Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Unless the two models were identical apart from the processor change, you can't draw any conclusions from this test. It could be the extra RAM/SSD benefitted the i7, and there also could be software conflicts that the OP isn't listing. Not really a true test at all.

Actually, I think we CAN draw conclusions. Even if the i7 is benefitting from the extra RAM/SSD, that's very useful information to know, and further dispels the myth that the higher hardware configurations automatically hurt battery life in all use cases. Evidently, it isn't so cut and dry.

Your results does not make sense. Obviously the i5 was doing something in the background, spotlight indexing perhaps? You certainly won't have better battery life with the i7 and definitely not that much.

It actually does make sense, if you cast aside assumptions that because a processor is the "upscale" model, it must by definition absolutely use more power, in all cases. The higher L3 cache and enhancements over the i5 might make it capable of performing certain tasks (like sustained video decoding) while using less power overall, whereas the i5 might have to work harder at these tasks, be less efficient, and waste more energy doing them.

Before jumping on to the bandwagon of how awesome i7 is - let it go through some more practical real world usage of:

Netflix IS pretty practical real-world usage for some people. Your scenario is real-world usage for others too, so that would also be a good test.

Keep in mind that the websites you visit are also going to have a huge impact on what happens. If they're Flash or video heavy, there's going to be a lot more going on than a bunch of static pages.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
i7 has more cache and, as you say, is more powerful. It gets more work done per electron "consumed".

Nice test, thanks.

Thanks, someone else bought up the cache issue, I was not thinking about that originally.

My thoughts on this is leading me to believe.

If you are sipping CPU cycles, using very little CPU, the i5 will likely win by a tiny margin in a battery test.
If you are maxing out your CPU 100% the i5 is very likely to win by a larger margin.

But in that 15%-90% CPU range, I am thinking, "possibly" the i7 is actually better for battery life. (Note: this is more of a hypothesis, than a conclusion at this point.)

If thats the case, the next question is, where do you spend most of your time CPU usage wise?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Never was meant to be a CPU intensive test, more a real world test.
People do stream a lot, this was more for heat and battery.

And if you read my entire post, I came to the same conclusion , basically you did. i7 is the more powerful machine and did not have to "turbo boost" as much.

I do plan on doing a more CPU intensive test, which logically the i7 should not win in battery time and most likely heat. (Of course I didn't expect it to win this test either)

However, what ever I do to do that test, its far more likely people are going to stream video than run their cpu at 100% until it dies.

I am doing some practical and willing to do some impractical tests on both machines. But I am just doing these on the side on my time. And I am doing a thorough job making sure the conditions are exactly the same. Heck, I even ran them side by side at the same time, so that they would have matching room temperatures and same amount of air circulation in the room.

Do not shoot the messenger with the results.

I was wondering if you could convert a video on both with tune4mac or handbrake. I wonder what the time and power difference would be.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
i7 has more cache and, as you say, is more powerful. It gets more work done per electron "consumed".

Actually, this statement is wrong when seen from a certain point. More cache just means that the probability is higher that the data is already there (cached) and does not need to be processed (again). This saves processing power. You can not generalise this to "electrons" per se.

I, too, find the results very intriguing. That's the reason why I'm so interested in idle performance, because most of it's lifetime the cpu spends idling.

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Here's a thought. Rather than all the bickering over the results, why not have someone else, or several other people, repeat the experiment with the i5 Air and see if they get the same results. All that is required is that someone with an i5 MBA stream the same movie and take note of the battery level at the same intervals as the original poster. If you get the same numbers, the test is legitimate; if not, there is probably a defect in the original poster's MBA.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I think something's wrong with that i5 rig.

If this makes you i7 owners happy about your purchase.. Good.

Wait for Anandtech's i7 vs i5 battery test comparison though. There's just no physical way the i7 can outlast the i5 setup when all things are equal. The i7 will pull more wattage after idle than the i5 will.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009

Wait for Anandtech's i7 vs i5 battery test comparison though. There's just no physical way the i7 can outlast the i5 setup when all things are equal. The i7 will pull more wattage after idle than the i5 will.

