Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Nearly two years ago I posted this thread...

11 simple reasons why I dumped Android for the iPhone 4S/iOS
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404024/

Well here I am with an S5, and it easily replaced my iPhone 5S

Keep in mind I am only talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5, so if you have something else, your experience may be different

1. Kitkat. Android performance and stability got a massive bump with Kitkat. Especially with the ART runtime, while the iPhone took a step backwards in terms of stability with iOS7.

2. 12 month upgrade no contract plans on AT&T. You think I care if my S5 gets the next version of android. This phone is getting replaced in about 10.5 months. The poor carrier/manufacturer updates and support associated with android means nothing to me. If my next phone is an android phone it will be another flagship that launches with the current version of android.

3. Game selection on android is vastly better and now they actually run as well as the iOS iterations. Again, I am only referring the Samsung Galaxy S5.

4. Android got smooth. The UI frame rates are solid, the scrolling is the smoothest I've ever seen. Still a touch behind iOS in terms of browsers, but close enough to where it doesn't matter.

5. The S5 screen blows the iPhone screen out the water. AMOLED has come a long way since even last year. It's vivid, bright, with surreal contrast. And it's incredibly immersive because of the size. I'm sorry but the disparity between screen sizes just got too big. I like my big screen and won't consider any small screen iPhones ever again.

6. The android ecosystem has gotten very good in terms of support from device makers. Still not iOS level but close enough to where it doesn't matter. Everything I need support for is present.

7. Android apps play nicer together. For example, you hit the share button in an app and 15 apps pop up where you can instantly populate information. Inter-app communication is vastly ahead of where iOS is.

8. Easy storage upgrades. With Dropbox and an SD card I've got an extra 45gb of storage. Real storage so I can literally dump anything into dropbox, or get a new SD card for even more memory. iOS dropbox support is very limited in comparison and internal memory cost on the iPhone is freaking ridiculous expense. Because Dropbox acts as a filesystem, it is more versatile on android as well.

9. Widgets. for example: I've got a Beats, Google Music, Pandora, and stock Music widget all on the home screen. I can switch tracks and apps for music without ever opening a single app. Google Now tells me all kinds of relevant things at a glance. My twitter feed is always up and I can scroll through it. Again, all without ever opening an app to switching between them. It's always up for me to see and use. Try it for a month then go back to iOS's double tap to multitask, and tell me it's better.

10. Fragmentation is irrelevent now. My upgrade is 10.5 months away and it will have a newer version of android.

11. 2 apps at once. Yesterday I was watching Game of Thrones and playing on Macrumors at the same time. Yeah, it's awesome and works great. Why the hell isn't Apple doing this? Maybe then I wouldn't have to live through constant reloading apps in iOS.

Now this list does not suggest iOS sucks and does nothing right, or that I won't be getting an iPhone 6. These are just the reasons I got my S5, kept it, and made it my daily driver.

Bonus features:

Awesome phone. And I use S-Health often for heart rate, pedometer and calorie counter all in one app. Having that widget on the lock screen showing my run distances in very convenient as well. On the iPhone I'd have to unlock the screen, open the app and then see the content. Androids "glance and go" is a real asset.

DAC and EQ. Audio quality on the S5 sounds better with the Apple EarPods and with my car. The EQ makes a huge difference.

Final point
I gave android a chance last year with the S4 and it was horrible, and probably the worst phone I owned since the AT&T S2. Laggy, crappy DAC, slow, poor brightness screen. Just a bad experience all around.

Kitkat and the S5 is a vastly better product and for me at least, a way better phone than the iPhone 5S. Point being, not all android phones are created equal so choose wisely.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Nearly two years ago I posted this thread...

11 simple reasons why I dumped Android for the iPhone 4S/iOS
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404024/

Well here I am with an S5, and it easily replaced my iPhone 5S

Keep in mind I am only talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5, so if you have something else, your experience may be different

1. Kitkat. Android performance and stability got a massive bump with Kitkat. Especially with the ART runtime, while the iPhone took a step backwards in terms of stability with iOS7.

