Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I am slowly, but surely getting stuck in the Google egosystem. :( I'll give it 5 years or so, Google would have caught them.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I've found that my galaxy S3 has less lag than my iphone 4 or my soon to be brother in laws 4s. As far as speed goes the s3 was either as fast or faster than the 4s.

Makes sense since the S3 is dual-core (or quad-core depending on the model) and the iPhone 4 is single core.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
For one, the very concept of butter confirms what people have been saying about android since day one: It's laggy and/or unresponsive.

The GS3 is a prime example. Transitions are slower than the 4S, returning to home is slower than the 4S, panning between screens is slower than the 4S.

All this stems from android starting as a Blackberry clone, and not being optimized for a touchscreen device. Now Google is going back and trying to shoehorn into an iOS clone, and failing miserably.

I presume you're talking about the American versions, because my S3 is faster than my iPad which uses the same processor as the iPhone as far as I know..

----------

11. Widgets are useless. I spend no time staring at the home screen. I'm either in an app or notification center. A running widget is an unnecessary layer eating resources.

Now this list does not suggest android does nothing right. Not true at all, but these are the main reasons why I dumped android, and probably will not be returning.

On iOS you would have to open your calendar, phone app, SMS app, gmail/mail app, Facebook app and Twitter app to get the same information that I have on my home screen.

Not sure how that qualifies as useless when it saves so much time!

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I presume you're talking about the American versions, because my S3 is faster than my iPad which uses the same processor as the iPhone as far as I know..

----------

On iOS you would have to open your calendar, phone app, SMS app, gmail/mail app, Facebook app and Twitter app to get the same information that I have on my home screen.

You scroll to the widget, we open the app.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
After 6 or so android phones in 3 years, and one tablet, I switched from android to iOS/iPhone/iPad...

Why?

1. It shouldn't be my job to handle hardware and software integration to get android to offer the best performance. This should be done by the device manufacturer and Google. I have a job. I don't need another one.

2. Android is poorly supported by carriers and manufacturers. You'd be lucky to see one major update a year on a brand new device. Apple gave the 3 year old 3GS iOS5. Good luck getting Google to do ICS on a Nexus One. More support is better, especially when talking two year contracts. No more aggravation from 6 months to a year of waiting for an android OS update that will outdated as soon as it is released. No more looking for shady ROMS from lord knows where.

3. The games selection sucks on android. iOS gets all the big budget titles from big name developers. Also Infinity Blade 2 works on a 3 year old 3GS. Good luck getting a high end android game to run on anything from 2009

4. Android is way too resource hungry, and poorly engineered, which makes it inconsistent, unstable with more UI lag than iOS. iOS is smooth, stable and allows me to do what I really want to be doing, which is not tweaking roms to get acceptable performance and stability.

5. Apple doesn't sell a bad iPhone. You can bank on that. With android plenty of suck phones are sold to the public on purpose.

6. All the Google ecosystem apps I need on android are also on iOS. (Search, Voice, Maps, Youtube, Gmail, etc etc)

7. iOS has greater cohesiveness between apps, OS features and hardware. With android you can tell there is almost zero synergy between apps, hardware and OS. Apple's mobile ecosystem is unmatched. Also iOS has the best app selection in the business outside of a Windows PC.

8. iOS versions of apps look and flow better than android versions because developers prefer iOS and give it their A team, more development time and more money.

9. Android phones depreciate quickly making them poor value purchases. Anything Apple will always keep its value better and longer. I can already get used One X's and GNote's for less than a used 16GB iPhone 4S.

10. Fragmentation...The fact that Google is pushing Jelly Bean and ICS barely has double digit penetration is utterly pathetic, hinders app development and ruins the user experience in a huge way.

11. Widgets are useless. I spend no time staring at the home screen. I'm either in an app or notification center. A running widget is an unnecessary layer eating resources.

Now this list does not suggest android does nothing right. Not true at all, but these are the main reasons why I dumped android, and probably will not be returning.

With all the things above that you describe as wrong, I would have been tempted to switch to iOS and iPhone a lot quicker than the 3 years and 6 Android phones that it took you. Seems an awful long time to me. Really, took you that long to figure it out? Lol.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

Most people never have a need to access all that information at once. I can't even imagine when I would need to simultaneously see any of that, especially with a notification center and alerts. Your mileage may vary. I've asked before what kind of use case needs to see all or any of that at once - what it lets you do that actually saves time - and usually get no answer or anger. Maybe you could explain. Thanks.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Excellent reply. Completely true.

That's why I say Android is actually easier to use than iOS. I can see my rss, Facebook updates and weather all at the same time in one screen.

I can turn Wi-Fi on, 3G off and more way faster than on iOS.

I can see all my new notifications in the status bar directly with their icons. No need to open the notification tray.

I can make calls with one tap with my contacts widget (or icon).

I can access any app I want from the lockscreen with the shortcuts.

I can see the weather from the lockscreen.

All of this and more is faster and more simple and easy on Android.

Yesterday I downloaded a new tv show episode directly on my SGS3. I didn't want to turn on my iMac to do that and I did it all from my couch.