Possibly always a chance there is a problem with my wife's i5.

How about a handful of you guys with i5's stream a 90 min movie (pick The Lorax (HD), if we want to keep everything the same), try to use the same settings as I did (stated in the original post).

I'd even be happy to post your results in the 1st thread.

I don't care which unit is better, I own both, I am not trying to "prove" anything, no agenda, if something is wrong with my wife's i5 I would appreciate very much the info myself so I can exchange it.

I do disagree there is no possible for the i7 to outlast the i5, the CPU% for the Safari and SilverLight processes were noticeably higher on the i5.
The i5 was working harder, going into "turbo boost" than the i7 (my theory) which therefore generated more heat and more battery drain. The i7 pulls more wattage at idle and and max cpu (at or near 100%), but in between 15-80% usage, I am having my doubts based on what I've seen so far.

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks for running these measured tests

Look forward to the next round of heavy usage / video encoding, light loading, mixed loading and sleep tests :)

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Just dropped from 91 to 90 percent as I went to post this. Bottom of MBA barely got warm to the touch after 45 minutes of streaming HD.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Is this for work purposes or pleasure??? 40 seems like a lot if you're casually surfing the web.

I'm casually surfing the web with 27 lol.

I have a problem where I open something, think to myself "I might need this in the near future" so I'll leave it open until I eventually clean up my tabs.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
And the conclusion is?

From my testing them side by side I feel the battery in the i5 lasts noticeably longer and runs cooler and quieter than the i7. I'm keeping the i5 .... I think, I've got until Monday to decide.

I use my 11" Air for web, email, autocad and concept drawing, some video, photo editing and boot into windows via fusion to run some apps. My i7 gets pretty loud and toasty doing that. The i5 not so much.

People seem to be getting mixed results, all along I thought the i5 was the keeper for best battery life and least noise and heat.

Interested to hear the conclusion from the others testing them side by side. My configurations are with 8gb RAM and 512 SSD.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm casually surfing the web with 27 lol.

I have a problem where I open something, think to myself "I might need this in the near future" so I'll leave it open until I eventually clean up my tabs.

touche; I do the same thing.

Kevbodian

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
I don't think you need i7 to run the games. From what I read about gaming performances, i5 or i7 doesn't really make much of a difference. I'll expect i5 to give more loading time but frame rate-wise you probably won't be able to distinguish between them.

What I concluded from all these i5/i7 hassle is what some people have always been saying: if you're not absolutely sure what you need the i7 for, you probably don't need it.

Of course I don't *need* it. However, any gain in FPS for an IGP is definitely desirable. I forget that on forums, you have to use words carefully or people pick them apart.

To say "if you're not entirely sure... you dont need it" is just ignorance. It's people who don't know coming to the conclusion they ... don't know.

You want me to elaborate? The i7 in this case is nearly identical except for the L3 cache, minor GPU difference and a small clock speed difference. Let's not forget that the processor is ULT as well: ie, they're not powerhouses.

While I said that most of my work is on battery but I'd like to play some games once in a while doesn't mean I don't care about FPS. However, in a ultra small notebook such as this where performance for portability is sacrificed, beggers CAN be choosers (at least to some degree).

Now if I was playing minesweeper, I'd agree with you...

Last edited:

Kevbodian

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
Here's a thought. Rather than all the bickering over the results, why not have someone else, or several other people, repeat the experiment with the i5 Air and see if they get the same results. All that is required is that someone with an i5 MBA stream the same movie and take note of the battery level at the same intervals as the original poster. If you get the same numbers, the test is legitimate; if not, there is probably a defect in the original poster's MBA.

It's probably this defect and not likely to be one of a hundred other things.

The problem with this is it's impossible to assume that everyone is running the test under the same conditions. It also will inevitably lead to a thread ripe with people's valid results based on 11", 13" or even other notebooks. Also, we will inevitably get tons of people who report either fallacy or with pertinent information left out.

