

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
UK
Anyone kind enough to link to instructions on how to downgrade to previous version?

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
Mine went back to normal, what i did was let the battery drain. then charge it up to 100%. Thus far 16h and its at 93%, not 20. So thats a success.

iPad pro is somewhat sliding faster than usual, but with that battery size its not that noticeable. Could be the whole icloud messages thing or whatnot. Who knows, its so random.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I don't have any battery issues on my iPhone 6S Plus.

The battery stats has that one stupid feature that it doesn't include system services. For example some time ago I used certain weather application. At one point it had a bug that caused it to check the user's location constantly which caused my phone's battery drain to drain 3x faster than normal. But when I checked how much battery that application had consumed the battery stats said something like 4%. If that number would have included Location Services, or if the Location Services would be listed as an "app", the number would have probably been 80%-90%.

It's possible that the 11.4 update might have broken some application causing it to use some system service more than it normally should.

ladybowie

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Just joined specifically to post on this forum. I am experiencing this problem EXACTLY on an iPhone 6S. I am currently sitting in my car, watching the battery slide down and down. My problem may be slightly worse at home, but is definitely present while out as well.

About 3 weeks ago I had my battery replaced. I have an iPhone 6s with several years on it that I plan to drive until the wheels fall off. My battery life was beginning to dip, so I took advantage of the $29 battery. I was living in a world of luxury until this iOS update. I’m a member of a very active group chat with people in other time zones and I get a large number of (silent) notifications overnight. Because of this I always experience SOME overnight battery drain. After the new battery, I was expecting perhaps 10% overnight battery drain. My phone is sometimes lit up on and off over the night getting notifs; 10% is perfectly reasonable. After this update I have woken up to a dead phone every morning after going to bed with it between 80-70% as I tend to charge my phone before I go to bed. This was consistent for about 3 days, and I thought it was a fluke very briefly. After the first few days it abated for one night - 80% when I went to bed, 70% on waking up. After seeing this I assumed it must have been very long indexing combined with a problem with iMessage in iCloud. Unfortunately after my one day of peace the problem returned with a vengeance. I did a full restore to no avail. All the deduction on this thread is fascinating. I had figured out that it must be a system process (my per app battery use shed absolute no light on the situation) but sadly unlike some here it does not seem to be THAT much worse at home (though it may be slightly). I will try the charging it to 100 and reboot workaround. This is driving me up a wall as I just paid to have a brand new battery put in and now I’m having worse battery than I would with the old bad battery!

dewluca

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
I also updated to 11.4 several days ago and have been experiencing battery drain ever since. I've turned off all the things that typically drain the battery, but when I check the battery stats it says that SETTINGS is using over 70%. What in settings would be draining the battery? It's dropping around 10% per hour with the phone basically off (i.e., I'm not using it for ANYTHING, screen is black but not totally powered down). BTW, this behavior has continued even after a full 100% charge. The Apple battery evaluation says the battery is capable of peak performance, 100%. NONE of this was happening before the 11.4 update.

ladybowie

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Suffering here too on a 6S. 60-70% battery loss overnight. Phone completely dead in the morning, several days in a row. Battery capacity is 100% as the battery is barely 3 weeks old, freshly replaced. Battery use per app shows no indication of the source of the anomaly. Driving me rather crazy, this is.

Caladrius

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
Suffering here too on a 6S. 60-70% battery loss overnight. Phone completely dead in the morning, several days in a row. Battery capacity is 100% as the battery is barely 3 weeks old, freshly replaced. Battery use per app shows no indication of the source of the anomaly. Driving me rather crazy, this is.

Hey,
Here are the two temporary fixes I saw on the Apple forums :
1 - Go to Settings and disable WiFi. iOS 11.4 seems to have trouble with old hardware. (it worked for me)
2 - Go to Settings and disable location services (it worked for several users)

ladybowie

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Out of desperation I downloaded the 11.4.1 beta, in hopes that perhaps this had been fixed. It has not. It’s 8 am and I just had to get out of bed to get a charger for my dying phone. Lost ~50% overnight, untouched and unused. About 10% an hour from when it was set down, it looks like. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.