11" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zodqyv, Jan 17, 2011.

1. zodqyv macrumors regular

11" MacBook Pro coming in 2011?

If so, then how would it differ from the 11" MacBook Air?

There is a lot of talk about the MacBook Pro lineup losing their optical drives. This seems like a logical place to start for an 11" machine. Better graphics options for a 13" without an optical drive also comes up pretty regularly, so that could be a possibility for an 11" machine too.

There is also the option that an 11" Pro would have both the SSD modules from the new Air to boost performance, as well as a traditional 2.5" drive for additional storage. This is only a possibility if the case retains a similar thickness to current models, rather than a further slimmed down build.

Longer battery life would be a given with the thicker and heavier form factor of the Pro line.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

While it would be interesting to see an 11" MBP, it won't happen. The 13" is already difficult to call a "pro," and with an even smaller size, Apple will have a really hard time fitting a decent sized battery AND a platter-based drive alongside the SSD blades. I'm not even talking about a discrete GPU (which definitely won't happen on that size). It's likely that the 11" MBA will remain the only 11" Apple notebook, but it will get more powerful over time.

3. zodqyv thread starter macrumors regular

There are quite a few sources out there saying that there will be an 11" MacBook Pro. It's just a matter of when. Did you miss the part about the missing optical drive? That leaves plenty of room inside for a bigger battery, etc.. Besides, don't you remember the 12" PowerBook G4? Don't be so sure about a small machine being marked "Pro".

As far as the when part goes, there are always prototypes floating around the Apple campus. The most recent rumors suggest 2011, but it could always be later with Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Rockwell... Or ARM.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No there's not. I dare you to find me a reputable source (ie. not just a deranged fanboy). The 12" PB G4 is irrelevant because it's so old. You might as well ask for a new iMac with a CRT screen.

The 13" MBP is already ridiculous, and shouldn't be called anything other than a MacBook with a fancy case. I couldn't stand working on a screen smaller than 15".

An 11" MBP is just not going to happen. If you want one so badly, buy an 11" MBA, and stick a MacBook Pro label under the screen.

5. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Why do people come up with such things for the MBP when all they want is essentially the MBA.

6. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Except a hypothetical 11.6" Pro wouldn't be the 11.6" Air. Don't make it thin, and use the extra space to fit a bigger battery, ethernet, FireWire and maybe a (slightly) faster processor.

7. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I know I sound like a broken record......THERE WILL BE NO 13" PRO AFTER UPDATE. Mark my words. It may very well be the most popular selling MacBook...as far as I see out in the wild...but that being said I see a "hopped" up version of the air replacing the 13"pro after the refresh.

This is totally wonked cause for me as a small business owner the 13"pro fits my needs perfectly. I actually despise the air and dismiss it as a toy.

Apple is on a really bad trend of making toys not powerful machines. It's a disturbing trend that seems to be snowballing. I love what Jobs has done for the company but in a way it maybe a good thing that he takes a leave of absence. I am hoping there is still a few small pockets of people at Apple who realize that the pro market still needs computers and software. Hoping they push for real product updates not more toys.

8. gtimark macrumors member

I agree with you on the 13"! Anything larger -- except maybe a 14" one -- shouldn't be called a laptop. :) Unless, of course, your lap is size LARGE.

I'm contemplating buying a new MBP 13" ... maybe I'd better move on it now, before reason goes out the window as the 13" vanishes from the line-up.

9. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

well not sure I would buy now....I may be totally off base with my prediction . If I am not there will always be refurbs to pick up after the announcement and possibly new old stock that will see a price drop. I am personally waiting to see what happens. My current 2009 unit is fine and the MB Aluminum is performing flawlessly with its SSD drive. As I see it my needs are currently met with the product as of now. I mostly use them for book keeping and such. If they do decide to bag the 13" then I will pick up a refurb or a new old stock unit and hang on to it as a back up.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

an 11" pro machine would have an express card reader, esata, firewire, and ethernet ports as standard. I don't think Apple makes any professional machines though, only prosumer ones.

11. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

The Mac Pro isn't powerful enough for you?

And if the MacBook Pro's are for "prosumers", then the name would still be the same :D

I don't think the 13" MBP should be called a "Pro" as it's basically the same as a white MacBook (with a backlit keyboard and SD card slot.) Hopefully if they keep a 13" MBP they find a way to bump up the CPU/GPU to keep it in line with the 15"/17"

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Last time I checked the 15" MBP is perfectly good at doing what many professionals need from a laptop (This is coming from the creative side though) - Although it having a Quad would make it perfect, even in its current form they can handle FCP, Motion, Logic Pro and just about anything else you care to lob at them. If they cant do it, you probably shouldnt be trying to do it on a laptop...

13. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Don't forget the FW800 port that got it the Pro designation in the first place. ;)

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

So what you are saying is you expect Apple to discontinue their most popular laptop?

15. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

That's right, I forgot the Firewire port...

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

An 11" computer is by any definition an ultraportable. Apple has an excellent one already in MBA. I (very) strongly doubt that we would see an 11" MBP.

17. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Why would you want a 11" MBP.

It defeats the purpose no? I mean a MBP is a "pro" because you "NEED" the little bit extra. Most of the time it's for video editing, music compilation, gaming, or something of that nature. Why in the world would you "need" that little bit extra with only an 11" screen? The 13" MBP is pushing it's limits already.

The MBA's are airs for a reason, they are small, portable. They do their job perfectly well. I feel folks are getting the idea of the two machines to mixed up. It seems people want the portability of the air with the power of the pro... it doesn't exist quite yet... it's coming though.

For now, buy the machine you need. If you want a 11" MBP, you do not need a pro, plain and simple. You want one. Buy the appropriate machine for what you are doing.

18. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't think it will happen. Users who want the portability of 11" can get the air.

19. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If a 11 comes out, I will check it out, provided it has more capability than the current 11 inch Air. If it comes out and is essentially a glorified thousand dollar netbook, then forget it, but I doubt that would be the case. Flash mem is almost for sure given the durability, longevity, and speed advantage. Possibly we might see a more rugged build, interesting keyboard change, track-pad reduction (booo :(), etc. Battery life will obviously be one of the primary advantages as no one buys a 11 inch laptop to keep it plugged in the same place all of its life. Dual core processor is pretty likely as I don't know of an 11 with a quad core. I won't consider it if the selected processor doesn't have at least the capability as the faster (optional) Core 2 Duo used in the MBA and would be more interested if it is faster than the C2D in the current 13.

21. aCondor macrumors 6502

I also heard that Apple is making an 8" MBP. This would clip onto a backpack or fannypack with a lanyard for easy access and portability. Similar to the iPad but for professional use. Also from a very reputable source.

22. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what your sources are, but would you like to show me? Possibly losing the optical drive might allow for better specs in the 13", but that's because the ODD takes up about 30% of the internal space, with ditching the ODD allowing that 30% to be used for other components. As for an 11", it's no longer a case of losing an ODD to fit more stuff. An ODD never would have fit in the 11" at all. Have you seen the 11" MBA's internals on iFixit? Go search up the teardown. That thing is packed tight already. Good luck getting ANYTHING else to fit.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Oh please no to an 11" MBP. I don't want to go back to the time (1990's) when Apple had a bizzillion different configurations of their products.

24. benwizkid macrumors member

benwizkid

With all these little inbetween machines people want they ought to consider some pc laptops.

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The 12" PowerBook is equivalent to today's 13" MacBook Pro. Do not even consider comparing the 12" PB to a (nonexistent) 11" MBA.