Beat that iOS.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
So every single widget you have is on one screen? I find that hard to believe.

I have these widgets:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jappka.blingboard&hl=en (Facebook/Twitter/SMS/email/phone)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...29sYWkuYnVjaC5hbmRlcnNlbi5nbGFzc3dpZGdldHMiXQ.. (calendar)

Most people never have a need to access all that information at once. I can't even imagine when I would need to simultaneously see any of that, especially with a notification center and alerts. Your mileage may vary. I've asked before what kind of use case needs to see all or any of that at once - what it lets you do that actually saves time - and usually get no answer or anger. Maybe you could explain. Thanks.

Well rather than checking my Facebook, checking my Twitter, checking my mails, SMS and phone... I just look at my homescreen. I thought the time saving was self-evident :p

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
That's why I say Android is actually easier to use than iOS. I can see my rss, Facebook updates and weather all at the same time in one screen.

Why do you need to see your facebook updates and weather at the same time? I check the weather in the morning and later in the day; being able to see it next to some unrelated data doesn't help. Please explain.

This has nothing to do with simultaneous display of app information.

I can see all my new notifications in the status bar directly with their icons. No need to open the notification tray.

I do not see how the time spent swiping down makes any actual time savings. The savings is statistically meaningless in a world of lines, red lights, and so on. Any time you save will be drowned out by other things in your life. It's like leaving the cap off your toothpaste to save time - I have a hard time believing anybody is that busy. What seems to me even faster is just getting alerts instead of firing up my device to look at the home screen.

This has nothing to do with simultaneous display of app information which is what I'm asking about. Neither do your remaining points, so I've omitted them.

Well rather than checking my Facebook, checking my Twitter, checking my mails, SMS and phone... I just look at my homescreen. I thought the time saving was self-evident :p

No, restating your point doesn't explain how it saves time over just responding to alerts and using notification center. To save time, I just don't bother 'checking' my phone all the time; I let it tell me if there's something important. I check FB once a day (more if I get alerts that there's something relevant), Twitter twice a day, phone when it rings. I still don't get why I would save time seeing all of this at once - if there was anything new to see I would already have been alerted to it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
No, restating your point doesn't explain how it saves time over just responding to alerts and using notification center. To save time, I just don't bother 'checking' my phone all the time; I let it tell me if there's something important. I check FB once a day (more if I get alerts that there's something relevant), Twitter twice a day, phone when it rings. I still don't get why I would save time seeing all of this at once - if there was anything new to see I would already have been alerted to it.

I can see posts in the widget itself rather than having to load and switch between each app to see what the notifications refer to. You only get a summary in notifications and then have to load the app to see the entire post.

The widget also lets you look at past posts and notifications too.

This is a bit tit for tat... it's down to preference really.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Why do you need to see your facebook updates and weather at the same time? I check the weather in the morning and later in the day; being able to see it next to some unrelated data doesn't help. Please explain.

You are over thinking it too much.

If something can be done faster, whether it's checking weather or making a call, it's gonna be always better. No need for further explanation...

Saying no one needs to see all that information at once is no excuse. I don't need to watch two movies at the same time but I can watch one and record the other using a DVR.

Do you see what I mean?

If it can be done faster it's better and there's no need to explain more...........

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I can see posts in the widget itself rather than having to load and switch between each app to see what the notifications refer to. You only get a summary in notifications and then have to load the app to see the entire post.

I really don't get it - I get an alert (which says what the post is), and know right away if it's important. You look at the widget, and know if it's important. I don't see the difference.

This is a bit tit for tat... it's down to preference really.

Fair enough, you seemed to say it was obviously better/faster.

If something can be done faster, whether it's checking weather or making a call, it's gonna be always better. No need for further explanation...

1) You haven't explained how your use of widgets is faster than my use of notification center and alerts.
2) Seeing my Twitter feed next to an SMS feed doesn't make anything faster. Or my FB feed next to constantly-updated weather. I would like an example, is that too much to ask? It just seems like it appeals to people who compulsively check their phones and like seeing the numbers and text dance around - so I'm trying to understand people who actually find it saves time.

Saying no one needs to see all that information at once is no excuse. I don't need to watch two movies at the same time but I can watch one and record the other using a DVR.

Do you see what I mean?

Saying 'nobody needs to see that at once' is relevant if seeing it all at once doesn't actually solve any problem. I don't get your analogy because I'm interested in why people think these multiple info streams at once is faster than how I and many others use their phones.

If it can be done faster it's better and there's no need to explain more...........

Again, I don't see what it is you're doing faster, unless you have to check every app every time you use your phone.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I really don't get it - I get an alert (which says what the post is), and know right away if it's important. You look at the widget, and know if it's important. I don't see the difference.

