Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Google is going to add the always listening feature to more phones. I read it was all Android phones but i dont think that can happen. Id guess probably more recent ones.

Also i have a Nexus 5 and there are things i miss from my GS3 like split screen, better volume, the calender blows pure Androids away.

At first I liked the idea of split screen but after having a note 2 I never used it.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I respond the he second part first--absolutely Apple is guilty of including bloatware on their devices, though I'd argue that it's generally a bit less intrusive. On all of my iDevices I have a folder of included apps that I never touch set on a back page out of the way.

The bloatware that I generally find more problematic is that included by carriers on carrier branded devices. I believe this is a bigger issue here in the US. I haven't used a carrier branded phone is while because of this issue, and seem to recall there were instances where I was unable to disable some apps (but don't quote me on that ;)). My Sony Xperia Z1 Compact has quite of Sony placed bloatware that even after disabling seems to on occasion rear its head.

My personal issues with 'bloat' per se have more to do with a bloated OS or skin (hint hint) that has so much imbedded functionality/feature, much of which I personally find little value in, that it bogs down the entire user experience. ;)

I get these points T, in fact, my carrier (O2) has quite a bit of this bloatware, I tend to delete most of it but after each update of the OS it returns anew (Just had a thought, I don't normally leave it on the phone long enough to see if it actually a problem, I may test it out next update). I wasn't having a go at Apple, I certainly did the same as you and hid the unwanted apps in a folder and forever forgot them, the ones on Android that can't be deleted (I don't like to root, I'm too old and too thick tbh:))I do the same. What I was trying to get over was that I don't really think the so called bloatware on either platforms is really a problem. (well not for me anyway). :)

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
How is it not relevant? Samsung makes ****** phones that sells. It upsets me since there are WAY better phones like the G3 or M8 or Sony Z2.

I don't understand your point mate, now Samsung make **** phones ? I guess people like to waste money.....

Upset you ? Get a grip ! I don't know how something like that can upset you :confused:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
How is it not relevant? Samsung makes ****** phones that sells. It upsets me since there are WAY better phones like the G3 or M8 or Sony Z2.

Thats your opinion. I dont agree at all and the millions of others that buy them dont agree either. I was quite happy with my GS3. The only thing i dont like on them is the bloatware and you can either disable it, or root and get rid of it.

What you think is better isnt perhaps what others think is better. I for instance dont think the M8 is better and have no interest in buying one and ill probably never buy a Sony phone and it hasnt had great reviews from those that ive seen that had one. If you think it is so good, why havent you got one?

I dont know why it upsets you anyways. What do you care what others buy? Should anyone in here be upset that you are using your iPhone? I sure dont care.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Thats your opinion. I dont agree at all and the millions of others that buy them dont agree either. I was quite happy with my GS3. The only thing i dont like on them is the bloatware and you can either disable it, or root and get rid of it.

What you think is better isnt perhaps what others think is better. I for instance dont think the M8 is better and have no interest in buying one and ill probably never buy a Sony phone and it hasnt had great reviews from those that ive seen that had one. If you think it is so good, why havent you got one?

I dont know why it upsets you anyways. What do you care what others buy? Should anyone in here be upset that you are using your iPhone? I sure dont care.

LOL! Who said I have an iPhone? I've stated multiple times I have a Nexus 4. This little beast might not even get upgraded this year or next since I recently got a rMBP:eek:

----------

I don't understand your point mate, now Samsung make **** phones ? I guess people like to waste money.....

Upset you ? Get a grip ! I don't know how something like that can upset you :confused:
Relax lol. I don't mean it seriously upsets me. I'm just annoyed at people looking at ads, buying a Samsung device without research.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Nearly two years ago I posted this thread...

11 simple reasons why I dumped Android for the iPhone 4S/iOS
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404024/

Well here I am with an S5, and it easily replaced my iPhone 5S

Keep in mind I am only talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5, so if you have something else, your experience may be different

1. Kitkat. Android performance and stability got a massive bump with Kitkat. Especially with the ART runtime, while the iPhone took a step backwards in terms of stability with iOS7.

2. 12 month upgrade no contract plans on AT&T. You think I care if my S5 gets the next version of android. This phone is getting replaced in about 10.5 months. The poor carrier/manufacturer updates and support associated with android means nothing to me. If my next phone is an android phone it will be another flagship that launches with the current version of android.

3. Game selection on android is vastly better and now they actually run as well as the iOS iterations. Again, I am only referring the Samsung Galaxy S5.

4. Android got smooth. The UI frame rates are solid, the scrolling is the smoothest I've ever seen. Still a touch behind iOS in terms of browsers, but close enough to where it doesn't matter.