2. 12 month upgrade no contract plans on AT&T. You think I care if my S5 gets the next version of android. This phone is getting replaced in about 10.5 months. The poor carrier/manufacturer updates and support associated with android means nothing to me. If my next phone is an android phone it will be another flagship that launches with the current version of android.

3. Game selection on android is vastly better and now they actually run as well as the iOS iterations. Again, I am only referring the Samsung Galaxy S5.

4. Android got smooth. The UI frame rates are solid, the scrolling is the smoothest I've ever seen. Still a touch behind iOS in terms of browsers, but close enough to where it doesn't matter.

5. The S5 screen blows the iPhone screen out the water. AMOLED has come a long way since even last year. It's vivid, bright, with surreal contrast. And it's incredibly immersive because of the size. I'm sorry but the disparity between screen sizes just got too big. I like my big screen and won't consider any small screen iPhones ever again.

6. The android ecosystem has gotten very good in terms of support from device makers. Still not iOS level but close enough to where it doesn't matter. Everything I need support for is present.

7. Android apps play nicer together. For example, you hit the share button in an app and 15 apps pop up where you can instantly populate information. Inter-app communication is vastly ahead of where iOS is.

8. Easy storage upgrades. With Dropbox and an SD card I've got an extra 45gb of storage. Real storage so I can literally dump anything into dropbox, or get a new SD card for even more memory. iOS dropbox support is very limited in comparison and internal memory cost on the iPhone is freaking ridiculous expense. Because Dropbox acts as a filesystem, it is more versatile on android as well.

9. Widgets. for example: I've got a Beats, Google Music, Pandora, and stock Music widget all on the home screen. I can switch tracks and apps for music without ever opening a single app. Google Now tells me all kinds of relevant things at a glance. My twitter feed is always up and I can scroll through it. Again, all without ever opening an app to switching between them. It's always up for me to see and use. Try it for a month then go back to iOS's double tap to multitask, and tell me it's better.

10. Fragmentation is irrelevent now. My upgrade is 10.5 months away and it will have a newer version of android.

11. 2 apps at once. Yesterday I was watching Game of Thrones and playing on Macrumors at the same time. Yeah, it's awesome and works great. Why the hell isn't Apple doing this? Maybe then I wouldn't have to live through constant reloading apps in iOS.

Now this list does not suggest iOS sucks and does nothing right, or that I won't be getting an iPhone 6. These are just the reasons I got my S5, kept it, and made it my daily driver.

Bonus features:

Awesome phone. And I use S-Health often for heart rate, pedometer and calorie counter all in one app. Having that widget on the lock screen showing my run distances in very convenient as well. On the iPhone I'd have to unlock the screen, open the app and then see the content. Androids "glance and go" is a real asset.

DAC and EQ. Audio quality on the S5 sounds better with the Apple EarPods and with my car. The EQ makes a huge difference.

Final point
I gave android a chance last year with the S4 and it was horrible, and probably the worst phone I owned since the AT&T S2. Laggy, crappy DAC, slow, poor brightness screen. Just a bad experience all around
Great write up......I think you captured why a lot of us have Android phones. Notifications are better too.....

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I dislike touch wiz. But to each there own.

I have a Nexus 4 that Ill be looking to replace with an iPhone again or a new Lumia WP.

----------

Great write up......I think you captured why a lot of us have Android phones. Notifications are better too.....

Except the LS notifications and banners are better on the iPhone...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Except the LS notifications and banners are better on the iPhone...

I felt the same, then I got Glance for Qualcomm. Balances things out quite a bit. The LS notifications work about as well.

And I like Touchwiz over stock android. Over all android skins. Been the case since the GS2.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I felt the same, then I got Glance for Qualcomm. Balances things out quite a bit. The LS notifications work about as well.

And I like Touchwiz over stock android. Over all android skins. Been the case since the GS2.

