Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11 vs 13 mba

Votes: 370 48.6%

Votes: 391 51.4%

• Total voters

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
which did you buy/which will you buy:

smaller form factor

longer batter
faster cpu

shstiger2009

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
13. Better battery life, bigger screen and bigger SSD did it for me. I need more than 64 GB of space but 128 is just right. Probably have about 70GB of data and that leaves a lot of space for the future.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
The 11" was tempting but I went with the 13". I do alot of remote desktop connections to Windows servers and the screen was easier to manage on the 13"...no vertical scrolling like on the 11" so that was really the deciding factor for me.

savner

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Owned both

I was replacing my 2008 15 MBP and at first I bought the maxed 11 and found the screen size/dimensions too small for my liking. Apple was nice enough to let me return at no charge for a maxed 13 and I love it.

The difference in portability is minimal and for the additional screen real estate it is worth carrying around the extra inch in width and inch+ in length.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
The 11" is useless, except for maybe journalists needing something compact to take notes with. It's not even a good web surfing machine due to it's odd screen size. If I needed something ultra small I would just as soon get a Hackintosh for 300 bucks. I thought I wanted on until I went to the Apple store and played around with one. Changed my mind totally and got the 13" model. It's got the same screen real estate as my old 15" MBP and plenty of horsepower under the hood. Plus it's still remarkably small and lightweight.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
that is a very harsh conclusion !!

The 11" is useless, except for maybe journalists needing something compact to take notes with. It's not even a good web surfing machine due to it's odd screen size. If I needed something ultra small I would just as soon get a Hackintosh for 300 bucks. I thought I wanted on until I went to the Apple store and played around with one. Changed my mind totally and got the 13" model. It's got the same screen real estate as my old 15" MBP and plenty of horsepower under the hood. Plus it's still remarkably small and lightweight.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
you just make friends with a lot of 11" MBA users... Haha~

Falkowski83

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
11"

Small form factor, lightweight, good battery life, and excelent keyboard for continuous typing (3-5 hours).

And obviously it's performance can't be compared to any of the 11" solutions on the market.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
funny...11 gets bashed in the responses but leads in the poll.
For me 13 hits the sweetspot - and thats what i got.

Whats portability without power... or power without portability? :D

Not to forget, faster processor, faster FSB, Larger screen (read more word-processing friendly), longer battery life, and SD slot.

11 is beautiful and ultraportable, but then its not an alrounder for my work.

Above notwithstanding - go with what works for "you" not public at large. You wouldnt buy the jeans size i wear, would you? :D

Last edited:

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
For me 13 hits the sweetspot - and thats what i got.

Whats portability without power... or power without portability? :D

Not to forget, faster processor, faster FSB, Larger screen (read more word-processing friendly), longer battery life, and SD slot.

11 is beautiful and ultraportable, but then its not an alrounder for my work.

thats why they make two choices....

if power was a concern for me then it would be 13 MBP all the way...

but how much power do I need to run a business or two.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
While I really love the 11", it wasn't practical for me so I opted for the 13": Longer battery, larger SSD, and larger screen. In the end I am very satisfied with my decision.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I have been working with using an external hard drive for my itunes library on the 11" and it has worked very well. I have 50GB free on the 11" base model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.