5. The S5 screen blows the iPhone screen out the water. AMOLED has come a long way since even last year. It's vivid, bright, with surreal contrast. And it's incredibly immersive because of the size. I'm sorry but the disparity between screen sizes just got too big. I like my big screen and won't consider any small screen iPhones ever again.

6. The android ecosystem has gotten very good in terms of support from device makers. Still not iOS level but close enough to where it doesn't matter. Everything I need support for is present.

7. Android apps play nicer together. For example, you hit the share button in an app and 15 apps pop up where you can instantly populate information. Inter-app communication is vastly ahead of where iOS is.

8. Easy storage upgrades. With Dropbox and an SD card I've got an extra 45gb of storage. Real storage so I can literally dump anything into dropbox, or get a new SD card for even more memory. iOS dropbox support is very limited in comparison and internal memory cost on the iPhone is freaking ridiculous expense. Because Dropbox acts as a filesystem, it is more versatile on android as well.

9. Widgets. for example: I've got a Beats, Google Music, Pandora, and stock Music widget all on the home screen. I can switch tracks and apps for music without ever opening a single app. Google Now tells me all kinds of relevant things at a glance. My twitter feed is always up and I can scroll through it. Again, all without ever opening an app to switching between them. It's always up for me to see and use. Try it for a month then go back to iOS's double tap to multitask, and tell me it's better.

10. Fragmentation is irrelevent now. My upgrade is 10.5 months away and it will have a newer version of android.

11. 2 apps at once. Yesterday I was watching Game of Thrones and playing on Macrumors at the same time. Yeah, it's awesome and works great. Why the hell isn't Apple doing this? Maybe then I wouldn't have to live through constant reloading apps in iOS.

Now this list does not suggest iOS sucks and does nothing right, or that I won't be getting an iPhone 6. These are just the reasons I got my S5, kept it, and made it my daily driver.

Bonus features:

Awesome phone. And I use S-Health often for heart rate, pedometer and calorie counter all in one app. Having that widget on the lock screen showing my run distances in very convenient as well. On the iPhone I'd have to unlock the screen, open the app and then see the content. Androids "glance and go" is a real asset.

DAC and EQ. Audio quality on the S5 sounds better with the Apple EarPods and with my car. The EQ makes a huge difference.

Final point
I gave android a chance last year with the S4 and it was horrible, and probably the worst phone I owned since the AT&T S2. Laggy, crappy DAC, slow, poor brightness screen. Just a bad experience all around.

Kitkat and the S5 is a vastly better product and for me at least, a way better phone than the iPhone 5S. Point being, not all android phones are created equal so choose wisely.

Otherwise I agree with you. Except you have just 10 relevant reasons.

With iOS 7 Apple actually took step forward with overall stability. Since iOS 7 I have experienced far less app crashes in overall compared to iOS 6 in the same time frame.

Thought I guess this has something more to do with 3rd party developers than anything else.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
LOL! Who said I have an iPhone? I've stated multiple times I have a Nexus 4. This little beast might not even get upgraded this year or next since I recently got a rMBP:eek:

----------

Relax lol. I don't mean it seriously upsets me. I'm just annoyed at people looking at ads, buying a Samsung device without research.

Well HTC needs to get a grip and start taking notes, atleast here in the Caribbean LG started advertisement of the phones and pushing tv's harder.

They have great hardware/software , they just need to make people think the One series is the superior phone.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Well HTC needs to get a grip and start taking notes, atleast here in the Caribbean LG started advertisement of the phones and pushing tv's harder.

They have great hardware/software , they just need to make people think the One series is the superior phone.

Yeah I wish they would advertise more:(

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Whatever your running iOS 8 on. iPhone, iPad...the point is, i dont care and it doesnt upset me.

Again, why does that upset/annoy you? If i didnt have a Nexus 5, i may have got a S5...or not but id consider it. I didnt care for the M8.
My Daughter has one after having a GS3. She never really considered anything else after i showed her a few others.
I think it runs fast and smooth and its a good device. I disabled the crap she doesnt need and it is in ART mode. Runs great.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

----------

You are 16 and annoyed at people? :roll eyes: You need to get out of your bedroom into the real world:p

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
I am currently an iPhone user, but I will admit a huge feature that Apple HAS GOT TO GET!!!! ***(you hear me Tim?)*** is true multitasking.

Haha, it's 1998/OS 9 all over again. True multitasking probably hasn't been developed since all IOS devices run on measly 1 gig of ram. Thats also probably the same reason IOS is so good at managing what little ram said devices have, no real multi app support.

I love my galaxy note 10.1 2014 edit tablet BTW. Using my s pen and swipe to tap this out, actually.

----------

I have an lg g2, and as nice a phone as it is, samsung comes out on top because of their "bloat ware." Is iLife or Pages bloatware.? Samsung apps I find are very useful, I Love multi window and S Note. LG needs more proprietary apps and support, their multi window implementation qslide pales in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.