I see. I prefer Sense or the LG skin but touch wiz doesn't look well designed. IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion for Glance. Ill have a look.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Thanks for Glance for Qualcomm......looks good. Gonna install it and check it out......

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Damn ...... Is the S5 really that much better than the S4(my current device)? I'm so tempted to get one, but I'm waiting on the Note 4.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I understand most of the reasons, but saying that games are better on Android is not correct. It's the opposite..

I have an HTC One M8 and I love it, but games are still better on iOS.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Damn ...... Is the S5 really that much better than the S4(my current device)? I'm so tempted to get one, but I'm waiting on the Note 4.

I would never of bought a S4 as I was a iphone fan at the time, but am loving my S5 coming from a 5S by way of a Note 3, Moto G, and M8. I will be looking at the Note 4 for sure.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
For me the important thing is the ability to truly choose what software I want to use (iOS forces Safari to be default browser for example) and not having its performance crippled by artificial restrictions (JS performance Safari vs other browsers on iOS) plus having an actual filesystem.

That said, I think my next Android phone will be something a bit smaller and with as much stock Android OS as possible, so probably something from Motorola or Google. I have a Galaxy S4 and it's somewhat awkward to use one handed even though I like the large screen (to the point where I sold my iPad 3 because I never used it after getting the S4).

I would be fine with iOS if it offered more freedom for the user. Not allowing for example Firefox due to it having its own browser engine is also complete ********.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Enjoy :)

I'm looking forward to ios 8 and the phablet sized iPhone to see how it can compete / differ to offer a more phablet experience this year too.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Folks going to the S5 from the iPhone 5S made me take notice. It was what I have done just the other day. I followed the S5 thread and figured I give it a go. Nothing to lose for a couple of weeks at least and since I was not using the 5S much anyway, ....

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Thanks! I never heard of Glance, as soon as I read your thread I downloaded it, runs nice on my Nexus 5 and it's pretty useful.

Cheers mate. :)

tcc1

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
The tweaks are available within the settings of all recent Android phones in a section called “Developer options.”

This section might be hidden on some phones, but it’s very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if it’s currently hidden (for example, search “enable developer options HTC One”).

Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an “Advanced” subsection:

Window animation scale

Transition animation scale

Animator animation scale

Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that it’s set to “1x” by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to “.5x” — that’s it...restart your device

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
IMO Glance and Nils were battery drainers. I just dont feel i need LS notifications if it does that. They arent that big a deal to me.

Im interested in what games you guys plays. There are so many i dont know whats good.

I have Candy Crush just to put that out there and tried a new one called Hay Day that i saw a commercial for on TV.....BORING! And ive played the Family Guy game but im looking for something better.

Just looking for a few suggestions.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
IMO Glance and Nils were battery drainers. I just dont feel i need LS notifications if it does that. They arent that big a deal to me.

Im interested in what games you guys plays. There are so many i dont know whats good.

I have Candy Crush just to put that out there and tried a new one called Hay Day that i saw a commercial for on TV.....BORING! And ive played the Family Guy game but im looking for something better.

Just looking for a few suggestions.

I play Temple Run 2, Plants vs. Zombies 2, Zombie Gunship, Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds, Angry Birds Star Wars, Flappy Bird.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Agree with #7.

I used Pocket on both platforms and tapping share I can easily add the article to the app. With iOS, there are extra steps. I also like Android's version of Viber more than iOS' round circle photos and cramped screen.

For me, I only need about 3 reasons -

- Swipe gestures like swiping up linked to Screen Off & Lock to close screen

- Ability to move files into different folders using ES File Explorer

- No reliance on iTunes/iCloud/proprietary handcuffs

The rest like sideloading apps, Bluetooth file transfer, SwiftKey, TubeMate, etc are just icing on the cake.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I am currently an iPhone user, but I will admit a huge feature that Apple HAS GOT TO GET!!!! ***(you hear me Tim?)*** is true multitasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.