These tests just provide a general insight. We'll never get 100% accurate results as so many factors can vary. On the other hand, we can get close to 100% (the limit of perhaps) but it would take hundreds of posts and then someone with the time to compile the data (if you want to get that complicated over something as minor as this).

----------

Streaming Avengers from full charge over Netflix in HD. I'll report back at 45 minutes.

Case in point. (I know, his next post oddly has a signature with his specs... not obvious however)

----------

And the conclusion is?

From my testing them side by side I feel the battery in the i5 lasts noticeably longer and runs cooler and quieter than the i7. I'm keeping the i5 .... I think, I've got until Monday to decide.

I use my 11" Air for web, email, autocad and concept drawing, some video, photo editing and boot into windows via fusion to run some apps. My i7 gets pretty loud and toasty doing that. The i5 not so much.

People seem to be getting mixed results, all along I thought the i5 was the keeper for best battery life and least noise and heat.

Interested to hear the conclusion from the others testing them side by side. My configurations are with 8gb RAM and 512 SSD.

Nice post. Thank you. It's nice to see another user able to compare and report.

----------

Except when the task would require the i5 to run at a higher power state than the i7. :)

----------

Hey Jaz, for your next test, maybe include some software that can show power draw and possibly even CPU usage in the (don't know what it's called on a mac and I don't want to say taskbar).. menu bar? Your last test may have benefited if you could see what was drawing more power during the stream. And perhaps, when the i5 drew more, then compare the CPU cycles (to see if some other process was consuming the power)... although it would be difficult to watch power draw and not the media content (don't get distracted! the world depends on these results).

----------

...electron "consumed".

Good god! Is something going around consuming our electrons?! What happens when we run out of electrons? :eek:

Last edited:

leslie11

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Heat and misc results

I'm running a comparison test for the 11", I5/8/256 and I7/8/256. I was trying to determine which of the machines produced more heat as it makes it more difficult to work if the keyboard is so damn hot.

Both MBAs were freshly started before loading them with the apps in this order.
Brightness for the screen and keyboard were identical.

Apps:
Dropbox running in the background, nothing being downloaded
Safari with 8 tabs of Apple.com
PPT, Word & Excel with a blank doc
Playing 3 movies, 1 on VLC, 2 on QT
Handbrake encoding the same movie

Findings:
Heat: The I7 heated up much faster.
ON THE AVERAGE,
iStat Pro showed the enclosure base 1/2/3 at 40/40/36deg celsius vs 37/37/36 on the I5. I5 was consistently cooler by 3deg c throughout for the enclosure & heatsink B. HD temp was 78 vs 62 (I7/I5). The Airport card, Mem Bank & Controller were largely similar on both machines.

The I7 fans kicked in at 2min and got to 6500rpm within another 2min compared to the I5 kicked in after 6min and took about 15min to reach 6500rpm.

The area around the function keys was burning on the I7 and noticeably less hot on the I5.

Comfort: Running at full blast, the I7 is definitely hotter to the touch than the I5. The palm area flanking the trackpad is hotter on the I7, enough to make me want to not use the cmptr.

Misc performance:
Starting at the same time, the Handbrake encode initially showed a 10% difference in progress (i.e I5 at 5%, I7 at 15%). But when the I5 was at 50% done, the I7 showed 55%, ie the gap got smaller.

The I5 consistently showed that it has 30min more juice than the I7, though I never ran the test that far. Everything starting at the same time, there was a 10% diff in the battery readout (which slowly grew to 15% diff), though the I7 had 5 charge cycles vs 2 cycles on the I5. Not a really exact test but that wasn't the obj of my comparison.

There were 0 page outs despite all the action going on.

Cooling down:
All the apps were closed at the same time, save for one page in Safari.

The I5 fans slowed down first, 1min later the I7 slowed too. Oddly, the I7 dropped sharply to idle fan speed after 2min whereas the I5 took another 3min to do so.