I explained the differences but you appear to have skimmed over my post :p

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I explained the differences but you appear to have skimmed over my post :p

No, I responded to them - seeing the whole post vs. what notifications show you is not going to make a difference in actual usage (unless your reference point is someone who opens every app every time they use their phone), and the remainder of what you brought up has nothing to do with simultaneous widgets.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

1) You haven't explained how your use of widgets is faster than my use of notification center and alerts.
2) Seeing my Twitter feed next to an SMS feed doesn't make anything faster. Or my FB feed next to constantly-updated weather. I would like an example, is that too much to ask? It just seems like it appeals to people who compulsively check their phones and like seeing the numbers and text dance around - so I'm trying to understand people who actually find it saves time.

Saying 'nobody needs to see that at once' is relevant if seeing it all at once doesn't actually solve any problem. I don't get your analogy because I'm interested in why people think these multiple info streams at once is faster than how I and many others use their phones.

Again, I don't see what it is you're doing faster, unless you have to check every app every time you use your phone.

I really don't understand what more do I need to explain you to make you see what I mean... it's pretty easy to understand... the DVR example was perfect.

Again: it doesn't matter at ALL if there is no case scenario for you when you would need to access all that info at once. It's completely irrelevant whether there comes a time when you need to do this or not. It's like saying you only need one bathroom in your house because there is no need for more... it's always better to have two bathrooms. Now I'm getting confused... :D:D

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Excellent reply. Completely true.

I can access any app I want from the lockscreen with the shortcuts.

I can see the weather from the lockscreen.

All of this and more is faster and more simple and easy on Android.

Yesterday I downloaded a new tv show episode directly on my SGS3. I didn't want to turn on my iMac to do that and I did it all from my couch.

Beat that iOS.

And why doesn't iOS freaking have smart dialing?! That's been around since the Windows Mobile days!!! I think even PalmOS had that. Such a simple feature that they have yet to incorporate. :confused:

----------

I really don't understand what more do I need to explain you to make you see what I mean... it's pretty easy to understand... the DVR example was perfect.

Again: it doesn't matter at ALL if there is no case scenario for you when you would need to access all that info at once. It's completely irrelevant whether there comes a time when you need to do this or not. It's like saying you only need one bathroom in your house because there is no need for more... it's always better to have two bathrooms. Now I'm getting confused... :D:D

Don't waste your time with close minded people. It's pointless. If people are happy with their iOS universe, let them be :p

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012

You keep sticking to this "at the same time" argument, and you're right, you don't need all this simultaneously. But how about one after the other? Let's say I wake up in the morning and I want to know the weather for today, see if there's any shocking news stories, and check what my friends are doing. In iOS, you open up the calendar app, close it, possibly swipe to the next screen, and open up another app, and so on and so forth. Instead of having to do that in Android, all you have to do is look at a different part of your homescreen in order to see what you need to know for the day.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
No, I responded to them - seeing the whole post vs. what notifications show you is not going to make a difference in actual usage (unless your reference point is someone who opens every app every time they use their phone), and the remainder of what you brought up has nothing to do with simultaneous widgets.

As I also explained, I can look at past posts using the widget. Unlike notifications, they don't disappear in the widget once you look at them, you actually have to tap a mark as read button to get rid of them.

Anyway..I have both an iPad and Galaxy S3 and find it a lot easier to check stuff on my S3 for reasons I've already given.

Also, with regards to my calendar, I can see up and coming events rather than only events I'm being reminded about.

That's fine, but again, do you have those two widgets on your main / middle screen?

Yeah. I don't have any app shortcuts on my home screen, only widgets. I use the dock for app shortcuts. The launcher I'm using lets me have a scrolling dock, so I have 15 icons at the bottom which take me to my most used apps. Five are displayed at any one time and I just swipe left/right to get to the others.

I'll take screenshots later.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Here's a real world example. I don't check my voicemails immediately when I get them. I typically go through my voicemails when I'm using my phone for something else. So let's say I get a text message and I already had a voicemail or two. I can turn my phone on and see my voicemail and text message at the same time. Instead of having to go to each thing one by one, I can deal with both of them from the homescreen. It's a time saver and just flat out more convenient.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
having recently moved to android (galaxy s3) after being with iOS since the launch of the iphone 3G, the one really big thing that stands out for me with android is the word 'choice'. You don't have to use widgets, and you could set up an android phone exactly like iOS, yet you have the option to do so. You don't have to install new launchers or keyboards or messaging apps etc yet you have the option to do so. I was a big fan of iOS but having now tried android I feel apple is too restrictive. One size does not fit all. Some people love the iOS keyboard for example, some people hate it but apple believe its the best so you can't change it. I'm sure their software engineers are clever enough to write the OS in such a way that having keyboard apps or alternative sms apps or alternative browser apps (that can be set as default) etc does not cause security issues. Until they do this I do not see myself returning to iOS. I'm actually amazed at how fluid Ice cream sandwich is and with jelly bean hopefully coming to the S3 in a few months, all is good away from iOS. Sad for a long term apple fan, but true

thelezzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
I knew all the Android fanboys would flock here and offer up their excuses.

I am an android fan, apple fan and a microsoft fan perhaps not a fanboy and I have no comment in regards to this.

Those flamboyant who accuses OP of making in invalid excuses ends up making equally invalid excuses themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.