I let both systems idle for 20min and then took these readings.

Enclosure temp were 34/34/33 on the I7, 35/35/34 on the I5.
HD temp was 36/50, heatsink 32/35 (I7/I5).

Even though the insides of the MBA cooled down, the palm area was initially warmer on the I7 than on the I5 and then it reversed, odd huh? I really didn't expect that.

The whole test took 1hr 15 min, final batt remaining is 44%, 5h 46min on the I7 remaining, and 53%, 5hr 43min on the I5 (I5 had 3 fewer charge cycles, prob not calibrated yet).

I'll be using the I5 more over the next few days, I'll post if I have anything to add.

Make of this what you will, hope it'll help some of you come to a decision.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I'm running a comparison test for the 11", I5/8/256 and I7/8/256. I was trying to determine which of the machines produced more heat as it makes it more difficult to work if the keyboard is so damn hot.

Both MBAs were freshly started before loading them with the apps in this order.
Brightness for the screen and keyboard were identical.

Apps:
Dropbox running in the background, nothing being downloaded
Safari with 8 tabs of Apple.com
PPT, Word & Excel with a blank doc
Playing 3 movies, 1 on VLC, 2 on QT
Handbrake encoding the same movie

Findings:
Heat: The I7 heated up much faster.
ON THE AVERAGE,
iStat Pro showed the enclosure base 1/2/3 at 40/40/36deg celsius vs 37/37/36 on the I5. I5 was consistently cooler by 3deg c throughout for the enclosure & heatsink B. HD temp was 78 vs 62 (I7/I5). The Airport card, Mem Bank & Controller were largely similar on both machines.

The I7 fans kicked in at 2min and got to 6500rpm within another 2min compared to the I5 kicked in after 6min and took about 15min to reach 6500rpm.

The area around the function keys was burning on the I7 and noticeably less hot on the I5.

Comfort: Running at full blast, the I7 is definitely hotter to the touch than the I5. The palm area flanking the trackpad is hotter on the I7, enough to make me want to not use the cmptr.

Misc performance:
Starting at the same time, the Handbrake encode initially showed a 10% difference in progress (i.e I5 at 5%, I7 at 15%). But when the I5 was at 50% done, the I7 showed 55%, ie the gap got smaller.

The I5 consistently showed that it has 30min more juice than the I7, though I never ran the test that far. Everything starting at the same time, there was a 10% diff in the battery readout (which slowly grew to 15% diff), though the I7 had 5 charge cycles vs 2 cycles on the I5. Not a really exact test but that wasn't the obj of my comparison.

There were 0 page outs despite all the action going on.

Cooling down:
All the apps were closed at the same time, save for one page in Safari.

The I5 fans slowed down first, 1min later the I7 slowed too. Oddly, the I7 dropped sharply to idle fan speed after 2min whereas the I5 took another 3min to do so.

I let both systems idle for 20min and then took these readings.

Enclosure temp were 34/34/33 on the I7, 35/35/34 on the I5.
HD temp was 36/50, heatsink 32/35 (I7/I5).

Even though the insides of the MBA cooled down, the palm area was initially warmer on the I7 than on the I5 and then it reversed, odd huh? I really didn't expect that.

The whole test took 1hr 15 min, final batt remaining is 44%, 5h 46min on the I7 remaining, and 53%, 5hr 43min on the I5 (I5 had 3 fewer charge cycles, prob not calibrated yet).

I'll be using the I5 more over the next few days, I'll post if I have anything to add.

Make of this what you will, hope it'll help some of you come to a decision.

Which one do you expect you'll end up keeping?

catalyst07

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013
Is this for work purposes or pleasure??? 40 seems like a lot if you're casually surfing the web.

I'm a software engineer, so both. It's nice for quick reference. Many of my friends also do this.

11" Macbook Air 2012 i7 8gb, but right now I'm outputting to my thunderbolt monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.